• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

11 minutes ago, Jordysnordy said:

Forgot the bidding ending early on this one on HA and forgot to get my bid in doh!

Sold for a very cheap price of $2160.00 with BP 

Sign of Corona things to come (maybe xD)

lf.jpeg

Was looking at the long term chart of this book on GPA and its certainly off its recent lofty highs (2/20 $3600) but it's still quite a bit higher than it was in 2017 ($1710). 

Ok, Joe Ankenbauer, Straw-Man and I have been discussing ASM covers over in the FF thread. It belongs here, so let’s resume.

Joe, the alternate ASM 10 cover shown looks to be comprised of panel images from inside the story. Fancy Dan’s awkward leg triggered my memory, so I looked and, sure enough, Ox’s punch is a reversed panel, too. Is it possible that cover was made much later? 

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Ok, Joe Ankenbauer, Straw-Man and I have been discussing ASM covers over in the FF thread. It belongs here, so let’s resume.

Joe, the alternate ASM 10 cover shown looks to be comprised of panel images from inside the story. Fancy Dan’s awkward leg triggered my memory, so I looked and, sure enough, Ox’s punch is a reversed panel, too. Is it possible that cover was made much later? 

KirbyJack,

I found the Fancy Dan panel you mentioned, I did not find the Ox panel. I can't remember which was usually done first, the story or the cover. Maybe Ditko so enjoyed that pose that he wanted to do it again.

If someone did create this cover at a later time, s/he would have to have some level of expertise. I certainly couldn't do it.

2 hours ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

KirbyJack,

I found the Fancy Dan panel you mentioned, I did not find the Ox panel. I can't remember which was usually done first, the story or the cover. Maybe Ditko so enjoyed that pose that he wanted to do it again.

If someone did create this cover at a later time, s/he would have to have some level of expertise. I certainly couldn't do it.

This is all I could find.

2E7D073C-01A2-46A1-B7EF-89BB9B44D383.png

6A920325-5C6C-4C26-8C0C-F63AF995A115.jpeg

9 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

One of these days I like to get my first silver age book I bought about 5 years ago. Which was a very sharp ASM#55. Very sharp colors.

The exact same copy? lol I like that cover.

To me, the Fancy Dan character looks panel 1 on page 10. However, I don't think the Ox on the cover is an exact duplicate from panel 3 on page 10. The Ox's swing looks more or less the same, but if you compare the original cover to page 3, panel 10, Ox's face looks quite a bit different.

When I looked through this book today, I didn't see any matching panels for Montana and the Big Man. Just my $0.02 on the issue.