• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, piper said:

I've been slowly picking away at re-completing my ASM run.  This time, my focus is 1 to 50, with non keys being 8.0 or higher.  Of course, I keep getting sucked into buying nice looking Romita books in the 50's/60's.

Left to go...

5, 10, 22, 23, 26, 32, 33, and 47.

Word! I mean who could resist a nice looking 55???!!!

On 4/16/2019 at 1:55 PM, Straw-Man said:

tks!  of course, i'm speaking only of the 39-79 part of the run here--still could use a few upgrades among the first 15 books.

I wish I had the first 15 Amazing issues. Still I think I decided which old Amazing comics I'm going after. I pulled out an old box this weekend as my inventory isn't correct. I thought I didn't have the first appearance of Black Cat but it turns out that I do. I know I want to upgrade a few that I was just happy to get when I was young as well.

3 hours ago, GeneticNinja said:

I wish I had the first 15 Amazing issues. Still I think I decided which old Amazing comics I'm going after. I pulled out an old box this weekend as my inventory isn't correct. I thought I didn't have the first appearance of Black Cat but it turns out that I do. I know I want to upgrade a few that I was just happy to get when I was young as well.

I lost all my silver age ASM to flooding so I doubt I will ever go for those again but 100-up and the keys there are very doable (except 101 LOL). That is my collecting focus anyway. The 101 in high grade is beyond my reach at this point so my focus may change to 102-UP LOL.

11 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

I lost all my silver age ASM to flooding so I doubt I will ever go for those again but 100-up and the keys there are very doable (except 101 LOL). That is my collecting focus anyway. The 101 in high grade is beyond my reach at this point so my focus may change to 102-UP LOL.

If you think 101 is up there, wait 'til you try and get 129 in decent condition. Yikes.

16 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

If you think 101 is up there, wait 'til you try and get 129 in decent condition. Yikes.

Yeah that's true. I didn't think about that as I already have a 7.0 and a 9.6 and haven't been looking at those prices. I just looked and see what you mean.

17 minutes ago, WoWitHurts said:

Yeah that's true. I didn't think about that as I already have a 7.0 and a 9.6 and haven't been looking at those prices. I just looked and see what you mean.

You could flip your 7.0 129 for a nice 101.

1 hour ago, JohnH19 said:

You could flip your 7.0 129 for a nice 101.

My preference is 9.6 White pages. I have thought about selling some of my doubles I have like 129,194, 238, 252, 300 etc. to help pay for it but I have had the 7.0 for 40 years and I am not quite ready to part with it.

10 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

My preference is 9.6 White pages. I have thought about selling some of my doubles I have like 129,194, 238, 252, 300 etc. to help pay for it but I have had the 7.0 for 40 years and I am not quite ready to part with it.

Wow that's a dilemma most here wouldn't mind having. If the 252 & 300 are above 9.4 you may not have to flip the 129 if you're willing to spend some extra out of pocket. Anyways if I was after a 101 I'd wait till well after the movie which is in June or July I think

While we're talking about books whose "value" is spiking due to movie hype, let's talk about ASM #210, featuring the first appearance of Madame Web.  I mean, no offense but does anybody really think Madame Web is going to be a major character in the MCU?  Moreover, did anyone ever like that character in the first place?  Definitely one of the more hokey ideas in the Spidey canon IMHO.  I happen to be looking for one in 9.8 to complete a run, and I'm probably going to wait a while in the hopes the crazy asking prices I'm seeing calm down.

3 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

While we're talking about books whose "value" is spiking due to movie hype, let's talk about ASM #210, featuring the first appearance of Madame Web.  I mean, no offense but does anybody really think Madame Web is going to be a major character in the MCU?  Moreover, did anyone ever like that character in the first place?  Definitely one of the more hokey ideas in the Spidey canon IMHO.  I happen to be looking for one in 9.8 to complete a run, and I'm probably going to wait a while in the hopes the crazy asking prices I'm seeing calm down.

I think the speculation is that she is going to be in the next Into the Spider-Verse film, which is way more likely than her being in the live action movies. 

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Same for ASM 212. Mine is a newsstand 9.6 but like Iron man #219 I will wait until until the prices come back to earth before upgrading.

2 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Wow. My books from the 70’s, 80’s and beyond are long gone to fund other comic purchases e.g AF 15. In particular, I loved the Roger Stern Run. I wonder if they still hold up?

2 hours ago, Kon_Jelly said:

I think the speculation is that she is going to be in the next Into the Spider-Verse film, which is way more likely than her being in the live action movies. 

That makes a ton more sense, thanks for clarifying.  I somehow got the impression that she would end up in Far From Home.

51 minutes ago, piper said:

Wow. My books from the 70’s, 80’s and beyond are long gone to fund other comic purchases e.g AF 15. In particular, I loved the Roger Stern Run. I wonder if they still hold up?

I read the Roger Stern written ASM issues not too long ago and I thought they were excellent. I regret not buying the Stern Omnibus, which included his PPSSM stories, when it was still in print.