• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

23 hours ago, porcupine48 said:

Sure am glad I picked this up a long time ago these days :cloud9:My fave Spidey baddy.

!!!!!0.jpg

Mysterio is undeniably cool. Naturally, The Sandman is my sentimental favorite Spider-villain (FF), but I have always been weirdly taken with ASM 15.

9 hours ago, Martin Sinescu said:

Funny, I think the drug issues emphatically establish the BA beginning for Spidey. Very Bronze/70's type of vibe dealing with social issues of several sorts (one of the main hallmarks of the new age). I think Morbius coming shortly after just reinforces it with another of the era's main themes: the shift toward horror. 121 and 122 are exceptional issues, perhaps my two favorite spidey books, but I wouldn't say they started the age, probably the pinnacle of it. I think too many people want to say it started the age for sentimental reasons, as if the story isn't important enough on its own.

It had felt when Stan turned over the writing duties to Roy Thomas with #101, that marked the transition of a new age in Spidey.  But you make a convincing argument that the drug issues could have represented that change, similar to Adams with the GL run

Edited by mosconi

9 hours ago, mosconi said:

It had felt when Stan turned over the writing duties to Roy Thomas with #101, that marked the transition of a new age in Spidey.  But you make a convincing argument that the drug issues could have represented that change, similar to Adams with the GL run

If I remember correctly, there's also a fairly overt bit of editorial writing in that issue where Stan talks about a new age of Marvel. Can't remember if it was in the letters column or just in his soapbox, but it seems like the directional shift had already taken root and Stan was straight-up telling everyone that blatant change was happening in the books. I'll see if I can scan that content when I get home (the cover's falling off my copy so it won't hurt anything).

Sorry, Photoshop wants nothing to do with me tonight, so I'm just going to put the raw scans here. These are all from issue 96. Hope they're not too big but still readable. Click on them if you're curious. Stan's Soapbox deals a good bit with the change in focus from not just writing simplistic super hero stories to more socially relevant issues to stimulate change and the letters column deals with reader responses to issue 92 and also has some pertinent commentary along the same lines. And then there's the famous page where Norman gets some back-talk from the younger generation. Man, I really love this arc. I need to skip ahead a few issues and read the letters column to see what readers thought of 96.

ASM 96 StansSoapbox001.jpg

ASM 96 Letters001.jpg

ASM 96 interior001.jpg

Edited by Martin Sinescu

7 hours ago, mosconi said:

Very interesting, you can definitely feel the change at Marvel going on with this issue...

CRAZY-PILLS.jpg

In the history of history, there has never been anyone who enjoyed looking up people's nostrils like Gil Kane.  Usually you only get one pair per panel -- three might be his all-time record.