• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

All I know about spiderman is he kills the green goblin in one book and mary jane dies in another and something about the non comics code book where spider take drugs like issue 99 or something.  I just want to know why my brother picked these 2 books to save beyond the good condition...  Yes I'm too lazy to open Overstreet.

OK thanks, so they are just average story books.  Covers look nice though.

Edited by Karl Liebl

You are a little mixed up. Green goblin Norman Osborn is killed in asm 122. Mj does not die. Gwen Stacy is the one who dies in 121. And the drug issues was 3 issues in the late 90s before issue 100. And they where without comic code as they didn' approve of the Harry Osborn drug story.

On 10/28/2018 at 2:19 PM, Karl Liebl said:

I have no clue about Spider Man books but I have 3.  I am wondering about 39 and 40... were these big story arc books?

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f0.jpg.e741ecd294ee2165854014f58145e07d.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_6f1.jpg.75fb7e9877713ed97d635f336f879dcf.jpg

Two of my absolute favourite Spidey books. What is the third issue you mentioned you have?

Edited by JohnH19

7 hours ago, SECollector said:

Thanks, they are nice copies indeed. The Romita run includes most probably my top 5 favourite covers of all time Spideys. And the characters and stories really took off, I love them.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again; Romita issues 39 to 56 will always be my favourite run of comic books. Pure magic.

9 hours ago, SECollector said:

I filled two holes today :banana: Previously graded but nowadays in a mylar (I didn't crack them out myself - I don't think I would dare anyway)

ASM-51.thumb.png.dd03d9e0e74cbdbf6227985a8f2949c9.png

ASM-54.thumb.png.fc7d04eeece9c5adef86c8bfb8c2b39d.png

Issue 54 was the first 12 cent Spidey I bought off a spinner rack back in the day. My first Spidey, actually  my first Marvel book, was King Size Special #4.

On 10/28/2018 at 5:25 PM, KirbyJack said:

That’s a beautiful brace of books!

39 and 40 are both minor keys; good Gobbie story and begin Romita’s run.

I wouldn't call them minor keys.   They're pretty major IMO.  Goblin origin and identity revealed.   Goblin let's Spidey know he's figured out his identity.   Super important books.  And 39 is one of the all-time classic covers.   Beginning of the Romita run (as you noted).  So much goodness going on with these 2 books.  

Nice copies, Karl.  

2 hours ago, chrisco37 said:

I wouldn't call them minor keys.   They're pretty major IMO.  Goblin origin and identity revealed.   Goblin let's Spidey know he's figured out his identity.   Super important books.  And 39 is one of the all-time classic covers.   Beginning of the Romita run (as you noted).  So much goodness going on with these 2 books.  

Nice copies, Karl.  

Agreed ... although, especially when it comes to Spidey books (almost all of which are among the best and most highly sought-after in the hobby), describing keys as "minor" or "major" gets pretty relative.  I interpreted the OP's question as more "how much is my comic worth" as opposed to "how important is the story" ... in that context, these books are valued at least a tier below, say, ASM #50 or most of ASM #1-15.  I'm guessing KJ was just trying to say "you've got some great books there" without sounding like "ZOMG YOU JUST HIT THE JACKPOT" (pun intended).

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

first one i grabbed off a spinner, and chosen more so for the yella guy than the spider [i grabbed dd 3 off the same rack].  but, after reading, the webspinner became no. 1, and has remainded so over the following 50+ years.

asm16.jpg

Are you saying this is the actual copy you bought all those years ago?  If so, all the more impressive.