• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

My bronze age starts in 1975. The idea of 1933-1955= gold; 1956-1969= silver; 1970-198?= bronze seems to have come from ebay.

If you want Ages to make sense, you have to apply the same rules for all of them. The reason "it's always going to be debated" is that we have imbedded different rules to define the Bronze age.

There were very popular comics prior to Action #1. The comic book industry in 1938 was not waning. But the introduction of Superman took things to 11, and initiated a Golden Age- a Golden Age of superhero comics. Eventually, interest in superheroes began to fade, and so does the GA (GA 1938-1945). Publishers started concentrating on other genres to maintain sales, horror, sci-fi, etc., seeking anything that would capture attention (Atom Age 1946-1955). The Comics Code put an end to that, and the industry struggled. In my opinion, no code approved comic should ever be thought of as "Golden Age". Then Showcase 4 showed everyone that superheroes were viable again, and Marvel introduced their better mousetraps, and the medium itself was saved from extinction. The Silver Age of Superhero Comics had a glorious run, but gradually became a shadow of itself. (SA 1956-1970). 

In 1970, interest in superhero comics diminished . Publishers were again searching for new ideas, and trying some wild stuff. The comics code was exposed as ineffective, so monsters were ok again. Satanic elements, social relevance, darker themes mingled on the stands with books like Plop! Like the Atom Age, the early 1970s was a time of experimentation.

So Gold is superheroes, and Silver is superheroes; shouldn't Bronze be superheroes, too? The two previous Ages both begin with one defining superhero comic book, run their course, and then fade. There is a comic that does that for a third Heroic Age. Giant-Size X-Men #1 launched a third era of greatness for superheroes. 1975.

While this is a fun intellectual exercise, I've long ago given up on the notion that I'll convert anyone to my way of thinking. It's just easier to go with bronze is the 1970s. 

I will admit, I was one sentence into reading this and my initial reaction was "this guy's nuts."  But you make a very interesting argument.  I'm not sure there are many collectors and historians who would be comfortable treating 1970-1975 as the long tail of a depleted Silver Age, but I do appreciate the parallels to the previous ages.

Here's where it breaks down a bit for me though.

Action Comics #1 is unquestionably the singular book that changed everything and ushered in the Golden Age.  And response to Superman -- from both readers and, just as important, other publishers -- was swift.  An explosion of superheroes came very quickly on Superman's heels.

Showcase #4 is the book everyone points to as kicking off the Silver Age, and there's no doubt its influence was huge.  But there are a couple of differences from the launch of Action #1.  First, certain superhero titles (notably Action / Superman / Detective / Batman) had been publishing uninterrupted all this time -- watered-down, to be sure, but still popular.  And more important, there was no immediate sea change.  After all, more than five full years elapsed before the company that would become Marvel published FF #1.  All of those pre-hero Marvels we're always talking about in the other thread feel to me like relics of the Atom Age more than Silver Age.  (And while very few people recognize the Atom Age, I like it because I agree with you, it's crazy to call books with the Comics Code stamp on them part of the Golden Age.)

Finally, I think it's fair to call Giant-Size X-Men #1 the big key of the Bronze Age.  Yes, Incredible Hulk #181 is more valuable but without GSX #1, Wolverine is just another guy in the Hulk's rogues gallery.  GSX #1 is the book that makes Hulk #181 a mega-key.  I think it's also fair to say that GSX #1 launched a new age of popularity for superheroes, in particular recentering a lot of narratives around younger heroes (led by the X-Men and the Teen Titans, which I believe were created in response but don't kill me if I'm wrong about that, I really don't follow DC at all).  The problem with GSX #1 is that it comes pretty late in the game, after a number of trends that you've touched on -- the weakening of the code, the onslaught of monsters and anti-heroes -- had already taken hold.

I think this is why some people like to put Conan #1 forward as the "first book of the Bronze Age."  It sits at a point in time that fits better with when things really started to shift, and its influence, while not as outsized as GSX #1, is easily underestimated.

I do agree with you that simply saying "1970 = Bronze" is primarily a concession to people's desire for neat boundaries and round numbers.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

I like calling #101 and the introduction of Morbius as the start of the BA for Spidey.  With the revision and relaxation of the comics code at that time allowing vampires, werewolves, ghouls, etc. into comics, it gives me a feeling of transition for Marvel/Spidey and a changing of times into the BA.  So I'm personally good calling Spidey #1-100 as SA and #101 and after BA

Edited by mosconi

The first 15 cent Spidey was #75, cover dated August of 1969 and on newsstands May, 13, 1969. That's too early for me. 

Conan #1 came out July 21, 1970 (cover dated October 1970). Spidey was #89 that month. Still looks Silver Age to me.

Marvel Picture frame books began in August of 1971 (cover dated November 1971)*, ASM's beginning with #102. Now THAT looks Bronze.

Two months prior officially began Stan's end as a writer on ASM and FF. 

So for me, personally, The Marvel Bronze Age builds up from the Summer of 1970 and kicks in completely in the Summer of 1971. 

Or, officially with Stan's finish on ASM and FF, both cover dated as July of 1971.

Not saying it should be anyone else's hard fast rule - I don't really dwell on it too much - but that's the way I sort of look at it...

*Chili Annual #1, on sale July 6, 1971 (cover dated Dec 1971, because it's an annual) looks like it was the actual first one, but in general, the rest of the line followed the following month.

21 minutes ago, Prince Namor said:

So for me, personally, The Marvel Bronze Age builds up from the Summer of 1970 and kicks in completely in the Summer of 1971. 

Or, officially with Stan's finish on ASM and FF, both cover dated as July of 1971.

Not saying it should be anyone else's hard fast rule - I don't really dwell on it too much - but that's the way I sort of look at it...

Yeah that's roughly similar to my timing--you say around 102, I say 96-98 as a clear dividing line.

1 hour ago, skybolt said:

Definitely my grail!

amazing spider-man #1 cgc 8.5 l.jpg

Holy moly! No kidding! :golfclap:

Edited by JohnH19