• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,436 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, piper said:

I got excited for a moment thinking you had completed your run! lol

Haha, unfortunately still searching for that elusive ASM7.  No luck with my WTB thread.  I've also tried pressing a CBCS 4.5 WP and crossing it over that didn't work out.  Also tried buying a 5.5 (to send in for a downgrade) but the owner wouldn't sell.  Hopefully one of these days SOON a copy will pop up(thumbsu

14 minutes ago, DST said:

Haha, unfortunately still searching for that elusive ASM7.  No luck with my WTB thread.  I've also tried pressing a CBCS 4.5 WP and crossing it over that didn't work out.  Also tried buying a 5.5 (to send in for a downgrade) but the owner wouldn't sell.  Hopefully one of these days SOON a copy will pop up(thumbsu

Ahhhh.  So that’s why some of your 5.0’s look like they are in better shape than typical comics in that grade.  Did CGC give you a hard time when you asked them to downgrade a comic?

14 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

Ahhhh.  So that’s why some of your 5.0’s look like they are in better shape than typical comics in that grade.  Did CGC give you a hard time when you asked them to downgrade a comic?

I didn't get a chance because the owner wouldn't sell the book.  I've inquired in the past and in general they said they wouldn't, but if I sent them a specific copy to look at and asked what it would take to downgrade from a 5.5 to a 5.0 maybe they'll give me an answer lol

Edited by DST

41 minutes ago, MGsimba77 said:

lol....you mean you would actually send in a 5.5 for a downgrade???...really? Even if it's a white pager and wouldn't be sure it stays a WP? That's some heavy OCD man!

I'm on DST's side on this. I had a chance to buy a Showcase #35 CGC 7.5 for less money than I spent on the same book CGC 7.0. I now have Showcase #34 - #36 plus Atom #1 in CGC 7.0. Yes, it doesn't make sense, but, for some of us, it's important to find order among the chaos. I have BatB #34 in CGC 7.0. I am now looking for BatB #35 - #36 in CGC 7.0. I have seen grades above and below 7.0, but I plan on following through on CGC 7.0 only. I have Hawkman #1 in CGC 7.5, so I may have to downgrade that book at some point in the future.

Just now, piper said:

Your eyes might bulge from the chaotic grades and page qualities for my ASM 1-50 run then. I chose books based on what I could afford at the time and what was readily available.

@piperI have only managed to do this with two sets of books. The first four Atom issues in CGC 7.0, and FF #48 - #50 in CGC 6.5. If you look at my displays of ASM #1 - #11 or FF #1 - #10, you will see that they look mostly like what you have.

6 minutes ago, Math Teacher said:

I'm on DST's side on this. I had a chance to buy a Showcase #35 CGC 7.5 for less money than I spent on the same book CGC 7.0. I now have Showcase #34 - #36 plus Atom #1 in CGC 7.0. Yes, it doesn't make sense, but, for some of us, it's important to find order among the chaos. I have BatB #34 in CGC 7.0. I am now looking for BatB #35 - #36 in CGC 7.0. I have seen grades above and below 7.0, but I plan on following through on CGC 7.0 only. I have Hawkman #1 in CGC 7.5, so I may have to downgrade that book at some point in the future.

Oh yeah I agree! I totally get it as I'm much the same way. There are circumstances where I can envision myself paying more for a certain book that's chronically miswraped if it was a lower grade but a great looking copy. 

I just found the desire for cgc to downgrade a bit unique. I don't think I ever heard of that. But anyway I can certainly relate to being bothered by details. It comes with the territory. 

14 minutes ago, DST said:

When I’ve been searching for a book for over a year and have never actually seen the book I’m looking for in the grade with the page quality I’m looking for, yeah... I’m willing to take some outside the box chances.  Nothing to lose; if it doesn’t work out I just resell it.  And another thing, wanting a downgrade has nothing to do with OCD.  Collecting strictly white pages does for sure, but the linear 5.0 run I’m putting together is just a fun project it wasn’t born out of OCD.  When I’ve already come this far, maybe this picture will help you understand why I’d want to downgrade a 5.5 when I only need 1 more book to complete a full 1-20 run (plus AF15 and annual 1) in the same grade and page quality.

E75D2976-E850-411A-AEBE-8FC94745E09B.thumb.jpeg.7a555956db3c54de9c3fa4c6a7eed478.jpeg

On another note, probably not the best idea to criticize the way someone chooses to collect.  Next time I’d keep those thoughts to yourself.  Or if you’re so baffled by the concept, PM me instead.  There’s plenty of remarks I could make about your books, even in high grade, but I instead choose to just appreciate that other people are proud of their books and want to show them off and that’s what a forum space like this is all about.

Sorry.  I wasn’t judging.  I think your collection is awesome 

11 minutes ago, DST said:

When I’ve been searching for a book for over a year and have never actually seen the book I’m looking for in the grade with the page quality I’m looking for, yeah... I’m willing to take some outside the box chances.  Nothing to lose; if it doesn’t work out I just resell it.  And another thing, wanting a downgrade has nothing to do with OCD.  Collecting strictly white pages does for sure, but the linear 5.0 run I’m putting together is just a fun project it wasn’t born out of OCD.  Maybe this picture will help you understand why I’d want to downgrade a 5.5 when I only need 1 more book to complete a full 1-20 run (plus AF15 and annual 1) in the same grade and page quality.

E75D2976-E850-411A-AEBE-8FC94745E09B.thumb.jpeg.7a555956db3c54de9c3fa4c6a7eed478.jpeg

On another note, probably not the best idea to criticize the way someone chooses to collect.  Next time I’d keep those thoughts to yourself.  Or if you’re so baffled by the concept, PM me instead.  There’s plenty of remarks I could make about your books even in high grade, but I instead choose to just appreciate that other people are proud of their books and want to show them off and that’s what a forum space like this is all about.

it really is an impressive feat what you've done here dave. i look forward to the day you finally complete this project! who knew asm7 was so tough in mid-grade with the white pages!?

4 minutes ago, www.alexgross.com said:

it really is an impressive feat what you've done here dave. i look forward to the day you finally complete this project! who knew asm7 was so tough in mid-grade with the white pages!?

My ASM 7 in 5.0 is off white to white pages. I suppose it would be unlikely to get a bump to white pages...

1 hour ago, DST said:

When I’ve been searching for a book for over a year and have never actually seen the book I’m looking for in the grade with the page quality I’m looking for, yeah... I’m willing to take some outside the box chances.  Nothing to lose; if it doesn’t work out I just resell it.  And another thing, wanting a downgrade has nothing to do with OCD.  Collecting strictly white pages does for sure, but the linear 5.0 run I’m putting together is just a fun project it wasn’t born out of OCD.  When I’ve already come this far, maybe this picture will help you understand why I’d want to downgrade a 5.5 when I only need 1 more book to complete a full 1-20 run (plus AF15 and annual 1) in the same grade and page quality.

Just out of curiosity, how did this project start? Was this grade and PQ in your plan from the get-go, or did you suddenly notice that you had 4 - 5 books in this grade and PQ, and then decide that you wanted ASM #1 - #20 to be alike?

15 hours ago, DST said:

On another note, probably not the best idea to openly criticize the way someone chooses to collect.  Next time I’d keep those thoughts to yourself.  Or if you’re so baffled by the concept, PM me instead.  There’s plenty of remarks I could make about your books, even in high grade, but I instead choose to respect that people collect for different reasons and I appreciate when other people are proud of their books and want to show them off and that’s what a forum space like this is all about (or at least should be).

That's quite an incredible accomplishment so far Dave!  Not only all in the same grade and PQ but also all in the same newer CGC cases!  Coming from a fellow white page collector, I know the amount of effort and frustration involved searching and acquiring some of these Spidey books in specific grades.  I'm still looking for certain issues to complete my run and the fun of the hunt and challenge makes it all worthwhile for me...