• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

On 11/20/2018 at 10:26 AM, Straw-Man said:

i shifted the "upgrade bug" wants over to the x-overs, cuz i've found myself so resistant to paying the prices needed these days to upgrade the several i'd like in 9.0 from 4 to 15 [i don't include the 1&2, as they are not even on the table in 9.0].   same goes for s.t. ann. 2---it'll just have to stay this way.

stann2.jpg

well, i offer my new upgrade, that wasn't meant to be the upgrade.   the story:  despite forswearing attempting to bump up this book, i see a 9.0 on c'link, and decide to have a go at it--with a twist.  instead of my usual habit of selling my uc after i get the new one nailed down, this time, to embolden me to win by being extra-flush going in, I decide to sell the uc BEFORE IT'S BECOME A UC.  so the above-quoted book sells right here on this board, i'm loaded for bear for the 9.0, and i bid out past gpa sure of a win---only to lose.  well, finding myself with a hole in the strange tales run AND a hole in the "every spidey s.a. appearance" run, i managed to find this'un, not quite the upgrade desired, but a pretty nice copy nonetheless.

stann2.png

Edited by Straw-Man

14 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

well, i offer my new upgrade, that wasn't meant to be the upgrade.   the story:  despite forswearing attempting to bump up this book, i see a 9.0 on c'link, and decide to have a go at it--with a twist.  instead of my usual habit of selling my uc after i get the new one nailed down, this time, to embolden me to win by being extra-flush going in, I decide to sell the uc BEFORE IT'S BECOME A UC.  so the above-quoted book sells right here on this board, i'm loaded for bear for the 9.0, and i bid out past gpa sure of a win---only to lose.  well, finding myself with a hole in the strange tales run AND a hole in the "every spidey s.a. appearance" run, i managed to find this'un, not quite the upgrade desired, but a pretty nice copy nonetheless.

stann2.png

That's a beautiful upgrade Straw-Man!  (thumbsu

3 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Some great looking early asm guys. I wish I had more early ones myself. I have a meh looking 3 that likely wouldn' break 2.0 to 3.0 range. Plan to get it graded next year. Then my next earliest one is asm#21.

I feel you. I’ve only got 10 low grade SA Spideys left, and I’m including two annuals!

I really enjoy what I have, tho. 

33 minutes ago, jgabany said:

Here's my new copy of ASM #1.  It represents an upgrade from my CGC 4.0 copy that was sold to help fund this purchase   This edition has some obvious Marvel chipping around the edges of the front cover plus the back cover has a December 11, 1962 date stamp near the upper right corner.  Nonetheless, I am delighted to have this in my hands!

small_ASM1_CGC5.thumb.jpg.b92000de6f6b2f733437e56065bc18d5.jpg

Congrats Jay!  That's a beautiful book and very happy for you! :golfclap:

4 hours ago, jgabany said:

Here's my new copy of ASM #1.  It represents an upgrade from my CGC 4.0 copy that was sold to help fund this purchase   This edition has some obvious Marvel chipping around the edges of the front cover plus the back cover has a December 11, 1962 date stamp near the upper right corner.  Nonetheless, I am delighted to have this in my hands!

small_ASM1_CGC5.thumb.jpg.b92000de6f6b2f733437e56065bc18d5.jpg

Really nice book!  For what it's worth, the lighter colors on the edges of ASM 1 (as opposed to AF 15 in particular) really soften the impact of the chips on the book's overall eye appeal.  Congrats on a great pickup!

wish my 8 had a 9 on the front!

i know most everyone thinks this is the lamest [along with 10] of the early covers, and surely it isn't a classic, but i do like the almost graytone rendition of the spider, and i'm a sucker for yella covers in any case.  thumbs-up for #8 from this geek.

Edited by Straw-Man

5 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Really nice book!  For what it's worth, the lighter colors on the edges of ASM 1 (as opposed to AF 15 in particular) really soften the impact of the chips on the book's overall eye appeal.  Congrats on a great pickup!

Thanks for sharing your perspective on the cover chipping!  I agree- the edge colors do make the problem less noticeable and helps turns the frown upside down!  :)

1. Good, but Spidey could be a little more prominent.

2. Weird feet. Everything else works.

3. Excellent, but personally, I prefer covers that don’t show my hero helpless.

4. Another goodie, but panel covers are hit and miss, and one tiny little error on it haunts me.

5. Ok, but FF has spoiled me on Doom.

6. Not in love with Spidey’s pose; again, just my opinion. It’s a really good cover.

7. Weird leg.

8. :headbang:

9. Really good, but see #3.

10. Bad.