• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

15 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Tonight's ComicLink auction was pretty crazy.  Missed out on two books that sold way above what I was expecting, but I did land these.

186383185_AmazingSpider-Man15CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.d08245b600b7b0b3b45fa4bd13844001.jpg

1719331810_AmazingSpider-Man50CGC9.4.thumb.jpg.bbeeef0af10c22cca61ad34d739f7e64.jpg

Oh, my! What a sweet pair. :golfclap:

I can' wait to upgrade my as 25 in the near future. Once my lcs owner gets through more of big collection he just got. And of course get to some other regulars requests. Then of course work out what we doing with old copy I will trade back to him. And work off the rest of cost counting on shape of better copy.

On 12/4/2019 at 9:10 PM, XxSpideyxX said:

I wanted that ASM 40, but it went for well over my maximum bid.

I did score the DD 16 9.4 for a decent price though.

You referring to the #40 9.2 that went for 1600? I think that may be the highest ever. 

Anyone looking for a high grade 39 or 40 should be ready to put up top dollar. PQ doesn't seem to be a factor on top grades 

On 12/8/2019 at 7:17 PM, MGsimba77 said:

You referring to the #40 9.2 that went for 1600? I think that may be the highest ever. 

Anyone looking for a high grade 39 or 40 should be ready to put up top dollar. PQ doesn't seem to be a factor on top grades 

Wonder why that 40 went so high?  It wasn’t even all white pages or perfectly square.  I got a 9.0 39 earlier this year for far less.  Very odd.

5 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:
On 12/8/2019 at 7:17 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Wonder why that 40 went so high?  It wasn’t even all white pages or perfectly square.  I got a 9.0 39 earlier this year for far less.  Very odd.

Not sure what you mean by not perfectly square? I think you're referring to the very slight over-wrap where the M in Marvel is very close to the spine? Most of them look that way. It looks great imo.

Just speculating but I think the grades not easily available like perhaps 9.2 and up will fetch higher provided its well centered. The census is not low but you just don't see 9.2s listed everyday.

I've seen silver age OW pagers go just as high or higher as white in high grades. Maybe people don't mind PQ as much in silver age if the eye appeal is good enough and it's an important issue? I know for me personally Its not important if the eye appeal is right. Bronze may be different. 

Btw, there was a 39 9.0 in Pedigree's recent auction went for ~1700 if memory serves. I don't remember the PQ but it was the highest sale ever by a mile. That's obviously an outlier but the trend on these high grade silvers is clearly up!

Edited by MGsimba77

11 hours ago, XxSpideyxX said:

So I know this is for Amazing Spider-Man books, but I just had to post this here because I know everyone here will especially appreciate it.  Romita is far and away my favorite Spidey artist and I’ve been after a high grade version of his first Spidey art/cover for a while!  So hard to find this issue above an 8.0.  Glad to have this finally!

9FA9FD91-DF6B-415D-B6DE-53FC7799749A.jpeg

this thread is for all things s.a. spider--not just his title.  you done good!!

11 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Not sure what you mean by not perfectly square? I think you're referring to the very slight over-wrap where the M in Marvel is very close to the spine? Most of them look that way. It looks great imo.

Just speculating but I think the grades not easily available like perhaps 9.2 and up will fetch higher provided its well centered. The census is not low but you just don't see 9.2s listed everyday.

I've seen silver age OW pagers go just as high or higher as white in high grades. Maybe people don't mind PQ as much in silver age if the eye appeal is good enough and it's an important issue? I know for me personally Its not important if the eye appeal is right. Bronze may be different. 

Btw, there was a 39 9.0 in Pedigree's recent auction went for ~1700 if memory serves. I don't remember the PQ but it was the highest sale ever by a mile. That's obviously an outlier but the trend on these high grade silvers is clearly up!

Hey Simba!  Yeah, I agree the book looks great.  I just meant that for the extremely high amount that this book went for, I would have thought (on face value) that the book would have been all white or otherwise presented almost flawlessly for the grade.  I've typically seen 39 go for 10%-15% more than 40.  Either way, it's a great sign for these books :)