• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

1 minute ago, Straw-Man said:

tks!  that concludes the "must have" upgrades from 1-38.  from here out, there are a half-dozen or so i'd think about bumping up to 9.0 from 8.0's and 8.5's, but it'll be a very secondary pursuit.

:popcorn::ohnoez:

26 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

didn't expect to upgrade into anything higher than an 8.0, but i am a geek, after all.

asm3-1.jpg

This book looks REALLY nice ! I like the cert number = tightly graded. I love the tiny date stamp. Nice pickup, congrats !

23 hours ago, Pontoon said:

Shifting gears, I’ve been re-reading my ASMs and just got to #38 this weekend. I know this is considered to be a rather blah issue, but it was kind of sad; the end of an era. While Ditko seemed to put as much into the story as any other issue, it spots the art looked a bit rushed. He was stricken from the letters page, too; instead of "Dear Stan and Steve” every letter was addressed to "Dear Stan.”

Another interesting item is that in the house ad for upcoming comics, the cover of FF #52 is obscured by a blurb. I imagine that’s because the original was re-drawn and the new version wasn’t ready at press time.

I've been re-reading the ASM series as well and am on #40 actually. The Ditko era was nice from a historical aspect, but there is no denying the series has a dramatic increase in quality with issue 39. The art and storytelling get a huge bump. That first year of Romita is sort of amazing in terms of new storytelling. Instead of all the same old boring street level criminal types, we get the first true Green Goblin story, Rhino, the Lizard, Shocker and Kingpin. 

18 minutes ago, Spyder! said:

Wow, these upgrades to 9.0's make me realize how sad my upgrades from 2.5's to 3.5's are.

Obviously it all depends what specific issues you're talking about, but whatever you collect at whatever grade, enjoy it!  There will always be somebody whose collection is "better" but only your collection is yours!

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

Wow, these upgrades to 9.0's make me realize how sad my upgrades from 2.5's to 3.5's are.

nothing sad about a funny-book you love!

p.s.  the guy with the best avatar on the boards NEVER should feel sad about his collection!

Edited by Straw-Man

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

nothing sad about a funny-book you love!

p.s.  the guy with the best avatar on the boards NEVER should feel sad about his collection!

Haha, thanks.  I love my collection and I get super excited when I upgrade, even if it is a 2.0 to a 3.0 or something!  Just lusting after your beautiful books, that is all :cloud9:

1 hour ago, Spyder! said:

The avatar is from my copy of ASM #2.  I love that someone doodled on it!  I have "good luck" in purchasing old issues where someone doodled on my Spidey I guess.  This one is from my copy of ASM #10.  Should I consider making a switch lol

Capture.JPG

Yeah, that is a bit less lovable than your “side-eye” Spidey.

My first copy of FF 4 was given the full doodle treatment; word balloons, arrows thru heads, blacked out teeth, etc.

I do not miss it.