• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,435 posts in this topic

3 hours ago, piper said:

What grade criteria?

I am more of a completist when it comes to collecting...although I do become much more snobbish when, in this case, issues above 55, for example.  Most of them are at least 8.5 (VF+).  For the first 25, I'll take a VG/FN but I'd rather get what I can at the moment.  I don't generally upgrade much, but who knows, maybe this'll be a different.

2 hours ago, JazzMan said:

You've got the AF15 as your crown jewel, so you should be happy about that.  After owning one I stupidly sold it for what seemed like a huge profit at the time but, alas, it is becoming increasingly further from my grasp as the days move on.  I may settle for a nice looking restored book in the future. 

I went through something similar to you for a number of years, actually.  It wasn't until the last six months that I once again had a focus and discipline to hunt for a run or specific comic.  I've noticed that I prefer the thrill of the hunt rather than the trophy in the end.  Being an undisciplined collector brought me little joy - more of spontaneous buys rather than a methodical approach to collecting.  I would categorize it as impulse buys.  Bottom line, don't lose the drive - each book contains a story and has a story, so keep making stories.

Well said, for me, it's almost always about the hunt for the treasure,  Jealous of the AF15, unless I find it an attic somewhere, it will elude me.  It's just too expensive of a book, especially right now when a purchase of a Bronze key requires organ selling.

15 minutes ago, Webhead2018 said:

Where do you get that storage thing man. And how much space it takes up.

The best ones I found were from Ikea.  Unfortunately, they seem to be a lot of churn of the styles recently. I used to be able to count on the ones with the metal corners but I can't find those now.  In fact, the last ones I bought don't match any so they are relegated to hidden storage.  But if you're interested, here's the details for ones that are currently available:

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/tjog-magazine-file-dark-gray-90477658/

Nice what type of bookcase do you use them on. I recently moved and wanted to get some bookcases for some nick nacks and storage of games/movies and extra space for my comics. But I don't want any flimsy fake wood type bookcase like you see at Walmart or what not.

On 4/27/2021 at 10:37 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Yes I noticed that too. I only need #1 to complete my ASM collection but it looks like it is out of my reach now.

As I chip away at my 1-40 run, I'm starting to think that the ASM 1 might not be attainable.  I may just "settle" for a GRR on that one.  I can only think of a few ways I could pull off an original at the current prices:

1. Sell off some of my other Spidey's to finance it (kind of pointless there)

2. Sell my FF5 to (partially) finance it  (don't see this happening)

3.  Put it on credit card (definitely not happening)

4.  Dip into my retirement to fund it (definitely not happening)

So, the GRR looks more and more likely.  I'll be alright.