• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,434 posts in this topic

53 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I’ve noticed something that’s kind of grabbed me. In 9.2, the entire silver and bronze age run (plus) of Amazing Spider-Man guides for less than Amazing Fantasy 15.

I can’t readily express to you how much more I’d rather have the run. Am I crazy? You can say yes; won’t be the first time.

Not crazy at all. I wouldn’t trade my run of Vol 1 ASM 2-441 for the AF 15 and ASM 1 I’m missing. My facsimile reprint of AF 15 and CGC 9.0 GRR of ASM 1 will do until I win the lottery.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I’ve noticed something that’s kind of grabbed me. In 9.2, the entire silver and bronze age run (plus) of Amazing Spider-Man guides for less than Amazing Fantasy 15.

I can’t readily express to you how much more I’d rather have the run. Am I crazy? You can say yes; won’t be the first time.

I would 100% rather own ASM #1-300 (or wherever your cutoff is) than AF #15.

On 6/14/2020 at 10:54 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Well, since I just did this in another thread, here's my top 30 ranking based on a rough and unscientific attempt to normalize for grade based on what I actually paid for my books and what GPA says:

11. Ann . #1

I haven't really looked at the list since generating it, so hopefully this will spark a little discussion.

I'm not sure if you have 40 and 33? They both should be on that list. Probably in place of 23 and 41 and 39 should be higher. So there's some dissention for ya 

30 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I'm not sure if you have 40 and 33? They both should be on that list. Probably in place of 23 and 41 and 39 should be higher. So there's some dissention for ya 

I do own both of those issues and I welcome the "dissension"!  :slapfight:

Like I said above, I purposely posted the list without examining it because I wanted to minimize the amount of personal bias.  As soon as I posted the list, I wondered about #40 so I looked it up ... maybe I just got lucky, but I paid a lot less for it than these other books (around 75% of what I paid for #41, which got 30th place).

As for #33, it is one of my all-time favorite issues in the run.  Almost everybody loves this issue.  However, I think it must be in plentiful supply because frankly it's just not as expensive as the books in this list.  I bought mine for a little more than one-third what I paid for that 30th-place book.  I would have to extend my list to a Top 50 in order for #33 to appear on it.  But again, my list is strictly based on the cost I incurred, which is an imperfect ranking on multiple levels.

On another note, by the time you get down to around 30th place on my list, you start running into modern books which I bought at 9.6 (#194) or 9.8 (#202, 238, 252, 300, 301).  So it gets to be apples and oranges on grade, so I left them off the list.  But it also opens up room for some more discussion because you could (sort of) make the case that based on supply in the census, a 9.4 in the Silver Age is in fact comparable to a modern 9.8.

Who knows, I'm just making up things to talk about.

38 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I wondered about #40 so I looked it up ... maybe I just got lucky, but I paid a lot less for it than these other books (around 75% of what I paid for #41, which got 30th place).

If your 40 is above a 9.0 your timing was good or you were lucky. I thought I paid thru the nose for mine but there's a pending sale of a 9.4 on Clink that's really ⬆️ ‼ 

I think if you're going to go all out for something #40 is one of those that's worth it! It'll be 55 next year. 

56 minutes ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

But again, my list is strictly based on the cost I incurred

Yeah I figured that but wasn't sure if you were maybe adding in some opinion on there as well hm 

33 is relatively low cost except for the two highest grades last I checked so if it's a value list then it makes sense. I think its still undervalued however 

47 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

If your 40 is above a 9.0 your timing was good or you were lucky. I thought I paid thru the nose for mine but there's a pending sale of a 9.4 on Clink that's really ⬆️ ‼ 

I think if you're going to go all out for something #40 is one of those that's worth it! It'll be 55 next year. 

Yeah I figured that but wasn't sure if you were maybe adding in some opinion on there as well hm 

33 is relatively low cost except for the two highest grades last I checked so if it's a value list then it makes sense. I think its still undervalued however 

FWIW:

• #40 9.4 OW/W $1,550 July 2017
  • #33 9.4 OW/W $774 April 2017

1 minute ago, Jordysnordy said:

2 board transactions today netted me another beautiful SS Romita book. I only had 1 prior to this pickup and figured I need another.

Sold my Blue Label to pick up the SS copy.

This is what makes this such a great community. 

Big thanks to @jjonahjameson11

265564598_ASM629.2.thumb.jpg.9d5b027d78080187f724aab7f4232002.jpg

1495855769_ASM6292front.JPG.dd50982a5cc9648b014c49e5ade8471d (1).jpeg

Having seen so many brutally hideous Stan signatures, I have to say John Romita really knows how to do it right.

3 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

The man is 90!!! and STILL has one of the best signatures IMO.

Something so classic about how clean his signature always is.

So true! The old man still has the fast ball

Congrats on the yellow label man! For some reason every time I glance at that book the banner on the bottom looks like it says "made in USA"  lol

Curious do you have a specific grade you prefer for signatures? What do you think of yellow label 9.8s ? For me its 9.6 and under is fine with 9.4 being ideal. 

On 6/16/2020 at 10:55 PM, MGsimba77 said:

So true! The old man still has the fast ball

Congrats on the yellow label man! For some reason every time I glance at that book the banner on the bottom looks like it says "made in USA"  lol

Curious do you have a specific grade you prefer for signatures? What do you think of yellow label 9.8s ? For me its 9.6 and under is fine with 9.4 being ideal. 

My ASM run is 9.2 so that's my sweet spot! 

For other titles I try and get SS books in the grade that I am collecting that run in - for example my Godzilla run is all 9.8 so all my SS books in that series are in 9.8 ( I have 17 of 24 books in SS 9.8)

My ASM 1 a 6.5 SS as I will probably never be able to afford a 9.2

Quick question for other ASM collectors..  What is the second most important Spidey key issue?  At first I was thinking "of course it has to be ASM #1", but then I also thought that doesn't have a significant first appearance like 2,3, and 14.  Is it even close, or obviously #1 and I am just overthinking (or under) the whole thing.  Just wanted some other informed opinions.  Thanks

16 minutes ago, ender said:

Quick question for other ASM collectors..  What is the second most important Spidey key issue?  At first I was thinking "of course it has to be ASM #1", but then I also thought that doesn't have a significant first appearance like 2,3, and 14.  Is it even close, or obviously #1 and I am just overthinking (or under) the whole thing.  Just wanted some other informed opinions.  Thanks

ASM 1 unless you switch up the criteria.