• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

7 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

asm41-1.jpg~original.jpeg

41 seems to be less common with White Pages for some reason. My 8.5 is Ow-W, which diminishes it only slightly in my eyes, but I've had an eye out for White Pagers and they don't seem to pop up very often in any grade. By comparison, 39 seems to be relatively easy to find White. Just my experience from a year or so of looking at SA Spideys. The vets may have a different experience hm

On 10/10/2019 at 2:16 PM, JohnH19 said:

#20 was the oldest issue I had in my childhood collection 50 years ago so it's always been special to me. I'm happy to have this copy in my current collection.

IMG_0875.thumb.jpg.7ebffb84d57a31a738df89250d3ba897.jpg

WOW - it was my oldest Spider-Man issue when I was a kid back in the mid 60s.  I got this and #27 in trade (circa 1967) for some war comic books.  I just loved the Ditko art. I think that the only other original run Ditko  Spider-Man book that I had as a kid was Annual 1 and that came somehow in a trade too.

Edited by pemart1966

On 10/4/2019 at 6:56 PM, chrisco37 said:

In my “early” days, I always disregarded the Annuals.  I couldn’t have been more wrong.  
ASM Annual 1 might be my “favorite” of all the Ditko books.  The villain splash pages are up there with his best stuff (ie the legendary sequence in 33).  The Sinister Six story was great.  All the added “bonus” stuff they included in those early Annuals.  
Can’t even imagine what it would be like to have bought so much awesomeness packed into one book for a quarter.  
It should be priced/valued high.  

I think that a lot of collectors ignored the annuals even after organized collecting was well under way.  They've certainly gained a lot of collecting popularity though as the price for a nice condition Annual #1 for example is really high.

On 8/24/2019 at 12:45 AM, JohnH19 said:

121 is a 1973 book. Way after the silver age.

I don’t think there’s a firm line between silver and bronze but many think it’s the increase from 12 to 15 cents. I remember that traumatic moment in time very well.:preach:

So do I.  I found it very traumatic as well.  Price increase; purge of most of the silver age artists at DC - I was NOT camping happily at the time.  I still haven't forgiven the comics industry for that.

I still equate it with the end of my childhood.

Sorry for the poor pics (my home lighting & slabs don’t mix).  A few pick ups from Bmore today.  

The Spidey 8 is a wonderfully presenting book.  It’s a CGC 4.5.  Really bright colors. 

The 24 is much better than the photo suggests.  I bought it from Bob and he had it as a VF, so you know it’s legit.  Glossy.  

91B2407C-B722-4B4A-B96E-E4F05834293D.jpeg

0DB77F42-50AF-46B9-921C-4F452704D7D5.jpeg

On 10/19/2019 at 7:06 PM, pemart1966 said:

So do I.  I found it very traumatic as well.  Price increase; purge of most of the silver age artists at DC - I was NOT camping happily at the time.  I still haven't forgiven the comics industry for that.

I still equate it with the end of my childhood.

The increase to 15 cents was the beginning of the end of my childhood comic collecting days. The two month 15-25-20 cent pricing charade in 1971 made the end inevitable.

Captain America 116, the first 15 center, was my last Cap issue. I quit Spidey a few months later with issue 81, featuring the debut of the fearsome Kangaroo. I bought Silver Surfer until the book was canceled and soon I was down to Thor and The Avengers. I quit completely in the summer of ‘72 when I was 13.

Twenty years later a wave of nostalgia for silver age comic books drew me back in.

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:16 AM, JohnH19 said:

#20 was the oldest issue I had in my childhood collection 50 years ago so it's always been special to me. I'm happy to have this copy in my current collection.

IMG_0875.thumb.jpg.7ebffb84d57a31a738df89250d3ba897.jpg

Such a cool cover!  And really beautiful colors on this copy!  Congrats on a great book :golfclap:

Edited by mosconi

8 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

The increase to 15 cents was the beginning of the end of my childhood comic collecting days. The two month 15-25-20 cent pricing charade in 1971 made the end inevitable.

Captain America 116, the first 15 center, was my last Cap issue. I quit Spidey a few months later with issue 81, featuring the debut of the fearsome Kangaroo. I bought Silver Surfer until the book was canceled and soon I was down to Thor and The Avengers. I quit completely in the summer of ‘72 when I was 13.

Twenty years later a wave of nostalgia for silver age comic books drew me back in.

I never bought a 15 center.  I can go through each DC comic and tell you the last issue that I purchased off the stands in 1967.  I continued to buy the DC giants though as they had the old reprints.  

The onset of the 15 cent comic triggered my back issue purchasing.

Spider-Man 67 was the last Sider-Man comic that I bought. It was the only Marvel title that I collected.

It's funny that a vulture, an octopus, a lizard, a scorpion and a rhino work but not a kangaroo lol

Edited by pemart1966