• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,434 posts in this topic

Sorry about the lousy pics....old camera is kind of hit and miss. I got this one from Andy across the pond and had Stan sign it. Technically it belongs to Judy, but she's been gracious enough to let me keep it in the "stack". I always loved this one and no SA Marvel collection is complete without one. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

ASM6agf.jpg

I love copies like that. Nice enough to be great collectibles without having to be a major financial investment.

.....that's the point to where my thinking has evolved.....and ironically, they almost seem to sell quicker (if the need arises) than the investment copies. The LCS around here that carries the most vintage stuff is reluctant to pick up real HG material.....but the Good to Fine Marvel books don't last too long. He's still got a bunch of 1960-1965 D.C. material in average VG shape at great prices. His VG is a NICE book. I picked up a few of those at around half guide, mostly the Sci-Fi and Fantasy. He's still got a nice pile of Wonder Womans that I hadn't seen before....neat books. The above Spidey 6 an example of a Goldust40 "Fine".....I've always been happy with anything from Andy and the wait time from the U.K. isn't much more than a week nowadays. GOD BLESS...

P.S. Don't get me wrong, I still love a high grade book. A few of my favorites, like 7, 15, and 25 are pretty nice....just not SO nice I'm afraid to touch them. I guess that's what slabs are for......and for the record....I would :cloud9: to have a run like Barton's.

Thats a great book Jimbo.

I like it, Jesus likes it, and so does his friend :applause:

I've noticed that VG to Fine ASMs, particularly the early issues, move quick. Ultra high grade stuff is good at auction, but takes longer to move with fixed prices. The most lag seems to be with fixed price VF ranged books.

ASM is pretty unique in that there are a lot of ASM collectors who collect only that title. The demand is tremendous with nicer lower grade copies.

It really is amazing the amount of demand that exists for that title. At the mid range level they're even remotely affordable. Over the last couple of years, I've noticed run after run come up at auction and the continual sell through has been sobering in a positive way. I had initially been certain that the glut was the beginning of the end....but I finally decided ,"who cares ?".....I'm always going to want to have some comics and Ditko ASM's never get stale for me.I came to these boards 10 years ago and have slowly become a serious collector because of all the information available. We boardies really have seen it all, and I've finally begun to realize, through MUCH trial and error, what it is that I really want to collect (for now lol ).....and it's not a full run of anything. My financial situation limits me and I sure am liking these ASM books that I've loved for going on 50 years now. Truth be told, these boards add a profound dimension to my collecting....I may have drifted away without them. It's not a bad pastime.....I 've never been locked up for collecting comics and I guess it keeps me out of trouble lol GOD BLESS....

It really is amazing the amount of demand that exists for that title. At the mid range level they're even remotely affordable. Over the last couple of years, I've noticed run after run come up at auction and the continual sell through has been sobering in a positive way. I had initially been certain that the glut was the beginning of the end....but I finally decided ,"who cares ?".

Peter Dixon from Paradise Comics told me once that he gets 4-5x more people walking in to sell him ASMs than anything else, yet he never turns them down because he knows he can always move them, regardless of grade.

And I agree about glut; everyone always says this, but if prices crash on ASM in the future, I will be more than happy to pick up the pieces. These were the books I dreamed of owning as a kid, and they will always have a pull with me, regardless of how common they are or how easy they are to find.

Just imagine the prices if the demand were the same, but the supply much smaller...

....Jim Payette once said that when GA Superman and Batman quit selling the market will be dead....that also applies to ASM. A beautiful 9.0 slabbed copy can still be had for a hundred bucks from the late 60's on.....and even though they aren't Ditko, they're the one's I bought off the stands and they, along with Lee Kirby FF's, hooked me for life. 58 was the first one I bought with my own money and 64 was the next. I didn't miss an issue for a long while after that. I've been a Vulture fan since way back then and I still need a decent 2......but I'm picky and pauperish on that one, which isn't a good combination for acquisition . I have "Fine" taste on a "Good" budget. A decent 5.0 can run close to a thousand....I could possible settle for that, but I want OW/W and competition is stiff. It'll be next year before I could swing it. I don't know what I'm going to do about the # 1......even a chipped VG is out of my range. I could live with a "perfect" white paged Good, but those don't turn up much.....buried in collections.....with mostly rejects coming to market (no offense to anyone).....GOD BLESS...

Edited by jimjum12

Hello!

I began counting upwards with "Amazing" in 1985 around issue #265, I was 17 years old.

I think it was around 1989 when I started to get serious about back issues and began buying as much as I could afford to add to my "Amazing" run. I kept at it until around 1995.

The early Ditko issues were not a primary focus but I was able to snag a handful of low grades for about $25 and under during that time.

Here is what I am missing:

1-18

Hello!

I began counting upwards with "Amazing" in 1985 around issue #265, I was 17 years old.

I think it was around 1989 when I started to get serious about back issues and began buying as much as I could afford to add to my "Amazing" run. I kept at it until around 1995.

The early Ditko issues were not a primary focus but I was able to snag a handful of low grades for about $25 and under during that time.

1-18

Only 42 to go, matchstick johnny! :headbang:

Edited by cloudofwit

Hello!

1-18

great job- i need 8 more for my run. 15,20,23,28,39,50,69 and 77. I have multiples of 5,11,13,26,31,38 and 44 if anyone wants to trade.

The color strike on the 21 is as good as it gets....and that 31 is always tough to find without a miswrap. I don't think I'd be in a big rush to let the 31 go. GOD BLESS....

I have been a bit busy the last few weeks...

Closing in on finishing this set and then after that I may upgrade a couple of them:

This is what I have picked up:

dcafbddd.jpg

9ccd5fa1.jpg

cd3b8756.jpg

74e5320d.jpg

2cb15464.jpg

668e60e6.jpg

The two moderns were thrown in as I have been looking for a 9.8 of issue 441 (Final Issue before they renumbered) for awhile and and waited for a cheap 9.8 of the first Iron Spider costume...

A few more to go...