• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Amazing Spider-Man Collecting Thread!
38 38

14,405 posts in this topic

16 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

As you said, nobody has a crystal ball so in terms of future investment no one can tell you for sure which books will raise most in value in the next years.

As for which books you should prioritize, the answer is easy: buy the books you like the most (for art, cover, story, whatever) first. This way, you will be happy even if they don't rise in value.

Good advice in theory...but picking favorites between early ASMs is tough...perhaps even tougher than picking your favorite child, lol 

33 minutes ago, web_spinner said:

or better to try and find the grades I want? 

You ask THIS despite what has happened the last year!   Where have you been.   :baiting: If you think the current ride up will continue, being picky (and consequently delaying your purchases of ANY of those books) will hurt your wallet in the long run.  A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as I often say around here.  You can always plan to upgrade later.  2c  As for prioritizing, you can pretty much just go in issue # order!  Except I would put Annual 1 before 11 and 26.  

That is an impressive run you have there.  Good luck with your remaining want list!  

Ya with not knowing how things will go once enough folks are vaccinated and countries say it's over. Now Ya older stuff rarely go down and your right that prices been going up I don't see that stopping. Since your looking for lower grade stuff. I would suggest going for as many later ones now which shouldn't break the bank. And leave the earlier ones to later.

4 hours ago, Pantodude said:

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, as I often say around here.  You can always plan to upgrade later.  2c

I totally agree with this, and saw that you just purchased the Annual #1...congrats!

If prices go up, you have a lower-grade copy that's also gone up in value that you can sell to make upgrading less painful.

If prices go down you can upgrade for less and still make some money back from your lower-grade copy.

It feels like a win-win, provided you have the funds to buy the books you want now...good luck!

15 hours ago, web_spinner said:

Hey guys,

Looking for a little advice...

I'm only a handful of issues away from a complete run of ASM #1 - current issue (#865 as of this time of writing). 

The last few issues that remain include some big ones; #2-6, 9, 11, 26, and Annual #1. 

My collection is a reader run, particularly for the early issues, around 1.8 - 5.0 with the earlier/more valuable ones being lower grade, and ideally wanting to have them around 2.0-3.0 depending on cost. 

These all seem to be hitting all time highs...maybe due to pandemic money/downtime but I'm sure they won't return to pre-pandemic levels (they never seem to go all the way back). 

Now I realize no one here has a crystal ball (right?) but my questions for you guys are...

With vaccine rollout the world slowly appears to being going back to normal...should I wait this out and see if things cool down or at least level off a little at this point? 

Of the remaining issues I need are there any I should prioritize? 

In some cases I have a chance to grab some lower grade copied than I would like (for example, a 0.5 annual #1 for around $340.00 USD, cover detached and no back cover). 

Should I just grab what I can get for now and perhaps look at upgrading later...or better to try and find the grades I want? 

Any FYI, I'd never wrack up a credit card...just spending what extra money I'm comfortable with and maybe even selling some non-Spidey PC books to put towards the run. 

Any advice is appreciated. 

The market is nutty right now and, imo, I don’t think the pricing can hold.  Some books are bound to go back down on many books/titles.

But ASM is the flagship Marvel title, so I don’t think that the prices plummet in a correction.  They may drop a little in a correction.  If you plan on holding long term, it will work out for you.  I have quite a few books that I bought at “top market” at the time and, even if you “erase” the current craziness, I have done very well on.  Some books I paid “Gpa High” for in the past were AF15, ASM13, 15, 20.  Those all worked out very well.

I have also been working on my Spidey run during this current market.  I’ve spent a lot.  I’m not planning to sell these books anytime soon.  So, even if there is an adjustment, by the time I do decide to sell, I’ll have done well on the books.

If you’re buying to flip, you could get burned.  If you’re buying to hold long term, you’ll be just fine.

3 minutes ago, pickycollector said:

asm 19.jpg

Ditko created some great ASM covers. This is one of my favourites.

7 minutes ago, ickwinzs said:

Heres a question, I am sitting here scanning all my asm's that don't have a bar code. So at which issue does the silver age size stop and the books get to a more modern size?

I have made it to 140

They get smaller with #141 and up

7 minutes ago, ickwinzs said:

Heres a question, I am sitting here scanning all my asm's that don't have a bar code. So at which issue does the silver age size stop and the books get to a more modern size?

I have made it to 140

Happy to answer that!

Marvel books got slightly smaller ("current" size instead of "Silver Age" size) in February 1975.  The first "current" size ASM issue is #141.  What a strange coincidence that you asked this question just as you got to #140, the last Silver Age size book in the run!

Just now, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Happy to answer that!

Marvel books got slightly smaller ("current" size instead of "Silver Age" size) in February 1975.  The first "current" size ASM issue is #141.  What a strange coincidence that you asked this question just as you got to #140, the last Silver Age size book in the run!

Yeah that is odd! My scanner needed a break and its seemed like a good stopping point, scanning all my books for insurance, now I just need to get my scans to someone that can grade em close enough for replacements. Oh yeah,  they are all 9.8....