• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
37 37

14,430 posts in this topic

5 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

@DSTand I have been involved in a trade that <might> lead to him completing his goal of having Spider-Man issues #1 - #20 plus in CGC 5.0 White pages. DST is the mastermind of this transaction, so I will let him tell the story if he so chooses.

Anyway, I ended up trading my ASM #7 CGC 5.0 plus cash to get this upgrade, ASM #7 CGC 6.0.

If this all works out (as I truly hope it will), this will be a perfect example of a win-win scenario!

ASM7.thumb.jpg.87a6b5bb3b2f8fa652864f9ad96ff181.jpg

:applause:

6 hours ago, Math Teacher said:

@DSTand I have been involved in a trade that <might> lead to him completing his goal of having Spider-Man issues #1 - #20 plus in CGC 5.0 White pages. DST is the mastermind of this transaction, so I will let him tell the story if he so chooses.

Anyway, I ended up trading my ASM #7 CGC 5.0 plus cash to get this upgrade, ASM #7 CGC 6.0.

If this all works out (as I truly hope it will), this will be a perfect example of a win-win scenario!

ASM7.thumb.jpg.87a6b5bb3b2f8fa652864f9ad96ff181.jpg

Mine was totally going to come back 5 0 WP! Just has to wait a few more months :sumo:

Nice trade!

I'm picking up my first 4-figure ASM this week... Amazing Spider-Man #4. Makes me dizzy thinking about it. Probably a 3.0 or so. Very excited to get it in the mail sometime next week :whee:

21 hours ago, BoogieWoogie said:

Mine was totally going to come back 5 0 WP! Just has to wait a few more months :sumo:

Nice trade!

I'm picking up my first 4-figure ASM this week... Amazing Spider-Man #4. Makes me dizzy thinking about it. Probably a 3.0 or so. Very excited to get it in the mail sometime next week :whee:

So this sure didn't take long. I'm purchasing ASM #4 on Thursday, which will be my first time spending over $1,000 on a single book, and just earlier today... I came up on a strong lead for a local ASM #1. 2nd appearance of Spider-Man. 1st monthly title. 1st CHAMELEON! I've entered a deal in principle to pick it up. We'll see what happens. I have had leads fall through before and this one is also in the way-too-good-to-be-true range. Though this one will be much, much, much more expensive than ASM #4 if it's unrestored as the dealer says it could be a high grade raw ASM #1 for under $10k. The price I'm paying would be a good price for a 5.0 and I think this book is a 7.0 if the grader just found out his wife was sleeping with his brother that morning. He seemed surprised by my initial offer... I may have offered too much he might be researching it now lol 

I want to get psyched up but a lead on an AF15 dried up on me earlier this year. I'm buying a scanner tomorrow and selling damn near everything in my collection to raise as much of the amount as I can in a hurry but I'm going to keep my cool. Going to go meditate right now. If this deal evaporates another will arise. They always do. :cool:

So was your previous copy already graded 5.0 with white pages, or does DST have to send it in?

On 4/19/2021 at 3:50 PM, Math Teacher said:

13 minutes ago, Jasonmorris1000000 said:

So was your previous copy already graded 5.0 with white pages, or does DST have to send it in?

I hope that @DSTis OK with me telling the particulars of this transaction.

DST found a person who owned an ASM #7 CGC 4.5 with white pages. DST wanted to purchase this book, hoping that by getting it cleaned and pressed, it might earn a grade of 5.0. Said person didn't want to sell the book straight away; he would only let it go if DST would get him an ASM #7 in a better grade than 4.5.

This next part is kind of hazy to me. I believe that DST and I had been discussing his collecting goal. DST had offered me $700 for my 5.0, but I had just upgraded from a low grade, and I wasn't ready to sell. Sometime after that, DST found a 6.0 for approximately $900. So I sent DST my 5.0 plus $200, and he sent me the 6.0. Then DST sent the 5.0 to the seller in the previous paragraph, and the seller above sent DST his 4.5 with white pages. I believe that this 4.5 is currently at CGC. I'm not sure if DST had it cleaned/pressed before sending it to CGC.

So, to sum this up, I upgraded from a 5.0 to a 6.0 for $200, which is a very good deal. DST has a 4.5 white pages book that he hopes can be improved to a 5.0, which is the last book he needs to complete his 5.0 white pages collection.

One thing that I learned through this transaction is that DST is very patient and very dedicated in trying to complete his run, which I find to be very admirable. Also, DST is a very nice person. So, if you are on Instagram and you see DST selling a book, feel free to buy it with confidence.

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

So it sounds like your 5.0 was not WP.  Dave is still 6 months away from finding out if he's got a 5.0 WP.

No, my copy was OW-W. The other person in the transaction had a 4.5 W. Before DST could receive this 4.5, he had to provide this person with a better copy. DST bought a 6.0, and then traded it for my 5.0 plus cash. DST then sent this 5.0 to the other person, and received the 4.5 W book. DST is having it graded using the WalkThrough tier, which means it will be returned earlier than six months.

That is awful to hear about losing his collection in a fire. Mine is getting to the point where I'm going to need to start carrying special, separate insurance for it. Recommendations welcome on that.

But man his collection must've been incredible for THAT to be his backup collection. And a high grade AF15 lost to the sands of time forever... people forget that the population of these books is pretty much always dwindling, even if very slowly for books like AF15. Life happens no matter what.