• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,428 posts in this topic

3 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i grabbed one of those "new highs."   love it!   down to one possible numerical upgrade--#11 [will always stay on the lookout for a ped bump on a book, even if lateral or maybe a notch below if still a 9 on the front].

asm4-1.jpg

My favorite early Spider-Man. Couldn't have picked a better book, Billy! (worship)

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

i grabbed one of those "new highs."   love it!   down to one possible numerical upgrade--#11 [will always stay on the lookout for a ped bump on a book, even if lateral or maybe a notch below if still a 9 on the front].

asm4-1.jpg

Billy, you made the highlight reel!!!!! Well done my boy!!!!! That's a pretty snazzy upgrade ya got there!!!!  :applause:

3 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

asm4-1.jpg

I knew you would be grabbing this one ;P

Selling your undercopy now?

Hey Jeff/Bill/all

In line with my Comics General post COVID19...BUYER'S MARKET? I performed an analysis of the AF15/ASM1-50 (58 books less the sig series ones) to see what this small sample size might indicate.  I'll try and have the results up tonight or tomorrow at the latest.  I am happy to all those that acquired books they were after whatever the price they paid.  But there were as many or more HG books that took a hit versus new highs and sale prices.  How about the two 39s, 9.6 and 9.4 respectively, whereby (per my analysis) the seller's realized net losses of 30% and 13% respectively.  The AF15 4.5 and 3.0 also fell below "market".  As always the big winner in all of this...wait for it...COMICLINK! :insane:

And the ASM Annual 1 9.8 (HG 1 of 5 books) realized an insane price.  Several people wanted that one bad.  Far eclipsed the last GPA recorded sale of the legendary Pacific Coast copy for $28643 in August 2012...8 years ago... :whatthe:

9 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

asm4-1.jpg

Think my White-Pager just got a bump... :headbang:

SPIDER-MAN 4 CGC 9.0 W.jpg

1 hour ago, StreetPreacher said:

I'm sure there won't be any favoritism on this forum, but for the same price, would you prefer a CGC 9.0, or a CBCS 9.4 of the same book?

Even if you're intent on having your books in CGC slabs, you would presumably be better off with the CBCS 9.4 because you can submit it for crossover grading.  Your chances of it coming back below 9.0 would be vanishingly small -- most likely you'd get a CGC 9.2+.

10 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

would need to see the books.

10 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

would need to see the books.

Here you go!  Both for sale at a local shop for the EXACT same price! Also just noticed that one is direct and the other is UPC, but not sure that makes any difference for this issue? And since it now costs $55 to submit a book to CGC through the LCS, the cost of the actual book could be considered to only be costing you ~$20! lol 

Of course, even if I had a 9.8 copy of this, I'm not sure i'd bother having it slabbed, but since I need this book, and someone has already paid to have it done...  I was also planning to ask the seller if the 'dust'? visible at the bottom of the 'A' in the title is on the shell, of if it's a blemish on the actual book...  As far as I can tell, both issues have been sitting around for a couple of months at least, so it seems not many people want to pay extra to get a graded copy of this.

ASM298CGC.jpg

AMASM-298_CBCS.jpg

Edited by StreetPreacher

10 hours ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Even if you're intent on having your books in CGC slabs, you would presumably be better off with the CBCS 9.4 because you can submit it for crossover grading.  Your chances of it coming back below 9.0 would be vanishingly small -- most likely you'd get a CGC 9.2+.

Interesting idea, but the incentive for me here is that someone has already gone through the hassle of having them graded, and now I can benefit from their bad decision :)  Kind of like when you modify your car and it becomes worth LESS at resale.

17 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i prefer the other guys’ book. 

Is the 'whiteness' of the cover one of the main concerns with this issue?  the 'other' book looks brighter white in the photos at least...  Although I'm sure I've seen CGC copies of it in the high 9s where the cover looked decidedly yellowed.

Although I guess this is a good example of how CGC grading is definitely the way to go for resale!  Assuming ether copy ever sells, as these are asking prices and both books have been sitting unsold for a few months at least :)

3 hours ago, StreetPreacher said:

Is the 'whiteness' of the cover one of the main concerns with this issue?  the 'other' book looks brighter white in the photos at least...  Although I'm sure I've seen CGC copies of it in the high 9s where the cover looked decidedly yellowed.

Although I guess this is a good example of how CGC grading is definitely the way to go for resale!  Assuming ether copy ever sells, as these are asking prices and both books have been sitting unsold for a few months at least :)

I like the spine better on the CBCS copy

21 minutes ago, trmoore54 said:

I like the spine better on the CBCS copy

I also noticed that there's a black 'border' visible on the spine of the CGC UPC copy, but the border isn't visible on the CBCS copy...  Now, did the direct printings simply not include a black 'border', or is it not visible just due to how the cover was folded/bound(stapled)?

And thank for the opinions guys, even though I'll probably pass on both copies since this isn't an issue that I would consider slabbing myself...Although it might have been worth it just for the slab itself if there was any easy way to open them and put a different book inside for display lol. :)  

Also wondering how many people here would pay a $50 premium the get a slab of this specific issue? 

I mean, it's probably actually a fair deal, but then I start considering that I could probably find a decent raw #316 for the same price...  Mo comics, mo problems :)lol

Edited by StreetPreacher