• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,428 posts in this topic

Calling on all Spider-Man experts! Please check out the video below. Duke from Shangalla is working with GCD trying to fill in all the unknowns about these Mexican Spider-Man comics from the 1970's.  These books were produced every 2 weeks and sometimes every week so the artists were really cranking them out and sometimes swiped art from other comics. He is looking for some help identifying which issues the original art was swiped from. Can you help him out? It should be an art Easter egg hunt of epic proportions and just the kind of challenge that only fans of your caliber would be able to undertake!

Edited by flashlites

14 minutes ago, alexgross.com said:

wow! how far is this raw high grade ditko spidey countdown going to go? it's an impressive group. did you crack some of these?

I was lucky enough to grab the majority of them before CGC even did exist as I was focusing mainly on just three titles back in the time but a few were bought slabbed then cracked to better "fit" with their raw neighbors. I kept the label on those though to remind me of their assigned CGC grade.

Raw books also take less space and you can put more of them in a box than CGC books which is especially useful when you rent a space in a bank to keep them.

The only ASM issues that I have that are in CGC cases are #1-5

Edited by pickycollector

Hey guys,

Looking for a little advice...

I'm only a handful of issues away from a complete run of ASM #1 - current issue (#865 as of this time of writing). 

The last few issues that remain include some big ones; #2-6, 9, 11, 26, and Annual #1. 

My collection is a reader run, particularly for the early issues, around 1.8 - 5.0 with the earlier/more valuable ones being lower grade, and ideally wanting to have them around 2.0-3.0 depending on cost. 

These all seem to be hitting all time highs...maybe due to pandemic money/downtime but I'm sure they won't return to pre-pandemic levels (they never seem to go all the way back). 

Now I realize no one here has a crystal ball (right?) but my questions for you guys are...

With vaccine rollout the world slowly appears to being going back to normal...should I wait this out and see if things cool down or at least level off a little at this point? 

Of the remaining issues I need are there any I should prioritize? 

In some cases I have a chance to grab some lower grade copied than I would like (for example, a 0.5 annual #1 for around $340.00 USD, cover detached and no back cover). 

Should I just grab what I can get for now and perhaps look at upgrading later...or better to try and find the grades I want? 

Any FYI, I'd never wrack up a credit card...just spending what extra money I'm comfortable with and maybe even selling some non-Spidey PC books to put towards the run. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

As you said, nobody has a crystal ball so in terms of future investment no one can tell you for sure which books will raise most in value in the next years.

As for which books you should prioritize, the answer is easy: buy the books you like the most (for art, cover, story, whatever) first. This way, you will be happy even if they don't rise in value.