• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

22 hours ago, Chicago Boy said:

Yes !   Curly haired Bob - The Dragon’s Lair.  My mom would drop me off for hours so I could salivate at what was behind his glass case back in the day. I can’t believe my parents let a 10 year old hang out by himself there for 6 hours at a time.  Bob sold me my first big book - Spidey #3 ! 

The Dragon's Lair was the first comic book store I went to when I moved to Council Bluffs in the fall of 1980. Back then, Bob had an extensive back issue array. I go over to visit with Bob every 2 - 3 months; he remembers me, and is willing to chat about old comics. Although the shop still have a few Silver Age issues up on the wall, it seems that the shop has gravitated toward newer books, along with Magic cards, etc. I'm sure that route is profitable, but it's not what I am interested in.

1 hour ago, Joe Ankenbauer said:

The Dragon's Lair was the first comic book store I went to when I moved to Council Bluffs in the fall of 1980. Back then, Bob had an extensive back issue array. I go over to visit with Bob every 2 - 3 months; he remembers me, and is willing to chat about old comics. Although the shop still have a few Silver Age issues up on the wall, it seems that the shop has gravitated toward newer books, along with Magic cards, etc. I'm sure that route is profitable, but it's not what I am interested in.

Thanks for the update Joe. I’m glad you still get to see Bob.  I stopped by over a decade ago to the new location and saw what you were talking about.  He might’ve had photocopies of some of his golden age Timely’s available to look at !  I don’t think he was at the store when I was there. If you remember please tell Bob the next time you see him that it was his store that cultivated my love of comic book collecting   In response to that, I was involved in bringing the All Star 8  9.4 and the Sensation Comics 1  9.6 to market a few years back. It all started over on Blondo street ! 

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 10/13/2020 at 5:50 PM, Webhead2018 said:

I so want a 129 hoping to get a good shape low grade.

If you're looking to get a low grade then yellow covers are your best bet. The yellow obscures wear & tear more than others. I think last I checked 129s in low grade are well within reach. 

My lcs had a high grade one that was to pricey for me. Which he sold recently. He also has a lower grade one he is pressing that is more in price I can go for. But there is a few regulars like me who are asking for it. So going to likely be first get once it done being press to get. He did say he may have more in another collection but got to see what happens.