• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2018 at 5:37 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I hear you 100%.  I'm a run collector as well, and it's amazing how differently I feel when I see specific books spiking in price depending on whether I've already got a copy (satisfaction / relief) or whether I am still looking for one (anxiety / panic).  :ohnoez:

If you ever want to know which Spidey book is about to get hot, just ask me which books I'm about to be in the market for. I think the last 3 zoomed up right before I got around to buying them. :cry: 

On 8/3/2018 at 9:19 PM, Webhead2018 said:

God makes me feel like urrghh going to be hard to ever complete my run from 441 to 1 of things I have missing in over 300 issues. When things keep going up and up in prices. Really need to win that Power ball some time lol.

I totally feel your pain, Webhead2018. I got back into collecting ASM in 2013, my LCS had two long boxes of someones personal collection, which I immediately jumped on, that consisted of issues 500-650, excluding some variants. I'm still working on my list too! 

57 minutes ago, Otter1775 said:

I totally feel your pain, Webhead2018. I got back into collecting ASM in 2013, my LCS had two long boxes of someones personal collection, which I immediately jumped on, that consisted of issues 500-650, excluding some variants. I'm still working on my list too! 

Take your time. It's fun!

When you guys talk about filling in super-long runs, like 1-441 or even 1-700, are you talking about graded copies all the way through the run?

I've got my hands full trying to complete a graded run of #1-200, and I have raw copies of #201-700 with the exception of graded copies of #238, 239, 252, the McFarlane books (298-325 and 328), and 361-363.  I'm finding that challenging enough!  I'm hugely impressed with anyone trying to put together the full run graded.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

When you guys talk about filling in super-long runs, like 1-441 or even 1-700, are you talking about graded copies all the way through the run?

I've got my hands full trying to complete a graded run of #1-200, and I have raw copies of #201-700 with the exception of graded copies of #238, 239, 252, the McFarlane books (298-325 and 328), and 361-363.  I'm finding that challenging enough!  I'm hugely impressed with anyone trying to put together the full run graded.

I am personally going for 1-50 graded and then raw up to 400 with some exceptions similar to yours and some key issues in the 100-200 run. I don't aim for super high grades for the raw silver - bronze age issues (I consider a keeper every nice 8.0 or better copy) and I definitely don't have the space for so many graded copies, so I think this suits me for now.

9 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Yeah going for the full run. 11 ASM's left. Only about 40 slabs so far. I'll keep sending in my slab-worthy copies from here on out & replacing the ones that aren't slab-worthy. It's a never ending process, but it's a lot of fun. I've stopped my ASM variant chase though. Too many after 700. Pre-700 I'll still fill in. I'll probably unload my post 700 variants to help finish off my run. 

If I had it to do over, I'd do it a little differently though. I bought anything I didn't have whenever I saw it. Easy to blow through money buying up common issues. I'd make a list of keys and other expensive issues and focus on those first. Also, you should try to figure out what grades you will be happy with, especially on the keys. 

Edited by Not A Clone

On 8/6/2018 at 9:27 AM, Not A Clone said:

Yeah going for the full run. 11 ASM's left. Only about 40 slabs so far. I'll keep sending in my slab-worthy copies from here on out & replacing the ones that aren't slab-worthy. It's a never ending process, but it's a lot of fun. I've stopped my ASM variant chase though. Too many after 700. Pre-700 I'll still fill in. I'll probably unload my post 700 variants to help finish off my run. 

Funny, I stopped collecting ASM new from a dealer in the #400 range. I got tired of the way too many variants back then, before they got worse later. I thought one every two weeks was great in Summer, until they began the variants. I got 40+ copies of ASM 361-363, those Carnage issues, and then saw, where do I store all of these. You learn to downsize.

14 minutes ago, Peter Loves Gwen said:

Funny, I stopped collecting ASM new from a dealer in the #400 range. I got tired of the way too many variants back then, before they got worse later. I thought one every two weeks was great in Summer, until they began the variants. I got 40+ copies of ASM 361-363, those Carnage issues, and then saw, where do I store all of these. You learn to downsize.

Yeah, downsizing. I'm realizing now that by the time I "finish" my ASM goal, I won't have have room for the non-spidey stuff without using my storage space. Getting rid of most of that now. Adios DC!

On 8/5/2018 at 10:56 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

My run of 2-441 only includes two books that I purchased in a slab; a 6.5 #6 and a 5.5 #8. I removed a 4.0 #18 and I purchased a previously removed 4.0 #9. I also have a 9.0 Golden Record #1 on order.

I have very nice copies of #s 15, 19, 39, 40, 50, and all of the keys from 100 up, that I should have graded but I like being able to hold the actual books.

I am slowly acquiring Graded 100-200 and I am at about 30% or so with a goal of 9.6 white pages or better. I have all the keys except the 101 which is now price prohibitive so I may compromise at 9.2 or just wait until the prices go down on it if they ever will. 200-700 are raw except for the main keys and some minor keys that I got at a good price. I no longer have any below 100.

8 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

I am slowly acquiring Graded 100-200 and I am at about 30% or so with a goal of 9.6 white pages or better. I have all the keys except the 101 which is now price prohibitive so I may compromise at 9.2 or just wait until the prices go down on it if they ever will. 200-700 are raw except for the main keys and some minor keys that I got at a good price. I no longer have any below 100.

My goal right now would be 9.6 WP for #151-200, and 9.4 OW/W or better for #16-150.  Before #16, I have a couple of 9.4s but it's mostly going to be 9.0s ... from #4-15 at least.  I don't own #1-3 yet, and I'm still trying to figure out what grade I can responsibly afford for each of those.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

On 8/8/2018 at 5:52 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

My goal right now would be 9.6 WP for #151-200, and 9.4 OW/W or better for #16-150.  Before #16, I have a couple of 9.4s but it's mostly going to be 9.0s ... from #4-15 at least.  I don't own #1-3 yet, and I'm still trying to figure out what grade I can responsibly afford for each of those.

That sounds close to my long-term plan. Short term will be to finish off the last few I need & then that constant OCD tick of "it isn't complete yet" will go away and I can start upgrading where I need to when I find a deal I like without having to focus on any one particular book. I'll probably be breaking the grades down a little more and hitting the 9.2's around #30 or so. I'll probably go for 9.4 around the same mark as you. After 250 I'll probably be going for 9.8 only. Not too many expensive keys in there. The plan is to start doing a bi-weekly CGC mailing consisting of 1-2 of the oldest books I have plus 2-3 of the newest. We'll meet in the middle lol. That way I have a constant flow of books coming back & the wait doesn't seem so bad.:bigsmile: I realize this is going to be a constant never-ending process, but it's fun! I have my omnibus' to read those older issues and plenty of doubles that I'll end up selling off. Oh and let's not forget the variants! Lol. I decided I'll be happy with a full variant set up to 700. I have most of those already, with the exception of 678 & 688. After 700, they got stupid with the amount of variants. I doubt I go for all of the 666 store variants unless I managed to find a full set for sale. Chasing those down individually would probably drive me nuts. Well, that's my plan for now until it changes. :whee:

2 hours ago, Not A Clone said:

That sounds close to my long-term plan. Short term will be to finish off the last few I need & then that constant OCD tick of "it isn't complete yet" will go away and I can start upgrading where I need to when I find a deal I like without having to focus on any one particular book. I'll probably be breaking the grades down a little more and hitting the 9.2's around #30 or so. I'll probably go for 9.4 around the same mark as you. After 250 I'll probably be going for 9.8 only. Not too many expensive keys in there. The plan is to start doing a bi-weekly CGC mailing consisting of 1-2 of the oldest books I have plus 2-3 of the newest. We'll meet in the middle lol. That way I have a constant flow of books coming back & the wait doesn't seem so bad.:bigsmile: I realize this is going to be a constant never-ending process, but it's fun! I have my omnibus' to read those older issues and plenty of doubles that I'll end up selling off. Oh and let's not forget the variants! Lol. I decided I'll be happy with a full variant set up to 700. I have most of those already, with the exception of 678 & 688. After 700, they got stupid with the amount of variants. I doubt I go for all of the 666 store variants unless I managed to find a full set for sale. Chasing those down individually would probably drive me nuts. Well, that's my plan for now until it changes. :whee:

Definitely curious to hear about your progress as time goes on!