• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,428 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

In the history of history, there has never been anyone who enjoyed looking up people's nostrils like Gil Kane.  Usually you only get one pair per panel -- three might be his all-time record.

Kane certainly had a flare for drawing them.

“We” always have clowned GK for the “nostril shot”, but he’s a definitive Spidey artist.  

He’s not “first Tier” (Ditko & Romita) or even 1a (McFarlane).  But, he’s at the top of Tier 2.

Solid artist that produced.  I’d put him ahead of Frenz, Sal, Mooney, Bagley.

1 minute ago, chrisco37 said:

“We” always have clowned GK for the “nostril shot”, but he’s a definitive Spidey artist.  

He’s not “first Tier” (Ditko & Romita) or even 1a (McFarlane).  But, he’s at the top of Tier 2.

Solid artist that produced.  I’d put him ahead of Frenz, Sal, Mooney, Bagley.

Don’t forget Andru. I’m not a big fan of his run but it was a long one.

40 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

Don’t forget Andru. I’m not a big fan of his run but it was a long one.

Good call.  A glaring omission on my part.  Surely in the "second tier".  

On 9/1/2019 at 8:05 PM, Dr. Love said:

ditko, the 40 year old virgin, couldn't bring the heat.  needed hot chicks, romita to the rescue

The times were so different back then. There were printing limitations that would seem prehistoric today. What was marvel working with back then a shoe string budget?

Ditko went all those years with the satisfaction of knowing he was the first to put pencil to paper on the greatest comic character ever. He threw Kirby's Silver Spider sketches with the silver ring and those clumsy goggles to the curb then masterfully perfected the character. I don't know but I'd think that's more satisfying than anything.

Check out the birth certificate 

https://blogs.loc.gov/loc/2008/04/library-of-congress-acquires-spider-mans-birth-certificate/