• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, pemart1966 said:

I never bought a 15 center.  I can go through each DC comic and tell you the last issue that I purchased off the stands in 1967.  I continued to buy the DC giants though as they had the old reprints.  

The onset of the 15 cent comic triggered my back issue purchasing.

Spider-Man 67 was the last Sider-Man comic that I bought. It was the only Marvel title that I collected.

It's funny that a vulture, an octopus, a lizard, a scorpion and a rhino work but not a kangaroo lol

Did a 3 cent increase really make that much of a difference? 

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

One more pick up from Bmore on my ASM 1-40 quest.   Picked up, what may be the best, ASM 28 5.0 you’ll ever see.  
As you all know, it’s a tough book to find without looking beat to heck (except in the HG range).  But, I’m very happy with this book and would put it up against most copies I’ve seen in the mid-grade range.  Superior eye appeal, IMO. 

A132C091-B8AF-4A6E-B5C9-AA172AA881F8.jpeg

I agree, that's a really really nice book.  Well done!

3 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Did a 3 cent increase really make that much of a difference? 

You bet it did!

I got my comic money by collecting empty 2 cent a piece pop bottles.  As such, my comic book buying income wasn't steady so I had to manage my money carefully.  

As well, I DETESTED all of the new artists on EVERY DC title and also didn't like Romita being removed from Spider-Man - so that and the price increase essentially was the death knell for my favourite titles.  That being said, DC didn't increase the prices for the Giants.  I still continued to buy those as I really enjoyed those old reprints.

Edited by pemart1966

1 hour ago, pemart1966 said:

You bet it did!

I got my comic money by collecting empty 2 cent a piece pop bottles.  As such, my comic book buying income wasn't steady so I had to manage my money carefully.  

As well, I DETESTED all of the new artists on EVERY DC title and also didn't like Romita being removed from Spider-Man - so that and the price increase essentially was the death knell for my favourite titles.  That being said, DC didn't increase the prices for the Giants.  I still continued to buy those as I really enjoyed those old reprints.

Yeah it's easy to lose perspective of what kind of money a kid may of had access to in the 70's. I thought those price increases applied to both Marvel and DC? When I first started with comics in copper age 10 dollars was a fortune to spend on one comic book for me at least. 

The increase from 15 to 20 cents must've torpedoed the average kid out there interested in comics! 

1 hour ago, MGsimba77 said:

Yeah it's easy to lose perspective of what kind of money a kid may of had access to in the 70's. I thought those price increases applied to both Marvel and DC? When I first started with comics in copper age 10 dollars was a fortune to spend on one comic book for me at least. 

The increase from 15 to 20 cents must've torpedoed the average kid out there interested in comics! 

The 15 cent price increase was circa mid 1969 NOT in the 1970s.

Yes - the price increase to 15 cents happened at both companies at roughly the same time.

Edited by pemart1966

Man I wish I was around for the 10 cent to under a buck days of collecting. Or heck wish my dad or uncles collected so I could have more old stuff I don't have. Heck I even missed out the 1.00 range too of 90s. As I didn't start collecting to 99/00 and books already was 2.25 at that point.

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Anyone have a spare 65K for this Twin Cities beauty currently up on eBay?

ASM 3 9.4.jpg

Odd choice for a CVA sticker given that the book is on the cusp of losing the first letters of the MCG wording in the price box to the spine. 

I don't get CVA sticker... unless it only means that a book is structurally much better looking than the assigned grade. 

As far as registration/centering is concerned, it's all over the place with CVA stickers... I don't care if the staples are perfectly aligned if the cover is almost miswrapped.

8 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Anyone have a spare 65K for this Twin Cities beauty currently up on eBay?

ASM 3 9.4.jpg

Nice book, but (with all due respect) there's no way in hell that it's worth $65,000.  Anyone with that kind of money to spend could choose from so many other, better investments.  But I guess he's hoping to find an obsessive run collector who's desperate enough to go crazy for this book.  As an obsessive run collector myself, I get it but you can't bid against yourself unless money truly is no object.