• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

my project for '19:  save for a handful of slabs, my spidey's 39-79 are raw.   I'm going to slab those that appear 9.0 or better, sell the ones that aren't [board gets first shot], and will go on the hunt for those that didn't make the cut.   should be fun getting the silver age books all in nice shape!

19 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

my project for '19:  save for a handful of slabs, my spidey's 39-79 are raw.   I'm going to slab those that appear 9.0 or better, sell the ones that aren't [board gets first shot], and will go on the hunt for those that didn't make the cut.   should be fun getting the silver age books all in nice shape!

popcorn.gif

Edited by Philreal

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

first one bought off a rack!  the rest is history. 

asm16.jpg

This was the first Ditko Spidey story I ever read when I bought Marvel Tales #11 off the rack back in '67. I thought DD's costume was uber cool!

23 hours ago, Philreal said:

YOU AND I MUST BE CLOSE TO THE SAME AGE AS #15 WAS MY FIRST!

We never forget our first, do we?

If I recall correctly, my first Spider-Man story was this one from ASM 16 although it was in the Nov 1967 issue of Marvel Tales (number 11) which was probably on the rack in September.  That would have made me nine.  After that, a friend loaned me AF 15 to read (but not to keep, dammit!) and I was hooked on Spidey (and DD) from then on.  I started buying Spidey pretty regularly off the rack starting with issue 53 from October which was still available.  Where I grew up, there was no availability of back issues so I didn't know what I'd missed except for the occasional Marvel Tales.  Before that I had only read DC.

@Straw-Man, how in the world did you keep the pages in the book white all of these years?  Nice book.  :cloud9:

jim, that's about the 5th iteration of the book since the one bought in '64.   i have very few of my original books left, and tho' the 16 is looong gone, i ended up loving the spider so much that i grabbed 2 books with him in  'em almost immediately.   by some odd luck, those 2 ARE still with me.

asmann1-1.jpg

mt1uc.jpg

21 minutes ago, Jim Corrigan said:

We never forget our first, do we?

If I recall correctly, my first Spider-Man story was this one from ASM 16 although it was in the Nov 1967 issue of Marvel Tales (number 11) which was probably on the rack in September.  That would have made me nine.  After that, a friend loaned me AF 15 to read (but not to keep, dammit!) and I was hooked on Spidey (and DD) from then on.  I started buying Spidey pretty regularly off the rack starting with issue 53 from October which was still available.  Where I grew up, there was no availability of back issues so I didn't know what I'd missed except for the occasional Marvel Tales.  Before that I had only read DC.

@Straw-Man, how in the world did you keep the pages in the book white all of these years?  Nice book.  :cloud9:

I discovered the Web Spinner, and Marvel in general, at basically the same time and same age as you. ASM King Size Special #4 was my introduction to Marvel comics. My first 12 cent issue was #54 and Marvel Tales #11 was my intro to DD.

I was lucky when it came to collecting back issues. There was a small book store a few miles from our house owned by an old guy named Hall who I later realized must have been the twin brother of the Tinkerer. He looked just like him! Anyway, I was able to fill in my Spidey collection with all of the Romita issues and a few Ditkos back to #20. I remember on my first visit  to old man Hall's I left with 25 glorious back issues of mostly Spidey and Tales of Suspense, all for the princely sum of $1.25. He bought used comics for 2 cents and sold them for 5. Those were the days, my friends...

Very nice book there. One of my plans for 2019 is to defiantly get some more books slab. Though hard to choose which ones. As for buying any 1 to 100s Era stuff I haven' done it in awhile. Stupid real life preventing that at the time. So just been sticking to current stuff.

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

jim, that's about the 5th iteration of the book since the one bought in '64.   i have very few of my original books left, and tho' the 16 is looong gone, i ended up loving the spider so much that i grabbed 2 books with him in  'em almost immediately.   by some odd luck, those 2 ARE still with me.

Haha, now they look more like the original books I have left over.  I had a copy of TTA 27 passed down from an older cousin which was in such bad shape, chunks missing out of the cover, pepsi stains and what-not, that the local comic shop ran me out of the store when I offered it up for sale one Christmas when I was a broke grad student.

1 hour ago, JohnH19 said:

I discovered the Web Spinner, and Marvel in general, at basically the same time and same age as you. ASM King Size Special #4 was my introduction to Marvel comics. My first 12 cent issue was #54 and Marvel Tales #11 was my intro to DD.

I was lucky when it came to collecting back issues. There was a small book store a few miles from our house owned by an old guy named Hall who I later realized must have been the twin brother of the Tinkerer. He looked just like him! Anyway, I was able to fill in my Spidey collection with all of the Romita issues and a few Ditkos back to #20. I remember on my first visit  to old man Hall's I left with 25 glorious back issues of mostly Spidey and Tales of Suspense, all for the princely sum of $1.25. He bought used comics for 2 cents and sold them for 5. Those were the days, my friends...

The town I grew up in was very rural with only about 350 people living there.  The closest city was 30 miles away and there might have been a shop with back issues but I didn't even conceive of such a thing as a child so I never looked for one.  There was a slightly older fellow in town who had many of the earlier issues of Spider-Man, a bit of an odd duck.  Rumor had it that he removed the covers from all of his books to keep them in nice shape so he could read the issue as often as he wanted.  I've always wondered if any of those books ended up being graded and what sort of grade they received.

6 hours ago, Philreal said:

unfortunately my scanner picks up the waves on this slab....nice bright colors though for a 7.5(of course I'm prejudice). I bought this raw from my LCS back in the 90's for $100.00 which I thought was a pretty fair deal at the time. The prices as they are today I don't see upgrading and to be honest I'm pretty happy with this one.

1209196_Full_Obv.jpg?t=Ny8xLzIwMTggNzozODo0NSBBTQ%3d%3d

This is one of the nicest 7.5s I have seen, looks veeeery clean. Nice!

1 hour ago, JohnH19 said:

I posted this pic in the Group Shots thread but it fits in here, too.

IMG_0500.thumb.jpg.92a387dffbd060bd362d37f885a97d3a.jpg

Nice set of books!

Seeing all the covers together, it's amazing how all 10 of these covers show Spider-Man helpless, trapped, on the defensive, or (as I interpret #10) in the process of getting ambushed.  The primary image on #8 is the only one that could be described as a classic heroic pose, alongside the Torch, but he's definitely in trouble against that robot in the inset circle.

Aside from Kirby's cover to Amazing Fantasy #15, and the partial credit for #8, you could argue that Spider-Man isn't depicted in a position of strength, like you'd expect for a traditional hero, until the cover to issue #19.  (He seems to be holding his own on the covers to #16 and #17, but he definitely doesn't have the upper hand in either image.)

To be clear, Marvel's covers across the board frequently showed their heroes in tight spots or on the defensive, but never as consistently as Spider-Man.  It's easy to see why it was so revolutionary for its time.