• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

I believe you’re overthinking it.  Unless you're asking which Spider-Man book contains the most significant first appearance after Spidey himself, the answer will always be ASM1 IMO.  ASM1 launches the most successful title in the Marvel franchise.  It’s definitely the second most significant Spidey book after AF15.

Edited by DST

Is your criteria is the historical significance of the book itself or the first appearance of a major character? My standard is where does the book rank in overall significance regardless of appearances. In that case second place on the Spidey pantheon would be ASM1. As mentioned it launched the most important/successful title in comics history. It established Peter's complicated relationship with his superpowers. The story itself is so much better than AF15! Its also tied for the second major crossover appearance with the fantastic four appearing. FF#12 is the other with Hulk crossing over. I believe FF #4 is the first crossover with Submariner unless I'm mistaken. And of course don't forget first J. Jonah (:

9 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

I would go 1, 14 and 50 - choosing 14 and 50 as they are not only Spidey villains, but MCU villains.

My top four ASM books would be 1, 3, 14 and 50. 

in advancing my "every s.a. spideman appearance" pursuit, i decided against pure reprints except for a few exceptions--marvel tales 1 is a great book, and early, and m.t. 11-23 offer neat reproductions of great spidey covers, with some changes in many instances [3-10 just have the little copy with 3 other reprinted covers].  i've had these for years, but never took pics 'til the other day.

07CD4E7E-7352-471F-952D-2DA67EE5FEF4.jpeg

Edited by Straw-Man