• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

12 minutes ago, lou_fine said:

I guess that must have been exactly what all of the brainwashed and rabid CGC diehards must have been thinking when what did turned out to be a CGC 8.5 graded copy of AF 15 sold for only $77K back in August of last year.  hm

Imagine saying "I just paid $77K for a CGC 8.5 graded copy of AF 15" going though my mind.  doh!

I'd bet on brainwashed and rabid rather than luck any day, but thats just logic speaking.

Edited by comicquant

On 7/12/2017 at 4:16 AM, Knightsofold said:

ASM1 read thru pics

I like Stan's footnote here.

35471455430_c09910fb42_b.jpg

This pic always reminds me of Hulk #1

35689966002_0703f4a813_b.jpg

I don't like the space capsule story much, but it's interesting to me that it was published only 7 months after USA first partially successful unmanned rocket to the moon (crash landing), and over 6 years before Neil and Buzz landed on the moon in 1969.

35471450710_0854798077_b.jpg

I like the torch head here. 

35859104965_3cff0b1078_b.jpg

First meeting of many!

35049939783_67bd79685c_b.jpg

Nice hype from Stan.

35859090565_9bbb4eb499_b.jpg

Ask your dealer! 

35859091625_d77954dd31_b.jpg

Still using the "Reds" in comics of 1962.  What year did that stop?

35019400514_06780889a6_b.jpg

Did his strength grow with age?

35727461111_61d603d76f_b.jpg

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing these - I really enjoyed them.

22 hours ago, comicquant said:
22 hours ago, lou_fine said:

I guess that must have been exactly what all of the brainwashed and rabid CGC diehards must have been thinking when what did turned out to be a CGC 8.5 graded copy of AF 15 sold for only $77K back in August of last year.  hm

Imagine saying "I just paid $77K for a CGC 8.5 graded copy of AF 15" going though my mind.  doh!

I'd bet on brainwashed and rabid rather than luck any day, but thats just logic speaking.

Maybe you also need a lot of luck on your side too.  :gossip:

Since it sounds as though you only came back to comic collecting about a year or so ago, I believe you would find the following to be a rather illuminating and enlightening read since I am not sure if you ever wander over to the BA Forum or not:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/388228-x-men-100-92-and-x-men-101-80-came-back-ss-80-and-ss-70/?page=1

Imagine saying "I just resubmitted my CGC 9.2 graded copy of X-Men 100 and it came back as only a CGC 8.0 graded copy."  Lucky for the submittor that he had saved the previous 9.2 label which he then sent back into CGC along with the book who then agreed that they had been too tight on the 8.0 grade and gave the book back to him as a CGC 9.0 graded copy.  Likewise, his X-Men 101 went from a CGC 8.0 to a CGC 7.0 and then back to a CGC 8.0.  Or for another submittor where their book had gone from a CGC 9.6 down to a CGC 9.0, or was it the other way around?   lol

My take on the whole grading situation is that you need to be both accurate and consistent.  Being too loose is certainly not good, but at the same time, being too tight is also not right, especially if it's unreasonable and reaches the point of undergrading.  Yes, you will most likely gain market share in light of growing competition as your books will "seem" to carry more value vis-a-vis its assigned grade, but it also invalidates all of your own company's previous graded books at the same time.  The consumer generally wins in a pricing war, but this is not necessarily the case when one company decides to initiate a grading war as it can result in a race to the bottom.   hm  :frown:

You do realize that the person that started up the other company is the exact same person who headed up CGC for the first decade of its existence.  And you do realize that the top grader from CGC also left and joined up with the other company when it first started up a few years ago.  :gossip:

18 hours ago, lou_fine said:

Maybe you also need a lot of luck on your side too.  :gossip:

Since it sounds as though you only came back to comic collecting about a year or so ago, I believe you would find the following to be a rather illuminating and enlightening read since I am not sure if you ever wander over to the BA Forum or not:

https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/388228-x-men-100-92-and-x-men-101-80-came-back-ss-80-and-ss-70/?page=1

Imagine saying "I just resubmitted my CGC 9.2 graded copy of X-Men 100 and it came back as only a CGC 8.0 graded copy."  Lucky for the submittor that he had saved the previous 9.2 label which he then sent back into CGC along with the book who then agreed that they had been too tight on the 8.0 grade and gave the book back to him as a CGC 9.0 graded copy.  Likewise, his X-Men 101 went from a CGC 8.0 to a CGC 7.0 and then back to a CGC 8.0.  Or for another submittor where their book had gone from a CGC 9.6 down to a CGC 9.0, or was it the other way around?   lol

My take on the whole grading situation is that you need to be both accurate and consistent.  Being too loose is certainly not good, but at the same time, being too tight is also not right, especially if it's unreasonable and reaches the point of undergrading.  Yes, you will most likely gain market share in light of growing competition as your books will "seem" to carry more value vis-a-vis its assigned grade, but it also invalidates all of your own company's previous graded books at the same time.  The consumer generally wins in a pricing war, but this is not necessarily the case when one company decides to initiate a grading war as it can result in a race to the bottom.   hm  :frown:

You do realize that the person that started up the other company is the exact same person who headed up CGC for the first decade of its existence.  And you do realize that the top grader from CGC also left and joined up with the other company when it first started up a few years ago.  :gossip:

You're right, I've only been back for about 18 months after a 20+ year break but I've participated quite a bit on these boards and have learned a lot from some of the most knowledgable people in the hobby (including yourself).  Not to mention during those 18 months I've submitted over 150 books (GA to MA) to CGC which gives me a pretty accurate perspective into the current landscape.  

I've heard numerous horror stories just in the past couple of months about resubs coming back 2,3,4 grades lower and its shaking the idea of consistency.  These aren't stories I've heard thrice removed; these are fellow collectors I'm in communication with daily (for the most part).  One submitted a CGC SS 9.2 IH 181 and it came back a 6.0.  Granted there may have been mishandling or serious damage incurred during the grading process but these discrepancies are becoming more common and the results increasingly disparate.  I myself recently had an ASM 14 go in a 6.5 and come back a 6.0.  Based on the positive results of a few batches of books I had graded during Q1 and the opinions of fellow collectors I was confident in the resub but the results were surprising.  I've had numerous CPR's come back with half of the entries in the graders notes removed yet receive the same grade.  For me, this is a sufficient means to quantifying CGC's current strictness relative to a historical grade.

So why does all this matter?  CGC's strictness appears to have made collectors even less confident about buying Voldy graded books.  Grade for grade, book for book, in most cases, CGC holds more value; in some cases drastically more value.  Conjecture withheld, Borock himself is seriously concerned about the loss of market share to CGC in the last year.  What does this mean long term?  I don't know, but if CGC's strictness directly coincides with increased market share, we can kiss any chance of reverting to the "normal standard" of grading goodbye.  What we are currently experiencing may very well be the new norm.    

Coming back full circle to our discussion's original narrative, as I mentioned above, Voldy doesn't hold value grade for grade and I only see this gap widening.  So, from my perspective, buying a Voldy 9.8 ASM #14 is too risky a move.  In addition, thanks to HA's hi-res pictures I would put money on that book coming back a CGC 9.6.  There's corner and edge wear that wouldn't pass CGC's standard for a 9.8.

15 hours ago, comicquant said:

You're right, I've only been back for about 18 months after a 20+ year break but I've participated quite a bit on these boards and have learned a lot from some of the most knowledgable people in the hobby (including yourself).  Not to mention during those 18 months I've submitted over 150 books (GA to MA) to CGC which gives me a pretty accurate perspective into the current landscape.  

I've heard numerous horror stories just in the past couple of months about resubs coming back 2,3,4 grades lower and its shaking the idea of consistency.  These aren't stories I've heard thrice removed; these are fellow collectors I'm in communication with daily (for the most part).  One submitted a CGC SS 9.2 IH 181 and it came back a 6.0.  Granted there may have been mishandling or serious damage incurred during the grading process but these discrepancies are becoming more common and the results increasingly disparate.  I myself recently had an ASM 14 go in a 6.5 and come back a 6.0.  Based on the positive results of a few batches of books I had graded during Q1 and the opinions of fellow collectors I was confident in the resub but the results were surprising.  I've had numerous CPR's come back with half of the entries in the graders notes removed yet receive the same grade.  For me, this is a sufficient means to quantifying CGC's current strictness relative to a historical grade.

So why does all this matter?  CGC's strictness appears to have made collectors even less confident about buying Voldy graded books.  Grade for grade, book for book, in most cases, CGC holds more value; in some cases drastically more value.  Conjecture withheld, Borock himself is seriously concerned about the loss of market share to CGC in the last year.  What does this mean long term?  I don't know, but if CGC's strictness directly coincides with increased market share, we can kiss any chance of reverting to the "normal standard" of grading goodbye.  What we are currently experiencing may very well be the new norm.    

Coming back full circle to our discussion's original narrative, as I mentioned above, Voldy doesn't hold value grade for grade and I only see this gap widening.  So, from my perspective, buying a Voldy 9.8 ASM #14 is too risky a move.  In addition, thanks to HA's hi-res pictures I would put money on that book coming back a CGC 9.6.  There's corner and edge wear that wouldn't pass CGC's standard for a 9.8.

Wow, that is an well thought out and detailed response.  (thumbsu

I would agree with you that what we are seeing right now might just indeed be the new norm for now.  That last part is critical because as we have seen in the past before, grading standards will change whenever there is a new grading team and head grader in place.   This is totally understandable as everybody has certain defects they really hate on a book and other defects that they don't mind as much, and not all the graders think alike.  It's just up to us as submittors to try figure out how the unpublished standards are changing whenever there are new personnel in place.  hm

And as we have also seen on other previous occasions before, if the business agenda is to switch again to encourage more resubmits in order to generate more revenue, the grading standards will be lowered ever so slightly that upgrades will be noticeable.  It should be noted that this last point is really more of a conspiracy theory than anything else since it is something that can definitely not be proven.  Of course, it could also be due to nothing more than bad or inconsistent grading which is always possible since grading is really nothing more than an opinion and still more of an art as opposed to an actual  science.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 7/30/2017 at 8:34 AM, SECollector said:

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing these - I really enjoyed them.

Thanks, I hope to do more.  It's fun to look through these books from time to time, and I like sharing em.

Just now, AL Comics said:

Haven't posted anything on this thread in a while. Just got this one today: :whee:

ASM 12002.jpg

ASM 12003.jpg

ASM 12004.jpg

Love it!

On July 29, 2017 at 3:32 PM, comicquant said:

I realize some collectors don't mind buying Voldy books because you basically get a substantial discount compared to the same grade CGC, but if it were me I would always have "I just paid $55k for a CGC 9.6" going through my mind.  

I don't mind buying books graded by c$b$c$s. Two companies opinions.  Instead of grading tighter/looser how about grading accurately on a universal grading scale. Overstreet's grading criteria is well thought out and well explained.  Keeping collectors in the dark as to what gets a book kicked down to a 9.6 from a 9.8 doesn't help anyone but the grading company.  If an ASM #5 is graded a 8.5 then resubmitted to the same company and gets a 7.5 then the grading notes should reflect it.  I assume that there would be more defects listed. I just wish they would be more transparent with their grading standards.  Just my opinion.

6 minutes ago, Wall-Crawler said:

One more off the list...On vacay, no access to the scanner I usually use but here it is...

Kraven 2.jpg

Well done! What venue did you buy/win it from. I still need to pick up a copy, but keep losing focus...

9 minutes ago, AL Comics said:

My girlfriend just surprised me with an ASM #10 for my birthday. :whee:

IMG_8149.JPG

IMG_8146.JPG

She's a keeper!