• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Nice 55 that issue was first silver age book I bought 7 years ago. My copy is pretty sharp and lots of color.

Issue 55, not this particular copy, was the second 12 cent Spidey I bought off the rack in 1967. Issue 54 was my first 12 cent book but 25 cent ASM King Size Special #4 was my first ever Marvel comic.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:09 PM, JohnH19 said:

Issue 55, not this particular copy, was the second 12 cent Spidey I bought off the rack in 1967. Issue 54 was my first 12 cent book but 25 cent ASM King Size Special #4 was my first ever Marvel comic.

I love these stories! Would you still have it? What store in particular if you don't mind me asking? Supermarket, drugstore? 

7 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

I love these stories! Would you still have it? What store in particular if you don't mind me asking? Supermarket, drugstore? 

I bought all of my current issues at drug stores. I passed by one on the way to and from school so afternoon stops were almost a daily occurrence. What a magical smell those old school drug stores had. :cloud9:

Around the same time that I bought the 55, which would have been September of 1967, a couple of friends and I hopped the bus to a used book store somebody told me about. We were 8 years old.:bigsmile: Anyway, this little book store, owned by a guy who looked like the Terrible Tinkerer, had second hand comics under the counter. The Tinkerer pulled out the stack for me and I walked out of there with 25 books from 1966 and 67, mostly ASM and Tales of Suspense, maybe a few FF, for the princely sum of $1.25. I know I got most of the early Romita issues, including 39 and 40, in the haul. It was a joyous moment in my life that I'll never forget.

35 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

Regarding your other question; I no longer have any of the Spidey books I collected as a youngster. I started collecting at the tail end of what I still feel is the greatest run of comic book stories in history; ASM 39-56. With the back issues I accumulated, I had them all. They were magnificent then and they're magnificent now. Unfortunately, IMO, the title took a swift downturn beginning with issue 57 and the combination of a decline in the quality of the stories and the price increase to 15 cents with issue 75, I stopped collecting ASM with issue 81. The Kangaroo was the last straw! Not long after, I sold my 48 issue ASM collection, dating back to issue 20, to a friend for a 5 dollar bill. Hey, that was just about cover price value! I thought I did pretty well on the deal.:banana:

On 1/12/2021 at 5:42 PM, JohnH19 said:

I bought all of my current issues at drug stores. I passed by one on the way to and from school so afternoon stops were almost a daily occurrence. What a magical smell those old school drug stores had. :cloud9:

Around the same time that I bought the 55, which would have been September of 1967, a couple of friends and I hopped the bus to a used book store somebody told me about. We were 8 years old.:bigsmile: Anyway, this little book store, owned by a guy who looked like the Terrible Tinkerer, had second hand comics under the counter. The Tinkerer pulled out the stack for me and I walked out of there with 25 books from 1966 and 67, mostly ASM and Tales of Suspense, maybe a few FF, for the princely sum of $1.25. I know I got most of the early Romita issues, including 39 and 40, in the haul. It was a joyous moment in my life that I'll never forget.

I too bought my very first ASM Issue 260 at my local drug store back in January 1985. Later, I started to purchase from a bookstore in Rochester, MN for all my comics. At the time the cover price was .60¢.

8 minutes ago, Webhead2018 said:

Heck I wish I started in 90s when new and older stuff was way cheaper. I didn't start collecting to 99/00 and books where at 2.25 then.

It's easy to say that.  It wasn't all rainbows, butterflies, and unicorns.  Grading was spotty and undisclosed restoration was a definite problem.  Outside of the big markets, keys weren't that easy to find.  If you found them, you paid an arm and a leg and you were grateful that any copy was available.

Besides, I was in University and had very little disposable income.

Edited by piper