• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,428 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

I'm on the fence with SS books , and in my opinion this is a travesty. Will buyers pay a premium for this?

Personally I would have paid much more for this copy without

s-l1600.jpg

I hesitate to comment on this kind of thing because I don't want to be too critical of something that many other collectors clearly value and enjoy.

But IMHO that book is defaced.  I would never buy a book like that.

I have two books signed by Stan: ASM 1 and 13 (both signature series).  The Excelsior in my opinion is too much.  It takes up too much of the cover. 

Even better is when the creator signs the splash page.

10 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

I'm on the fence with SS books , and in my opinion this is a travesty. Will buyers pay a premium for this?

s-l1600.jpg

Sure there's plenty that would. No shortage of people that love Stan or Romita sigs.  I'm one that loves sigs and willing to pay for them but picky about where they are. That one there is ok but would be more appealing if the Stan was where the Excelsior is. Here's an example of one where I liked everything about the sig enough to overcome the PQ. it's one of the few ASM truly black covers in silver and bronze. I think the value of 28 is safe (thumbsu

20200526_225135.jpg

Edited by MGsimba77

5 hours ago, MGsimba77 said:

Sure there's plenty that would. No shortage of people that love Stan or Romita sigs.  I'm one that loves sigs and willing to pay for them but picky about where they are. That one there is ok but would be more appealing if the Stan was where the Excelsior is. Here's an example of one where I liked everything about the sig enough to overcome the PQ. it's one of the few ASM truly black covers in silver and bronze. I think the value of 28 is safe (thumbsu

I own a few SS.  Like to be picky regarding placement, clarity, and overall eye appeal.  That #3 is just overkill  :S  Your #28 looks so much better and it's legible!  My only SA Spidey sig...

#asm 10.jpg

Edited by mosconi

12 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

s-l1600.jpg

I have a fair amount of signature series books and like them quite a lot! That said, I AM one who can be turned away from a book when I don't like where the signature is or how it looks. Signature placement can make or break for me. The Spidey #3 from the above post is too over the top for me. I would've wanted the "Excelsior" on the back cover and Stan's signature placed a little differently. That's just me, trust me, I'm not ripping on the book. This is someone's property and not for me to criticize. Another side note is that I prefer sig series books to be lower to mid grade, especially when it comes to early or expensive books. Once again, that's just my opinion ….  to each their own. 

Final bid on the ASM 28 9.2 was $7811.00 - a whopping 47% over the GPA high :whatthe: @Sweet Lou 14 - looking like it will quite hard for us to get the grades we desire.

Another book I bid on and got outbid at the last second was ASM annual 1 CGC 9.0 - which sold for $9301.00 - another price that surprised me.

I guess ASM is still the king even in COVID times.

00002191690000112001557004.jpg

1 hour ago, Jordysnordy said:

Final bid on the ASM 28 9.2 was $7811.00 - a whopping 47% over the GPA high :whatthe: @Sweet Lou 14 - looking like it will quite hard for us to get the grades we desire.

Another book I bid on and got outbid at the last second was ASM annual 1 CGC 9.0 - which sold for $9301.00 - another price that surprised me.

And I remember when Ann 1 was a dog, my undercopy is a 9.0 pedigree that I paid out the nose in 2000(mainly for the ped), but I knew it would catch traction eventually, but that is ridiculous .

3 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Wow, those are indeed some super strong pricing results!  :whatthe:  Spidey immunity...

2 hours ago, UncleBEN said:

And I remember when Ann 1 was a dog, my undercopy is a 9.0 pedigree that I paid out the nose in 2000(mainly for the ped), but I knew it would catch traction eventually, but that is ridiculous .

Well since you mentioned it, now we need to see your ped copy! :baiting:

3 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

28 much like 14 39 and 40 have been strongly trending up in most grades for some time now regardless of what's happening. #39 in 9.0 has been above 1k recently a number of times. Maybe throw 50 in there too but I think it might be just higher grades?. So far as I can tell those are the strongest non single digit issues. This title is almost immune to COVID