• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

23 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

some say when price jumped from 12 to 15c, others [me included] feel like silver ended 12/69.   '70's books just seem like bronze to me.

Those are two popular dividing lines, and they're both pretty easy to keep straight.  Among the two, I prefer yours because I think July 1969 is too early.  X-Men #58 has a 15-cent cover price and to me that is definitely (late) Silver Age not Bronze Age.

But to your point about what books "seem like bronze," I would say Kirby's departure (FF #102 has a cover date of September 1970) is probably the single biggest catalyst for the change in the "feel" of the Marvel books.

The 25% increase from 12 to 15 cents seriously affected my love for comic books. I was only ten years old but it wasn't so much the 3 cents as it made comic books feel different to me. Comic books had always been 12 cents since I started collecting in 1965 and four years is forever when you're ages six to ten. Comic books were supposed to cost 12 cents!

The two month 15-25-20 cent circus in 1971 pretty well killed the hobby for me back then. I still bought Thor and The Avengers for another year but my heart wasn't in it anymore. I think the only comic related items I bought until I got back into the hobby in 1992 were the three ASM reprint pocket books that came out in the late 70s.