• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

Some people love the cover of 55 and some don’t. I’ve never felt strongly about it one way or the other. It certainly is different, though.

On 3/25/2018 at 8:59 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

So ... can we talk about Amazing Spider-Man #28?

I've never owned a copy and it's sitting on my want list.  In theory, I'm trying to put together a run that would include 9.4 copies of all issues from #16 up, and when I first set about doing this I glanced at GPA and saw $7,450 as the amount of the last sale.  Sure, that last sale was in 2014, but I figured that couldn't be too far off from where the market is today, given that the Molten Man isn't a top-tier villain in Spidey's rogues gallery.

Over the past year I hadn't seen any 9.4 copies surface online, but then a dealer I trust put one up at the whopping asking price of $22,000.  More recently, another highly respected dealer listed one for $20,000.  I have no idea if this book has ever actually sold anywhere in this ballpark, but these are very knowledgeable guys who wouldn't be pricing the book like this if they didn't believe in their prices.

And yet, the fact remains that $20,000+ for a 9.4 would (I think -- someone correct me if I'm wrong) make #28 the most valuable issue in the entire ASM run, with the obvious exception of #1 and possibly #2.  I don't believe any of the other big keys (#3, 4, 6, 9, 14, 31, 50 ...) come anywhere close to $20,000 for a 9.4.  And while this book is scarce in high grade (15 in 9.4 and 7 in 9.6), other books in the run are even more scarce.

So my first reaction is, I'd better start looking for 9.0 copies of this book because I can't justify paying that kind of money for this issue.  (By which I don't mean to question the validity of the price ... I simply mean that I can think of lots better ways to spend $20,000 on a real key.)

And my second reaction is, we all know that GPA data is incomplete but this seems like a potentially egregious example.  I was wondering if anyone out there knows of any recent sales of high-grade copies of ASM #28 (9.0+) that would help paint a picture of where the market is on this book and how that may have changed in recent years.

Is issue #28 really the second- or third-most valuable book in the entire ASM run?

I was going back searching for one of my old posts and just happened to stumble across this.

I replied with deep scepticism over those asking prices but here we are today... two sales since the post. The Rocky Mountain was a white pager on Heritage auction and the regular was an off white pager. So maybe these dealers weren't so wildly off the mark after all 

Btw, that was the only Rocky Mountain sale but the sales of the other ped were nowhere near 18k

Screenshot_20191027-201115_Chrome.jpg

Edited by MGsimba77

5 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

if i come across a pedigree copy of it, i will replace it, tho'.

Can’t see the pages in the slab anyway.:)