• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

Think about how much money you will eventually save once you stop buying diapers. That AF 15 will be a snap again :baiting:

Diapers and Similac formula. I swear, with the money I spent on those in the first year or so, I could be using a stack of AF 15s as a footrest.

I'd say I was a novice in terms of actually collecting Spidey. I'm trying to collect the first 75 issues. I've got about 26 issues so far and nothing earlier than issue 22 so far. Grade range is approx. 2.0-7.0.

I'm trying to mylar them, so far have cracked 3 out.

Its gonna be a long haul. By the time I get around to an AF15, I'm gonna need to pimp the wife out and sell the kids into slavery to pay for it. :cry:

Try and get the most expense ones first. I made the mistake of going backwards and it ends up costing you alot for in the long run. 2c

Too true. Especially AF 15.

I was doing so good at staying away from expensive early ASM's until a few months ago when I realized that mid grades were semi doable. This was the one that really started tugging at me....picked up at a LCS, Bender's Books :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ASM9.jpg

Sorry about the lousy pics....old camera is kind of hit and miss. I got this one from Andy across the pond and had Stan sign it. Technically it belongs to Judy, but she's been gracious enough to let me keep it in the "stack". I always loved this one and no SA Marvel collection is complete without one. GOD BLESS....

ASM6agf.jpg

ASM6ag.jpg

Sorry about the lousy pics....old camera is kind of hit and miss. I got this one from Andy across the pond and had Stan sign it. Technically it belongs to Judy, but she's been gracious enough to let me keep it in the "stack". I always loved this one and no SA Marvel collection is complete without one. GOD BLESS....

Great pickups. :applause:

Here's two more favorites.....but using the word favorite with a Ditko ASM is kind of redundant.These both came from a good friend and the 25 came from Blazing back when he was one of the few dealers that specialized in High Grade only.The 15 was once a PGX 8.5. GOD BLESS...

ASM15-1.jpg

ASM25.jpg

Hey, I got one of them too!

spider-man-25.jpg

I totally :cloud9: that book......I first read it in one of those old 25 cent Marvel Tales in the 60's......I was a Lee/Ditko fan for life. GOD BLESS....

P.S. That part where JJJ says, "He hasn't GOT a head..." still cracks me up.

Good stuff there, and ASM 6 still eludes me.

I have a #9 that I may work into an upgrade soon, it's from my best raw copies, VFNM.

asm009front90.jpg

Nice to see such a beautiful raw copy of this book. I see ASM 9's a lot, but not this lovely (I have a nice 7.0 slab).

An ASM 6 has eluded me too, the right copy just hasn't come along...

Oh jimbo, me like. Me like a lot. I already have an ASM 13, and that's one of the nicer mid's ASM 14's I've seen.

Nice PQ on both?

Pages are decent, though both have some yellowing to the covers and a touch of foxing. The 13 was priced as a good plus due to a 3" tear on an interior page and the 14 was priced at VG, even though it's a solid 5.0. A recent widow was selling the books to Dave and he was pricing them to move so he could afford to buy them from her....nice lady. She has/had over 20 boxes....a nice VG copy of AF 15 was in there....it flew out the door. These books kind of got me started back on an ASM run.....most are gone now. I happened to show up one Saturday morning right after he had priced the Spideys and got first shot at them. They were gone in hours. GOD BLESS...

ASM6agf.jpg

I love copies like that. Nice enough to be great collectibles without having to be a major financial investment.

ASM6agf.jpg

I love copies like that. Nice enough to be great collectibles without having to be a major financial investment.

.....that's the point to where my thinking has evolved.....and ironically, they almost seem to sell quicker (if the need arises) than the investment copies. The LCS around here that carries the most vintage stuff is reluctant to pick up real HG material.....but the Good to Fine Marvel books don't last too long. He's still got a bunch of 1960-1965 D.C. material in average VG shape at great prices. His VG is a NICE book. I picked up a few of those at around half guide, mostly the Sci-Fi and Fantasy. He's still got a nice pile of Wonder Womans that I hadn't seen before....neat books. The above Spidey 6 an example of a Goldust40 "Fine".....I've always been happy with anything from Andy and the wait time from the U.K. isn't much more than a week nowadays. GOD BLESS...

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I still love a high grade book. A few of my favorites, like 7, 15, and 25 are pretty nice....just not SO nice I'm afraid to touch them. I guess that's what slabs are for......and for the record....I would :cloud9: to have a run like Barton's.