• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

42 minutes ago, LDarkseid1 said:

What do the grader notes say?

Light creasing to cover

Light spine stress lines to cover

Very light tears to cover

Moderate staining to cover

I did see some staining to the inside covers when i looked at them raw (from the inside cover you could see a hint of staining), I just didn't think it would be hammered so hard, because as you can see it presents like a 6.5-7.0 IMO.  You really can't see any staining from the outside cover.

These are both good looking comics.

Edited by gadzukes

1 hour ago, gadzukes said:

Light creasing to cover

I did see some staining to the inside covers when i looked at them raw (from the inside cover you could see a hint of staining), I just didn't think it would be hammered so hard, because as you can see it presents like a 6.5-7.0 IMO.  You really can't see any staining from the outside cover.

They clobber stains.  They’ve always hit them really hard compared to other defects.  

3 hours ago, gadzukes said:

Light creasing to cover

Yeah had to be the staining, which I know they kill on. To bad, because they do present super nice! Definitely nicer than grade.

On 9/13/2019 at 3:57 PM, chrisco37 said:

Made the tough decision recently to cull the collection and go for the ASM 1-40 run.   I was already close to 50% of that run, so I am very happy to knock this one off the list.  

60B50757-AFDB-4157-98BE-53AD6E6FC165.jpeg

If you go up to #67 you’ll have the best run in comic book history. Oh, and don’t forget the first five annuals and the two oversized Spectacular Spider-Man issues. Spectacular #2 is a fantastic Goblin story that’s an absolute must have.

Edit: Oops, I didn’t see that you already got rid of those later issues.

Edited by JohnH19

Im going back to fill in my run from 1-200 have everything from 30 up to 200 except at some point as a young adult I sold 101-102, 120(?) 121-122, 129 because I needed quick cash badly.  (Also sold some nearly mint early Zappa and Beatles albums but thats another sad story). I've recently replaced 101 and 102 but now Im on the hunt for the missing early issues 2-4, 6-11, 15-19, and the aforementioned 120-122 and 129 definitely want to finish this run then maybe start upgrading some of these babies - when I collected as a kid, I didn;t care (or know) about grade importance, just wanted to get whatever issue I was missing.  Romita SR was my favorite artist - and who got me obsessed with collecting Spider-man.  ASM was the only Title I collected as a kid! 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 1:57 PM, chrisco37 said:

Made the tough decision recently to cull the collection and go for the ASM 1-40 run.   I was already close to 50% of that run, so I am very happy to knock this one off the list.  

Great book and that is an awesome collecting goal! :applause:

10 hours ago, mosconi said:

Definitely a super tough decision to exclude #50, possibly the greatest Spidey cover of them all :cloud9:

asm 50149.jpg

asm 50 fc150.jpg

IMO, the greatest comic book cover of all time!

3 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

IMO, the greatest comic book cover of all time!

Given the significance of the character and the story, I think you've got a fantastic case.

I will always have Silver Surfer #4 at the top of my list, but this book is more central to the history of the Marvel Universe for sure.

It wasn’t an “easy” decision to make.  I had a wonderful copy of 50.  And of 46.  A “decent enough” 44.  A raw 43 and 45.  

I’m a big Romita fan, and 39 is my favorite Spidey cover. I had to keep that.  And you have to pair it with 40. I have all the stories in Masterworks & Omnibus.    So that seemed like the cutoff. 

I can’t go for the entire run.