• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

On 2/22/2019 at 5:28 PM, Webhead2018 said:

Ya it's price of books. Sucks for being a younger fan in my 30s and trying to back collect now. Vs say even a good ten to 15 years ago.

I hear you. I’m worried the prices will discourage others in our age group from getting back into the hobby. 

6 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

well, my mission to take the run from 39 thru 12/69 in slabbed 9.0, min., began last nite [other than my many raw books that are still at cgc]--got this pretty one of h'tage.

asm63-1.jpg

That's a gorgeous book with stunning colors!  Congrats :golfclap:

On 2/22/2019 at 7:58 PM, chrisco37 said:

It’s a stinger but, if I’m being honest, I was never in the market for this book.  

As great an artist Ditko is, he couldn’t draw Doom.  It’s in the discussion for “worst Ditko cover 1-10”.  8 is the “worst”  book of the 1-10 run, but it’s got that sweet yellow cover.  I know people hate 10, but that’s a fun/good story.  

5 is just a middle of the road book.  Best thing it’s got going for it is “#5”.

Has anyone read 5? I heard it was a doombot and possibly not an “actual” doom appearance.

Having enjoyed the Ditko issues of ASM, I’ve now started exploring Romita’s tenure. Of his first few years working on the title, I’m curious what issues boarders feel are Romita/Lee’s best (and why)?

1 hour ago, sacentaur said:

Having enjoyed the Ditko issues of ASM, I’ve now started exploring Romita’s tenure. Of his first few years working on the title, I’m curious what issues boarders feel are Romita/Lee’s best (and why)?

Issues 39-56 are my favourite run in the history of comic books. Start at the beginning of Romita’s run with issue 39 and enjoy!

On 2/25/2019 at 10:20 AM, Straw-Man said:

well, my mission to take the run from 39 thru 12/69 in slabbed 9.0, min., began last nite [other than my many raw books that are still at cgc]--got this pretty one of h'tage.

asm63-1.jpg

(worship)

Happy to follow you in the next level down Straw-Man! Unfortunately my large scanner is down so I had to use my reg crappy scanner so the book is not as clear. The line along the left side is from the scanner, not on the book.

64880009_ASM63CGC8.5.thumb.jpg.6cb67b20abf6e8e8936a29c7c7930e8c.jpg 

Edited by Philreal

4 hours ago, jason4 said:

:cloud9: Feels so good to be done 

14BC2587-B639-457D-8661-CFA152A9A4AD.thumb.jpeg.a99bc58a27e8e194e9987b824622c6fc.jpeg

I’m done collecting Spider-Man. These are the books I decided to keep for various reasons and I decided against a full run. Got a 1st or second appearance of everybody I cared about. Got some cash and some keys already with the extra $$$ Going to get more mcu related keys and spec books now :headbang:

I'd say that pretty much covers it, I would add the 301 though, but that's just me.  

57 minutes ago, Kevin76 said:

I'd say that pretty much covers it, I would add the 301 though, but that's just me.  

I sold it to my brother ( kept in family) as it was only a 9.0. That book is cool though especially in 9.8. 

Although I have owned this comic for years, I got two autographs (Stan Lee and then John Romita) and a pressing from CCS. When it came back with the Stan Lee signature, it was graded at 7.0. All values listed below were obtained from GPAnalysis.

Amazing-Spider Man #50 - 7.0 - $725

Amazing Spider-Man #50 (Stan Lee autograph) - 7.0 - $895

Amazing Spider-Man #50 - 7.5 - $835

Amazing Spider-Man #50 (Stan Lee and John Romita autographs) - 7.5 - $1978

I would say that the money I spent (less than $600) for all this work was worth it.

Joe

ASM50.JPG

Edited by Joe Ankenbauer
Additional information

On 3/3/2019 at 10:11 PM, jason4 said:

:cloud9: Feels so good to be done 

14BC2587-B639-457D-8661-CFA152A9A4AD.thumb.jpeg.a99bc58a27e8e194e9987b824622c6fc.jpeg

I’m done collecting Spider-Man. These are the books I decided to keep for various reasons and I decided against a full run. Got a 1st or second appearance of everybody I cared about. Got some cash and some keys already with the extra $$$ Going to get more mcu related keys and spec books now :headbang:

Oh boy, I really love group shots like these. Thanks for sharing - awesome selection of books. :cloud9:

2 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

Although I have owned this comic for years, I got two autographs (Stan Lee and then John Romita) and a pressing from CCS. When it came back with the Stan Lee signature, it was graded at 7.0. All values listed below were obtained from GPAnalysis.

Amazing-Spider Man #50 - 7.0 - $725

Amazing Spider-Man #50 (Stan Lee autograph) - 7.0 - $895

Amazing Spider-Man #50 - 7.5 - $835

Amazing Spider-Man #50 (Stan Lee and John Romita autographs) - 7.5 - $1978

I would say that the money I spent (less than $600) for all this work was worth it.

Joe

ASM50.JPG

That is just the best book for sig series. The red cover with the yellow label on top. Wish I had gotten that one signed too. Beautiful book there. 

On 3/2/2019 at 5:49 PM, JohnH19 said:

Issues 39-56 are my favourite run in the history of comic books. Start at the beginning of Romita’s run with issue 39 and enjoy!

Thanks. I generally enjoy Romita’s art and believe him to be a worthy successor of the great Steve Ditko.

Having said that, in spot checking issues of the Romita run at a local LCS I noticed his style trending towards that “70’s look” that I really dislike. I can’t quite explain it, but I know it when I see it.

I’ll follow your tip and continue with ASM 39-56 and see how it goes - thanks again!