• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

I'm down to my last 3 issues AF15 (only a lotto win) Amazing 1,2 then the complete run to the end of Superior all the annuals Giantsize and satellite titles. I would say all my silver age are roughly 3.0 to 4.0 but I love them no matter what. I figure if I'm lucky I might get about £2000 for the lot even though I've never seen a run here in Belfast. If anyone in Ireland has a full set I would love to know just to prove I'm not insane? 

16 hours ago, fishbone said:

Questions:

1) Anyone have the whole ASM run (let's say  1-700)  ?

2) how common/uncommon is it to have collected the whole run ?

3) let's say first 100 books average out to fine, then the rest are VF-mint, what value would you place on the whole run (estimate) ?

Thanks

I did, including AF15, and most of the variants, up until a couple of years ago.  Then I started selling off a few of them here and there.  Now there are quite a few gaps, but it was nice to have the entire run at one point.

17 hours ago, fishbone said:

Questions:

3) let's say first 100 books average out to fine, then the rest are VF-mint, what value would you place on the whole run (estimate) ?

Thanks

I'm working on completing the main run of ASM.  At this point, AF #15 is likely a pipe dream, but who knows...If you are interested, I am "documenting" this "journey" in the old journal section of the boards..."Weaving the Web"...

I currently have from #39 to present in a perfect run (again, excluding variants) and several annuals (but focusing on main run).  I think I need like 30 issues (including the most expensive ones like ASM #1 and ASM #3) to complete it.  I also have the entire Superior Spider-Man run as I just see that as actual ASM books anyways.

I'm not sure how far I will keep collecting as the modern stuff just isn't really doing it for me anymore...Maybe go to #1,000?

21 hours ago, fishbone said:

Questions:

Thanks

1. I used to have 1-700 but sold off everything after 100 plus 121, 122, 129, 238, and 300. The proceeds were used to purchase an AF15.

2. I don't think it's super common but lots of boardies have done it.

3. hm

4 hours ago, Wall-Crawler said:

I'm working on completing the main run of ASM.  At this point, AF #15 is likely a pipe dream, but who knows...If you are interested, I am "documenting" this "journey" in the old journal section of the boards..."Weaving the Web"...

I currently have from #39 to present in a perfect run (again, excluding variants) and several annuals (but focusing on main run).  I think I need like 30 issues (including the most expensive ones like ASM #1 and ASM #3) to complete it.  I also have the entire Superior Spider-Man run as I just see that as actual ASM books anyways.

I'm not sure how far I will keep collecting as the modern stuff just isn't really doing it for me anymore...Maybe go to #1,000?

Superior was a fun read.

Looks like the first ever 9.8 graded copy of ASM 14 is about to break the mark that the CGC 9.8 graded copy sold for back in later 2015:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-14-marvel-1964-cbcs-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7166-91184.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Wonder how much higher this copy can go and also wondering if the fact that this is still an unpressed and original "natural" copy will help to boost its final price?  hm

Edited by lou_fine

19 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

Looks like the first ever 9.8 graded copy of ASM 14 is about to break the mark that the CGC 9.8 graded copy sold for back in later 2015:

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/the-amazing-spider-man-14-marvel-1964-cbcs-nm-mt-98-white-pages/a/7166-91184.s?ic4=GalleryView-Thumbnail-071515

Wonder how much higher this copy can go and also wondering if the fact that this is still an unpressed and"natural" copy will help to boost its final price?  hm

I realize some collectors don't mind buying Voldy books because you basically get a substantial discount compared to the same grade CGC, but if it were me I would always have "I just paid $55k for a CGC 9.6" going through my mind.  

Edited by comicquant

16 minutes ago, comicquant said:

I realize some collectors don't mind buying Voldy books because you basically get a substantial discount compared to the same grade CGC, but if it were me I would always have "I just paid $55k for a CGC 9.6" going through my mind.  

I guess that must have been exactly what all of the brainwashed and rabid CGC diehards must have been thinking when what did turned out to be a CGC 8.5 graded copy of AF 15 sold for only $77K back in August of last year.  hm

Imagine saying "I just paid $77K for a CGC 8.5 graded copy of AF 15" going though my mind.  doh!