• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

AF15c2.jpg

When and where did you pick this up? I'm guessing pre-CGC? Fantastic book...odd that it's the only copy I've ever seen in 9.2. And a weird thing--I looked up the serial number and the grade date was listed as 3/2/2005, yet it's clearly an old label book. Was it regraded, or is CGC's database hosed?

AF15c2.jpg

When and where did you pick this up? I'm guessing pre-CGC? Fantastic book...odd that it's the only copy I've ever seen in 9.2. And a weird thing--I looked up the serial number and the grade date was listed as 3/2/2005, yet it's clearly an old label book. Was it regraded, or is CGC's database hosed?

The database is messed up with this book. I noticed that awhile ago too.

I bought it in 2000. It was already slabbed and has never been re-graded or re-holdered.

Barton,

I'll echo what several others have said. Thank you for sharing these beauties! The AF15 is uncanny! The ASM 1 is gorgeous as well. I see many copies that are back to front miswrapped, yours is just dynamite.

Bravo!

I'm amazed at the quality of your run. Regardless of the grades (which are stellar), the wraps, the PQ, and the colors make for just absolutely gorgeous books. Clearly you were picky in putting it together. Fantastic (worship)

Thanks, Frank! I bought most of these books years ago and I've been focusing on other titles lately. So it's been fun to rekindle my love for old Spidey.

GT, how about a group shot of the af15 and the asm1-20?

:cloud9:

ASM_Group9.jpg

And because I don't love the lighting or focus issues on the group shot...

AF15c.jpgASM1b.jpgASM2r.jpg

ASM3a.jpgASM4.jpgASM5.jpg

ASM6r.jpgASM7.jpgASM8.jpg

ASM9.jpgASM10.jpgASM11-2.jpg

ASM12.jpgASM13-96.jpgASM14r.jpg

ASM15.jpgASM16.jpgASM17.jpg

ASM18.jpgASM19.jpgASM20.jpg

:o

I had to go in the b'room and throw up. :sick::)

Barton,

On the group shot, numbers and values ignored, which is the best. The 6,10, and 20 look to be very sharp copies.

I like the #3. It's not perfect structurally, but it's very fresh and clean.

You're right about the #6 and #20. They are sharp. The #10 is the Northland. It is nice but it's not as sharp as the White Mountain #10 which I used to own but traded it for this copy, some other books, and a utility infielder.

The #13 is very respectable too.

Barton, are you ever tempted to try to either straight-resub, or CPR any of your books?

Barton, are you ever tempted to try to either straight-resub, or CPR any of your books?

Yes. I've done both with a pretty good success rate. The majority of my slabs are old label so I have plenty of candidates. But I'm pretty happy with most of my books, I'm not planning on selling any time soon, and the costs can add up pretty quickly. So I've mostly just tested the water.

I say keep em in the old labels. I didn't think how cool it all looks altogether. Always been a fan of the new labels and never the old. Also, it's rare to find one these days especially in higher graded copies.

I'm a fan of the old labels.

I don't care about upgrade potential or notions of stricter grading; I'm a fan because they remind me of the ASM collection I had that was comprised almost entirely of old labels. I did most of my buying in 2001-2003.

Sweet books, Frank. They're all perfectly centered too. Is that by design?

As a rule for me, all other aspects of appearance and grade being equal, perfect or near-perfect registration and/or perfect or near-perfect vertical alignment (with not too much overlap to the BC) are of the utmost importance to me... :cloud9: