• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

33 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

and let's face it; a toothy giant worm destroying a city is a pretty amazing fantasy, right?

The worm is just as loveable as Peter Parker in my opinion.  I’m surprised Disney hasn’t optioned him for a family friendly film.  Ha. Ha.  I’m glad I cracked the comic open so I could read it because it’s brutal and wayyyy different than a Spidey comic.  There’s also a hilarious ad on the back for a mail order miniature dog.

On 12/19/2020 at 6:37 AM, Webhead2018 said:

Sucks nowadays trying to get sa spidey. Sure I am still youngish in my 30s. But curse spidey going up in prices. Even for low grade to get key issues.

I hear you.  A CGC 6.0 ASM #9 with Electro just sold at Heritage for $2,040.  Prices on low & mid grade key Spideys are really surprising to me especially with how many copies are out there.  Wish I still had some of mine.

1 hour ago, Webhead2018 said:

Ya and prices like that I can't afford even when they are raw. Lowest I have is a 3 from like 4 or 5 years ago. Hammer condition mind you but still happy to have a single digit issue. As the rest of the pre 100 are in the 20s, 40s, 50s, 70-90s.

Are you collecting raw copies primarily or both? I don't think I've seen you post too many slabs?

3 minutes ago, Webhead2018 said:

I only have one slab book a secret wars 8 signed by zeck 9.6. All my asm are raw. And in doubt mind raw or slab. But I mostly going for raw from my lcs. I do plan/need to slab at least the keys I do have some day.

Only a few books in ASM, Avengers, and FF in my collection are slabbed, and the only ones I had slabbed personally were ASM 1 & Avengers 1 after restoration and signed by Stan Lee. I much prefer having raw books in my collection, and it drives me crazy that I can't fit the slabs in their correct places within  my collection. I love they way they present in a brand new 2mm shiny mylar bags with 2 boards for support, and they are protected just fine.

Is that a popped or almost popped top staple on your 99? If so, my copy also has that problem. I wonder if that's common on that book.

11 hours ago, JohnH19 said:

Is that a popped or almost popped top staple on your 99? If so, my copy also has that problem. I wonder if that's common on that book.

No the staple is not popped, it is bent a little bit though. The reflection does make it look popped though. 

Edited by BigDaddy1

47 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

It’s a beautiful cover alright. The story on the other hand...9_9 

I just ordered a raw copy that the dealer graded as 8.0 as an upgrade for my 6.0ish copy. 

Nice! I remember a few pages back you mentioned you were looking to upgrade. Post a pic when you get it.