• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, mosconi said:

Was just able to upgrade my #17 thanks to a fellow boardie (thumbsu and put together my Green Goblin trifecta.  A few newton rings on the #17 but otherwise very pleased again:

spiderman 14 cgc 75152.jpg

spiderman 14 cgc 75 fc153.jpg

aaaaaaaaaasm ###17 frt616.jpg

aaaaaaaaasm ##17 frt613.jpg

aaaaaaaaaasm ###23626.jpg

asm #23 frt #3431.jpg

Great Goblin books. His appearances have always been more desirable to me than Doc Ock. IMO he is THE Spidey villain.

On 8/10/2018 at 4:41 PM, mosconi said:

Was just able to upgrade my #17 thanks to a fellow boardie (thumbsu and put together my Green Goblin trifecta.  A few newton rings on the #17 but otherwise very pleased again:

spiderman 14 cgc 75152.jpg

spiderman 14 cgc 75 fc153.jpg

aaaaaaaaaasm ###17 frt616.jpg

aaaaaaaaasm ##17 frt613.jpg

aaaaaaaaaaasm ###23644.jpg

asm #23 frt #4432.jpg

Great books Andrew!  I've been wanting to upgrade both my #14 & 23.  

Hi all - I'm still fairly new the boards. I'm working on a 1-100 run, about 40% there at the moment. I still have some pretty big gaps in the 1-20 range. Most notably issues 1-3. Just reading through the thread history and there are some great looking books in your collections. I'm mostly going for books in FN to VF rage (and will likely go lower for #s 1-3). After I complete the set I may go back and upgrade some. I usually get my books from auction sites. Heritage & Comic Connect have been great sources so far. I'm planning to get to a few cons in the fall as well. And I try to check the sellers thread here as often as I can.

Any tips or advice for a newbie?

33 minutes ago, Noble52 said:

Hi all - I'm still fairly new the boards. I'm working on a 1-100 run, about 40% there at the moment. I still have some pretty big gaps in the 1-20 range. Most notably issues 1-3. Just reading through the thread history and there are some great looking books in your collections. I'm mostly going for books in FN to VF rage (and will likely go lower for #s 1-3). After I complete the set I may go back and upgrade some. I usually get my books from auction sites. Heritage & Comic Connect have been great sources so far. I'm planning to get to a few cons in the fall as well. And I try to check the sellers thread here as often as I can.

40% for the first 100 is really a lot of work, congrats! (thumbsu

I consider myself a newbie as well, so probably not the most suitable person to give advice, but from my experience I would suggest to go for the big books first. Those are the ones that just keep getting more and more expensive the more you wait. I would need to pay almost the double for my #1 that I purchased only a couple of years ago if I wanted to get it today and I did pay the double for my recently acquired #2 and #3 compared to what I would have paid two years ago. That doesn't translate however to "jump on the first copies you find". Take your time and find books you love, that you would consider keepers but try to save your budget for these right copies by avoiding getting "filler" books that you can always get later for the same price or a bit more. Just my 12 cents.

On 8/16/2018 at 2:18 PM, Noble52 said:

Best advice is have a buying plan. Only you know your budget. Stay on top of current prices. They change daily it seems. I went through GPA & made a chart of every price of every grade for each issue. It has to be updated frequently. This helps you not only see what grade you can afford, but also where you may be able to find a bargain. Watch as many auctions as you can. Knock out the expensive stuff first. They will only get more expensive. Good luck & make sure you're having fun!

6 minutes ago, Not A Clone said:

Best advice is have a buying plan. Only you know your budget. Stay on top of current prices. They change daily it seems. I went through GPA & made a chart of every price of every grade for each issue. It has to be updated frequently. This helps you not only see what grade you can afford, but also where you may be able to find a bargain. Watch as many auctions as you can. Knock out the expensive stuff first. They will only get more expensive. Good luck & make sure you're having fun!

THIS = 100%

Sage advice:preach:, perfectly said...couldn't agree more!