• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

I have some queries regarding collecting Amazing Spider-Man comics. I am looking for suggestions from the boarders in this group.

Although I am not new to collecting comics, I have never collected ASMs. Growing up I only collected Superman comics.

I want to collect ASMs starting this year.
I am currently a graduate student. I can budget ~250$/month towards the hobby right now.

I want to remain focused and limit myself to early ASMs, say 1-400.
Considering I have no ASM comics and can spend up-to 250$/month towards my hobby, how should I start collecting?

Here are some ideas I have contemplated,
1) I often see small run/sequence (no gaps) of 6 to10 silver age ASMs on auction on eBay, which usually sell in the ballpark of 200-300$.
I can try my luck with such auctions.

2) Personally, I like shopping from MyComicShop. I see many of the non-key/low-key silver age ASMs are priced in the range of 25-40$ for ~VG grades.
I can pick up-to 10 comics each month from MCS of my choice.

3) Cherry picked collections: Many sellers on eBay offer large lots of ASMs, mainly leftovers after they have sold their high valued books.

Any suggestions? :)

TL;DR: How should a newbie start collecting ASMs on a budget?

@allthingskryptonite

definitely keep an eye on auctions, see if you can get lucky with any of them.

The majority of the cheap comics within ASM 1-400 are about from 340-400, with the exception of first carnage and a few venom related issues, from my experience.

I think filling gaps is a fun way to get the issues, or storylines that span over a few issues. I'm currently trying to get a copy of ASM 31, to finish the 3-part story from 31-33. And I understand working with a budget, I just finished college and am currently trying to work out a reasonable budget on getting some older issues of the run.

I have not shopped from MyComicShop before, personally I like going on the hunt and finding it in person, to me it's more fun but I understand shopping online for them. I hope someone who has shopped there can give you a better answer than me.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your quest collecting the ASM comics within 1-400!

1 hour ago, DST said:

Not sure if providing an off-site link is allowed (if it is I'll edit and delete them from this post).  I wanted to invite everyone to check out my Spidey white page key run which includes the following (divided into two galleries - 40 slabs in total):

5.0 White Page Project:

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=3765

• AF15
  • ASM 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, Annual 1
  • ST Annual 2
  • FF Annual 1

The rest are in ascending grades from 25 - 361 and include:

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=3764

• ASM 25, 28, 31, 39, 40, 41, 46, 50, 78, 101, 121, 122, 129, 134, 149, 194, 212, 238, 252, 299, 300, 301, 360, and 361

Very cool run. 

All welcome to asm collecting. I know the feeling of wanting to get a good run down. I myself am trying to get a full run myself. And currently have Vol 2, 3, 4, current 5th Vol totally. Vol one I am still working on that myself. With needing 322 issues between 1 to 441 era. Though I have chunks in the 400s, 300s, 200s, 100s, and pre 100s. 

Now with your budget I would suggest for one sticking towards the non key 300s thru 441 era. As it won't cost a lot to get. Same could be said for good grade 200s Era stuff too. The 100s and pre 100s is where it going to cost you the most. All bearing of course grade of books you want. If you are going for lower to mid grade stuff sure some could still be costly. But still reasonable price. Higher grade 100s and pre 100s is where books start cropping into the 1,000s of dollars range.

I am glad I started collecting 20 years ago. For me I started my asm run with asm 30 vol.2 and gone from starting there through all present books to past 800. And in the last 5 to 6 years have started working on bronze and silver age amazing titles. For me been a slow go for silver in last few years as real life stuff money has to go to. But again it's all about what grade you want to get and work with your budget. Plus also where you getting books from ie ebay or a lcs and what you going after.

16 hours ago, allthingskryptonite said:

I have some queries regarding collecting Amazing Spider-Man comics. I am looking for suggestions from the boarders in this group.

Although I am not new to collecting comics, I have never collected ASMs. Growing up I only collected Superman comics.

I want to collect ASMs starting this year.
I am currently a graduate student. I can budget ~250$/month towards the hobby right now.

I want to remain focused and limit myself to early ASMs, say 1-400.
Considering I have no ASM comics and can spend up-to 250$/month towards my hobby, how should I start collecting?

Here are some ideas I have contemplated,
1) I often see small run/sequence (no gaps) of 6 to10 silver age ASMs on auction on eBay, which usually sell in the ballpark of 200-300$.
I can try my luck with such auctions.

2) Personally, I like shopping from MyComicShop. I see many of the non-key/low-key silver age ASMs are priced in the range of 25-40$ for ~VG grades.
I can pick up-to 10 comics each month from MCS of my choice.

3) Cherry picked collections: Many sellers on eBay offer large lots of ASMs, mainly leftovers after they have sold their high valued books.

Any suggestions? :)

TL;DR: How should a newbie start collecting ASMs on a budget?

Quality is better than quantity!

I would start by buying the keys and pick a grade level that you're comfortable with.  A lot of sellers will allow time payments which means you don't have to drop a lot of money down all at once.

If that doesn't appeal to you, I would also add that the Romita books (issue 39 and up) are fairly inexpensive and the story and art are fantastic.  The omnibuses are also quite good value for reading complete storylines and getting to know more about the character.  Best of luck!

Edited by piper

Also I would still say buy books in person at shows or local comic shops. So you can see how good or bad x copy looks. And then if it Warren price owner selling at. For me sure I love looking at comic venders when I go to cons. But I usually buy my silver and bronze spiderman from my local shop I go to. As the shop has good selection of old books and usually good shape copies. And owner gets a lot of collections in all the time. Right now I waiting for him to work on a asm collection he got in that goes as low as 8. But right now from that collection I want to upgrade my 25 and just waiting on shop owner to get to grading so I can know how much upgrade be.

On 2/8/2020 at 11:15 AM, Webhead2018 said:

Also I would still say buy books in person at shows or local comic shops. So you can see how good or bad x copy looks. And then if it Warren price owner selling at. For me sure I love looking at comic venders when I go to cons. But I usually buy my silver and bronze spiderman from my local shop I go to. As the shop has good selection of old books and usually good shape copies. And owner gets a lot of collections in all the time. Right now I waiting for him to work on a asm collection he got in that goes as low as 8. But right now from that collection I want to upgrade my 25 and just waiting on shop owner to get to grading so I can know how much upgrade be.

I don't have much expertise in grading and that prevents me buying from older/raw books from my LCS and many eBay stores. So I stick to buying CGC encapsulated books from eBay and older/raw copies from MCS. I do but newer issues from my LCS. 

3 hours ago, allthingskryptonite said:

I don't have much expertise in grading and that prevents me buying from older/raw books from my LCS and many eBay stores. So I stick to buying CGC encapsulated books from eBay and older/raw copies from MCS. I do but newer issues from my LCS. 

If you want some help, look up grades of CGC comics online (such as on Ebay, looking up something like CGC 5.0) and see how the books appear depending on condition. It doesn't allow you to see the interiors of the comic but can at least help you in being familiar in how a comic may look depending on its grade.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2020 at 11:00 AM, DST said:

Not sure if providing an off-site link is allowed (if it is I'll edit and delete them from this post).  I wanted to invite everyone to check out my Spidey white page key run which includes the following (divided into two galleries - 40 slabs in total):

5.0 White Page Project:

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=3765

• AF15
  • ASM 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, Annual 1
  • ST Annual 2
  • FF Annual 1

The rest are in ascending grades from 25 - 361 and include:

https://www.myslabbedcomics.com/GalleryRoom.asp?GSub=3764

• ASM 25, 28, 31, 39, 40, 41, 46, 50, 78, 101, 121, 122, 129, 134, 149, 194, 212, 238, 252, 299, 300, 301, 360, and 361

Very sweet collection of books!  Big congrats :golfclap:

1 hour ago, AJLewandoski said:

Finally cracked the single digits thanks to a fellow boardie! Definitely my favorite early issue, I love the dynamics and the colors really pop.

20200212_160601.jpg

:applause: