• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,434 posts in this topic

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 1:49 PM, trmoore54 said:

ASM 11 IN 9.6...ptetty cover...but when's the last time you saw a 9.6 with cream to off-white pages?  Still a very pretty book...in the upcoming Feb Heritage Auction from the so-called Simi Valley Collection... :cloud9:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-11-marvel-1964-cgc-nm-96-cream-to-off-white-pages/p/7177-32007.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

ASM11_9.6.jpg

tom, there are tons of 9.6 c/ow books.  i was curious myself, so ran a h'tage archives search for "9.6 cream" and they all come up.  mostly gold, but many, many silver books as well.

On 1/3/2018 at 4:00 PM, Straw-Man said:

when posting the vulture covers, i forgot all about this one!

asm24.jpg

Man, I'd love to see your books in person.  Such a great collection.

24 is another great Ditko cover.   

On 1/1/2018 at 7:15 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I can't speculate about how an auction will turn out, but I've noticed a pattern in high grade books listed for sale by sellers (won't name names) who are well known for asking way more than GPA for their books on eBay and other sites that accept third-party consignments.  The pattern is basically that a CR/OW copy will be offered for right around GPA, and OW, OW/W, and White pages will go up from there.

For a book like this, GPA's sample size is very low (just one sale of a 9.6 in the last 6 years, for $16,730 in 2015).  So it's not clear how much of a guide GPA will be for bidders.  If GPA had more (and more recent) data points, I'd be curious to see whether my theory holds up and the book earns a hammer price right around GPA or perhaps a little bit under.

Sigh I have a "feeling" that this book is going to be a big number. In this grade it is on so many want lists  , as we all know how tough it is to find in high grade. Arguably the most difficult ASM  in my humble opinion anyway.  I know where 4 of those 7 are and they won't be going anywhere . Speaking of , anyone know where that Mass copy went to? Those are some nice books the multiples inventor himself brought out . 

While PQ is always a factor for me, as I have found most of my White paged copies to have superior color and gloss as one would expect. This book looks awfully sharp. But Heritage has their scanning engine DIALED in to say the least. So book in hand can be a completely different beast. If anyone has first hand experience with this particular book please let me know, I would really like to fill one of my few remaining holes in my ASM run, just a tough call if it pushes over 20 like I expect it to with less then superb paper. 

On 1/1/2018 at 8:33 PM, Philreal said:

So curious, in your opinion how much will the PQ affect the end hammer price?

No one will be able to tell.  Spidey #11 in cgc 9.6 is so rare with so little sales data that the end hammer price is near impossible to relate to prior sales reported in GPA, where there are only 4 recorded in 9.6 since 2004.

With that said, there's no question that for this grade and those who collect it that the page quality will blunt the final sale price.

On 1/9/2018 at 4:59 PM, Haupia said:

Aliens & minisink warrior .... those are unbelievably nice books. Thanks for sharing. .... I'm on my way to completing a run myself. :headbang:

Thanks :) and good luck with your run just sent the ASM 14 to CGC hoping for at least a 3.5 maybe he press job could bounce it up a half point or so