• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

These are my copies of my three favourite Romita covers plus #40, which is also a great one that should never be separated from #39.

EF498DC7-823A-4FEC-9EA6-D77CC7459CC4.thumb.jpeg.c4f33b1c8b9a942436e7a25934e8d371.jpegF2AC8009-C7E4-4ED1-9F44-F6F4BF8552C8.thumb.jpeg.17370ab3cc3fd23502269e1d21a39b01.jpeg2B306BF2-CE9F-4210-AEE6-6D1CA3414A7D.thumb.jpeg.660dc473346aabdbebf2772b8f128a33.jpegB7DB8FBD-1D34-4301-AD77-D67C473B82B9.thumb.jpeg.f777fa1a84cdd0b94cac4184278e8869.jpeg

Spec mag 2 has always been my favourite cover. Romita painted a true masterpiece.

ASM 39 in my opinion is the best of all the ASM covers. As @Straw-Man stated, the colors on this cover are just beautiful.

47 minutes ago, Keep_It_Clunky said:

Well here's an interesting case. Would like some input. I've had this pretty pro-restored Spidey #13 since the 90s. I finally decided to send it in for grading recently. I opted for one of the new Spidey labels. Grade was posted and it came back 7.5, restored as expected, category A-2. I received the book back today and it's a blue universal label but it still lists the restored work that was performed. It doesn't list the A-2 category on the label. Any thoughts on this? Did CGC make an error and just not use a purple label? 

47887.jpeg

Its more likely that the specialized labels only come in blue.  If the resto were on the notes but not on the label then I would be concerned.  I actually like the look a lot and bet more people who have restored books will do the same.  Great looking copy!

2 minutes ago, comicquant said:

Its more likely that the specialized labels only come in blue.  If the resto were on the notes but not on the label then I would be concerned.  I actually like the look a lot and bet more people who have restored books will do the same.  Great looking copy!

Thanks. I was actually thinking the same thing regarding the specialized label as a possible answer. Cheers

1 minute ago, comicquant said:

If it is true that the specialized labels only come in blue, I have a bad feeling that many will try and pass them off as true blues.

Just now, Jordysnordy said:

If it is true that the specialized labels only come in blue, I have a bad feeling that many will try and pass them off as true blues.

Its the same as Voldy.  They just note the restoration on their stock label.  My first reaction when I saw Clunky's book was "Man, how is that not a 9.4" then looked at the label and saw the resto remark (lastly, read the post text!).  I do like the look and have always wondered why the purple label and not just a note about the resto.  

12 hours ago, comicquant said:

I feel like this is pretty irresponsible on CGC's part. If they don't have the special labels in purple they should use the standard restored label and cancel the fee for the special label. Just listing the restoration notes on a blue label is going to lead to someone eventually getting scammed. 

7 hours ago, mosconi said:

Gorgeous books everyone and continuing to enjoy this thread!  Had the nice fortune to pick up a Spidey #23 that just arrived.  I've always loved this Goblin cover and feel it's right up there with Ditko's best work!  Also trying to add some more symmetry to the Spidey collection:

########asm 23 710.jpg

########asm 23 front711.jpg

spidey 22011.jpg

aaaaaaaasm ##24 frt cvrss594.jpg

aaaaaaaasm ##25 frt cvrs591.jpg

spidery 28019.jpg

Somebody likes his white pages

56 minutes ago, Kon_Jelly said:

I feel like this is pretty irresponsible on CGC's part. If they don't have the special labels in purple they should use the standard restored label and cancel the fee for the special label. Just listing the restoration notes on a blue label is going to lead to someone eventually getting scammed. 

They could just change the top stripe to purple and the text from "Universal" to "Restored"  But I agree, they did not think it through.

Edited by Spidey 62

2 minutes ago, Spidey 62 said:

They could just change the top stripe to purple and the text from "Universal" to "Restored"  But I agree, they did not think it through.

That's what they do for the signature series. Seems like a no brainer to do it for these as well.

signature-series-restored.jpg?cb=2018-04 

5 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Thanks! :bigsmile: Sweet Lou saved me from my ignorance there, but I swear I spent 5 minutes souring that cover. Stupidity is stubborn!

you are not stupid!   [just a little slow].

10 hours ago, mosconi said:

Gorgeous books everyone and continuing to enjoy this thread!  Had the nice fortune to pick up a Spidey #23 that just arrived.  I've always loved this Goblin cover and feel it's right up there with Ditko's best work!  Also trying to add some more symmetry to the Spidey collection:

aaaaaaaasm ##24 frt cvrss594.jpg

Good job! These are all some amazing books and I too value the consistency. I do however give me the space of one whole grade range for my graded silver age Spidey run (7.5 - 8.5).

Issue 24 is one of my favourite SA issues. Both the cover but mostly the story - its cool, entertaining and a tad psychedelic. I still haven't got around to add a nice copy to my run though!

24 minutes ago, SECollector said:

Good job! These are all some amazing books and I too value the consistency. I do however give me the space of one whole grade range for my graded silver age Spidey run (7.5 - 8.5).

Issue 24 is one of my favourite SA issues. Both the cover but mostly the story - its cool, entertaining and a tad psychedelic. I still haven't got around to add a nice copy to my run though!

Thank you!  I'm with you on that, giving yourself a whole grade range adds flexibility and more options with the books! And it's still a fun challenge (thumbsu 

I’m thinking of down grading my ASM 5 9.2 to a 9.0 in a cash and trade and am having trouble finding recent sales in 9.0 to help guide my sales thread. Last 2 sales I found were both in 2018 - one for $4100.00 on GPA and another (which was my book) sold for $4950.00 on CL.

If anyone has any data I would appreciate it and apologies if this isn’t the right thread for this type of thing. 

A 9.2 goes for big money and 8 want to be fair with value for a 9.0

57 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

I’m thinking of down grading my ASM 5 9.2 to a 9.0 in a cash and trade and am having trouble finding recent sales in 9.0 to help guide my sales thread. Last 2 sales I found were both in 2018 - one for $4100.00 on GPA and another (which was my book) sold for $4950.00 on CL.

If anyone has any data I would appreciate it and apologies if this isn’t the right thread for this type of thing. 

A 9.2 goes for big money and 8 want to be fair with value for a 9.0

Hey Jeff, I just texted you a couple prices not in GPA (both of which I just realized were on your post).  On december 18th 2018 a 9.0 sold for $8500.  That seems like a ton for a 9.0 compared to neighboring grade sales but would think somewhere in between those extremes is the sweet spot.