• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

I'm shooting for 7.0 from 7-19, then 8.0 from 20-69. Then 9.2 from 70-129...I think I'm leaning to 160 to start my 9.8s just because they're are a couple of 150s that are really hard to find in that grade if I remember correctly. I plan to do #1 @ 3.0 (upgrade), #2 -4 @ 4.0, #5 & 6 @ 6.0. Took me most of the year to come up with that plan. I can live happily with those grades & it is doable cost-wise. AF 15 will end up being a .5 probably just to have it. Congrats again on all of those beauties! 

2 hours ago, mosconi said:

Beautiful book SECollector!  One of my all-time favorite covers :applause: Haven't posted anything in a long while, but here's my #6:

Thanks man. Favourite cover, favourite character and one of my favourite early ASM stories as well. I like the tragic nature of Dr. Connors fate and the unique way that Ditko used to portray the duality of his personality. Good stuff.

On 11/20/2018 at 5:39 PM, Straw-Man said:

being a g.a. guy, the arrival dates don't trouble me.  i do understand lots of silver collectors abhor them.

asm13.jpg

I actually just grabbed an issue #13 with an arrival stamp on the back. Is it also a "Mar 9"? I am not sure. I used to collect cards and every little mark on them was a disaster, so I got used to avoid writing and stamps as the pest. But I don't mind tidy and nice looking arrival stamps anymore. 

(I will post the front cover when I actually have it in my hands. I got it from the latest HA auction).

1629431203_lfcopy.thumb.jpeg.37b89bef856aaaa2bfd0ac3255df56c9.jpeg

3 hours ago, SECollector said:

I actually just grabbed an issue #13 with an arrival stamp on the back. Is it also a "Mar 9"? I am not sure. I used to collect cards and every little mark on them was a disaster, so I got used to avoid writing and stamps as the pest. But I don't mind tidy and nice looking arrival stamps anymore. 

(I will post the front cover when I actually have it in my hands. I got it from the latest HA auction).

1629431203_lfcopy.thumb.jpeg.37b89bef856aaaa2bfd0ac3255df56c9.jpeg

I like the placement on this one.....

3080999_Full_Rev.jpg?t=Ni8xNi8yMDE4IDc6MjA6NDggQU0%3d

Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this but was curious if anyone could explain what happened here. A restored ASM 1 finishes on ebay within 10% of a recent unrestored copy of the same grade

$2300: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-MAR-1963-MARVEL-STAN-LEE-STEVE-DITKO-CGC-0-5-SLIGHT-C-1/132860647851

$2551: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1-Vol-1-CGC-0-5-1st-App-of-JJJ-and-Chameleon-Nice-Book-1963-/202480524709

1 hour ago, dinesh_s said:

Apologies if this isn't the right place to post this but was curious if anyone could explain what happened here. A restored ASM 1 finishes on ebay within 10% of a recent unrestored copy of the same grade

$2300: https://www.ebay.com/itm/AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-1-MAR-1963-MARVEL-STAN-LEE-STEVE-DITKO-CGC-0-5-SLIGHT-C-1/132860647851

$2551: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Amazing-Spider-Man-1-Vol-1-CGC-0-5-1st-App-of-JJJ-and-Chameleon-Nice-Book-1963-/202480524709

Edit: after looking at the actual bidders, this obviously doesn't hold water: The only thing I can think is there was more than one person who wanted this book 19 days after bidding and losing the unrestored book? The restored book did have slightly nicer PQ but the tape residue would be a problem for me(that's me though).Who knows nowadays with these key issues. Maybe 10% would be the difference with same grade between restored & non. (shrug)

Edited by Philreal
DIDN'T DO MY HOMEWORK!

50 minutes ago, dinesh_s said:

I'll offer two theories.

Theory #1 is simple:  Obviously a restored book is generally going to be valued lower than an unrestored book of the same grade, but the gap is wider the higher the grade, and conversely it's smaller the lower the grade.

Theory #2 is a bit more convoluted, and has two sub-theories, because why the hell not.  It seems to me that the entire concept of a restored book getting the lowest possible grade is a little crazy.  Why bother to restore a book at all if you can't get it higher than 0.5?  Which makes me think that the buyer of such a book would have a lot of motivation to crack it out and do one of two things with it:

• Attempt to have the restoration professionally removed, resulting in an unrestored 0.5
  • Go all-in on restoration, getting a professional to do some really good work on the book in an attempt to elevate its grade substantially

Either way, the buyer would end up increasing the value of the book by a fair amount.

27 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I'll offer two theories.

Theory #1 is simple:  Obviously a restored book is generally going to be valued lower than an unrestored book of the same grade, but the gap is wider the higher the grade, and conversely it's smaller the lower the grade.

Theory #2 is a bit more convoluted, and has two sub-theories, because why the hell not.  It seems to me that the entire concept of a restored book getting the lowest possible grade is a little crazy.  Why bother to restore a book at all if you can't get it higher than 0.5?  Which makes me think that the buyer of such a book would have a lot of motivation to crack it out and do one of two things with it:

• Attempt to have the restoration professionally removed, resulting in an unrestored 0.5
  • Go all-in on restoration, getting a professional to do some really good work on the book in an attempt to elevate its grade substantially

Either way, the buyer would end up increasing the value of the book by a fair amount.

Hi Lou, question: with a married page 13 that is apparently missing would buyer still get an unrestored blue label if other restoration was successfully removed?

1 minute ago, Philreal said:

Hi Lou, question: with a married page 13 that is apparently missing would buyer still get an unrestored blue label if other restoration was successfully removed?

Oh, now that I look closer I see what you mean about the missing page.  Honestly I don't know the answer to your question -- but I'd guess that it would get a purple label.

4 hours ago, SECollector said:

My #6 arrived and I just needed to take a family photo of my earliest issues.

I now neeeeeed to find a 5. Or a 9. Or a 15. I would settle with a 7 or a nice 20 as well. :ohnoez:

IMG_6443.thumb.jpeg.67148740a0da5697c09f00216420370f.jpeg

Family photos like this warm the heart come holiday season:x  This run you are on is really something...seeing them together like this is really inspiring(worship)  Such beauties... continued luck and success in obtaining #9, 15, 20 etc(thumbsu