• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Straw-Man said:

it is indeed a terrific cover.  purr-dee copy there, sir.

I wonder what people thought when they saw it on the newsstand. Romita’s artwork was such a departure from Ditko’s.

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

my little almost-11 yr old self recalls loving the new look, but it could've had something to do with 39 & 40 being so much better than the few just before.

I was 8 when I got 39 and 40 as part of my Hall’s Book Store haul in the summer of ‘67. I had just discovered Marvel a week or so earlier, after two years of reading nothing but DC, and these two issues literally rocked my world. What an incredibly dramatic story line!

28 on the 28th.

The top copy was purchased from my LCS on Saturday as an "upgrade" for the bottom one. I'm not so sure that it is an upgrade, though.

The bottom copy is nicer except for the tape pull on Molten Man's shoulder. Thankfully, it isn't on the black. I didn't even notice it when I bid on it on eBay a few years ago. The only other notable flaw is the white spot close to the spine. It's centered perfectly, the edges and corners are nice, and the cover is smoother and slightly glossier.

The top copy has that diagonal crease that would be helped by a press, the bump at the top corner, creasing along the top and bottom, it's off-center, and the staples are on the back cover which creates gutter loss in the second half of the book. Despite all of that, it's still a nice copy of the notoriously delicate 28.

Which one do you all think is the keeper? Is the tape pull the deciding factor? How much does a tape pull affect the grade? I'm also going to post them in the PGM thread to get some more opinions.

IMG_0576.thumb.jpg.059a296696c8b4bd11e5493844d732c6.jpgIMG_0577.thumb.jpg.8dfd6c4a5991b6bc08658456760ff35b.jpg

Ya me too my asm#3 has tape on top right corner. Along a lot of crease lines. Same with my asm#25. The previous owner snag cover on a piece of tape that pulled off part of middle of the cover. I hope to upgrade my 25 some day.

Issues like that I now pretty much just fold in flap on my storage bags behind the board.

Edited by Webhead2018