• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, DST said:

Here is the current status of my CGC 5.0 WP Project.  The next time I post an update will be upon it's completion when I finally procure an ASM7 to finish off this linear run!!!!!!!

5.0_WP_Project.thumb.jpg.4962428d04563bd9e49daab718f55ae8.jpg

If anyone has any leads on a copy please PM (thumbsu

I think Spidey 7 is a little tougher because people confuse it with Spidey 2 which was the first Vulture.

27107301730_fb3b630f4e_b.jpg

4 minutes ago, BB-Gun said:

I think Spidey 7 is a little tougher because people confuse it with Spidey 2 which was the first Vulture.

27107301730_fb3b630f4e_b.jpg

I’ve seen plenty of ASM7 5.0s.  There’s one on eBay and another on Heritage right now as we speak.  It’s just finding one with strictly white pages that’s proven elusive(thumbsu

Edited by DST

39 minutes ago, DST said:

I’ve seen plenty of ASM7 5.0s.  There’s one on eBay and another on Heritage right now as we speak.  It’s just finding one with strictly white pages that’s proven elusive(thumbsu

yeah but if you get it, its gonna mess up your perfect 3 rows of 7 books each. i think you should stand pat as is. impressive acheivement! :martini:

14 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

I got many of my books from Pharmacies in the 60's ... the smell is one I never encounter anymore but will never forget. Many of them had Soda Fountains where you could get a root beer float and other goodies.... and the AC :cloud9: ... it was sublime on a hot summer day. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

this is possibly my favorite of the Ditko covers .... I never get tired of it. 

ASM 19 ... CGC 9.0.jpeg

In the early sixties I got my books from the local drug store.  I never found a local store with a soda fountain.  I could go downtown for a soda and there was a Mom and Pop store on the main street through town.  They (Mom and Pop) sold comics and made sodas.  I usually got pretzels at their store before we attended the nearby theater.

1 minute ago, BB-Gun said:

In the early sixties I got my books from the local drug store.  I never found a local store with a soda fountain.  I could go downtown for a soda and there was a Mom and Pop store on the main street through town.  They (Mom and Pop) sold comics and made sodas.  I usually got pretzels at their store before we attended the nearby theater.

That was a bit before my time... I was alive but not a buyer yet. When I was a new buyer, spending all my yard money on comics (25-50 cents a week) it was circa '66 and on. My hot spots were a 7-11 and a Rexall Pharmacy at my Grandparents (summer time) and a place called "The Newstand" a couple miles from my house. They carried the best selection by far..... Harvey, Charlton, Gold Key, Marvel, Classics, and DC were all there on a 6 feet tall by 20 feet long shelf system. Lots of paperbacks and magazines available as well. I was on the cusp of the Stan Lee and Roy Thomas era ... my vocabulary was growing by leaps and bounds... I feel sorry for today's kids to whom reading is an alien activity. In the summer at Nanny and Poppa's .... two comics and a slurpie :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

10 minutes ago, jimjum12 said:

That was a bit before my time... I was alive but not a buyer yet. When I was a new buyer, spending all my yard money on comics (25-50 cents a week) it was circa '66 and on. My hot spots were a 7-11 and a Rexall Pharmacy at my Grandparents (summer time) and a place called "The Newstand" a couple miles from my house. They carried the best selection by far..... Harvey, Charlton, Gold Key, Marvel, Classics, and DC were all there on a 6 feet tall by 20 feet long shelf system. Lots of paperbacks and magazines available as well. I was on the cusp of the Stan Lee and Roy Thomas era ... my vocabulary was growing by leaps and bounds... I feel sorry for today's kids to whom reading is an alien activity. In the summer at Nanny and Poppa's .... two comics and a slurpie :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

Most of my sixties collection was purchased from the Rexall in Monroe, MI.  I located discount comics at local shops but didn't find any back issue shops until I moved to East Lansing and started selling to the Curious Book Store (Ray owned the shop back then, not Harley).

1 minute ago, BB-Gun said:

Most of my sixties collection was purchased from the Rexall in Monroe, MI.  I located discount comics at local shops but didn't find any back issue shops until I moved to East Lansing and started selling to the Curious Book Store (Ray owned the shop back then, not Harley).

There was a mysterious used book store in downtown Raleigh where one could supposedly get an ASM 1 for 5 bucks, but I could never talk Dad into taking me. 5 dollars would be a years salary to me back then. GOD BLESS....

The drug store where I bought my first superhero comic (Jimmy Olsen 80 Pg. Giant #13) in the summer of 1965 is still in business. It’s not far from where I live so I wander over there once or twice a year.

On 1/25/2021 at 5:50 PM, DST said:

Here is the current status of my CGC 5.0 WP Project.  The next time I post an update will be upon it's completion when I finally procure an ASM7 to finish off this linear run!!!!!!!

5.0_WP_Project.thumb.jpg.4962428d04563bd9e49daab718f55ae8.jpg

If anyone has any leads on a copy please PM (thumbsu

Now that is really sweet looking!! :applause: Fantastic accomplishment so far, looking forward to your next update to complete the Spidey run :headbang:

If this has been covered in another area I am sorry about that, but I thought this would be the best place to ask for educated opinions:  Why is Gwen Stacy's first  appearance have so much more dollar value than Mary Jane's?  Just a quick look on eBay shows an 8,5 of 31 selling for $1600, while an 8.5 of 43 sold for $449.  I think Mary Jane is the far more important character with many more appearances over more years in the series.  Is it the idea of Gwen's death that drives it up?  I was thinking it might be the murkiness of Mary Jane's first appearance.  There is the cameo in 25, you get the iconic scene at the end of 42, or the first full appearance in 43.  Anyway I was just wanting some other folks opinion on it.  Thanks!