• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, WoWitHurts said:

my birth month/year spidey book!

It was issue 81 that made me quit collecting ASM as an almost 11 year old back in late '69. I started with issue 54, picked up most of the back issues to #20, and purchased spinner rack copies every month up to this Kangaroo issue. I was so disappointed in how much the quality of the book had slipped in the 2+ years that I collected that I sold my 48 issue collection, including all King Size Specials, to a buddy for the princely sum of $5. Hey, I got almost full cover price for them! ^^

Needless to say, I now have every issue of ASM that I used to have back again, plus several hundred more.

5 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

How much it cost you to get stuff again.....

More than 5 bucks.:tonofbricks:

But seriously, folks, it's been more than a 25 year process to get to my Vol 1 run of 2-441 plus the GRR reprint of #1. I got back into buying ASM, and other random nostalgia books, in 1992 when I discovered the Marvel Masterworks hardcover reprints. Then I bought Marvel Tales reprints of silver and early bronze age issues that the Masterworks hadn't covered yet. At the same time, I started buying current issues of ASM and related Spidey titles with crossovers like Maximum Carnage and the endless Clone Saga. I quit again around issue 408 when the material became intolerable and I lost interest.

My goal was never to finish the run, it just kind of happened. The first "expensive" book I picked up was ASM 50, with the greatest comic book cover of all time. I paid about a 100 bucks for a beautiful 7ish copy about 15 years ago. Other than that, I was picking up much less expensive books where and when I could find them, whether it was locally or on ebay. Then, six or seven years ago, I was looking through a pile of early bronze age Spideys at a LCS when I came to his 129. It was raw and it was spectacular! (You can see it in the PGM thread if you go back a few months.) I wasn't looking for a 129 because of the value but I had to have this one. He gave me a price that was basically half book so I took it. That's when I first thought of finishing the run but it was still just a pipe dream.

Then, about a year and a half ago the LCS closest to my home got in a collection with a full run of early issues. I bought #2 from him and a few others. Then he got another mostly gorgeous raw run in several months ago and I got a bunch more which I've been showing off on this thread. I have also picked up a few nice ones here on the boards in the little over a year I've been active. I've had to sell some sports related collectibles to finance the expensive books that I've purchased but that's what you have to do when you're not wealthy. All in all, it's been great fun.:)

2 hours ago, Webhead2018 said:

Man I wish I had the money to warrant buy yesterday my lcs got a nice #100 in from a collection. But I just couldn't buy it right now. Curse bills that need to be paid lol. And #100 is only 100th issue I still need.

There are plenty out there for when it fits into your budget.

I am sure I will get this one from my lcs. I like getting oldies from my shop. As owner always gets a lot of great stuff from collections plus his collection he stores out of the shop. Plus most of the regulars who are spiderman guys likely already have said issue. Me and this other younger guy are ones trying to play catch up to older regulars.

19 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Some very strong results on HA today, most notably the 5 9.2 which sold for $9600.00

was looking at some potential upgrades, including this'un--was zeroed out IN A HURRY on all of 'em.   my little asm run might just end up as-is.

19 hours ago, Jordysnordy said:

Some very strong results on HA today, most notably the 5 9.2 which sold for $9600.00

I think I’ll have to settle for a 6.0 copy.

Some really nice books posted in this thread recently.

I used to collect Silver Age Spidey, and sold most of my books probably 8-10 years ago.  Now that I check out some recent auction prices, I'm surprised on how much prices have gone up for issues 1-40 especially for the semi-keys like 9,13,14, etc.   Even low grade books are selling for much higher than I remember.  I'd like to pick up a couple of my favorite issues again, but I see it's going to cost me. lol

Edited by Mickey7
correction

4 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

was looking at some potential upgrades, including this'un--was zeroed out IN A HURRY on all of 'em.   my little asm run might just end up as-is.

It’s a stinger but, if I’m being honest, I was never in the market for this book.  

As great an artist Ditko is, he couldn’t draw Doom.  It’s in the discussion for “worst Ditko cover 1-10”.  8 is the “worst”  book of the 1-10 run, but it’s got that sweet yellow cover.  I know people hate 10, but that’s a fun/good story.  

5 is just a middle of the road book.  Best thing it’s got going for it is “#5”.

4 hours ago, Mickey7 said:

Some really nice books posted in this thread recently.

I used to collect Silver Age Spidey, and sold most of my books probably 8-10 years ago.  Now that I check out some recent auction prices, I'm surprised on how much prices have gone up for issues 1-40 especially for the semi-keys like 9,13,14, etc.   Even low grade books are selling for much higher than I remember.  I'd like to pick up a couple of my favorite issues again, but I see it's going to cost me. lol

It's gotten to the point where almost all Spidey issues 20 and under are considered keys. You mentioned 14 as a semi-key but it's actually a major key close to the level of # 3. I took a poll here a couple of months ago asking which one was a bigger key and the responses were split almost evenly. The advice I was given was to get both, so I did.:)