• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,625 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I know that in all likelihood I saw a comic book before this. In some Doctor's waiting room or barbershop; somewhere. Had to have, right?

But this is the first one I remember. I was four (!) and was being watched by our great friends and neighbors, the Smiths. Their eldest son collected comics, and had a room just filled with awesome stuff. It was strictly off-limits, of course, and Jeff was terrifying, but I snuck in anyway. I toured the room, absorbing all the coolness. NFL stickers (much rarer back then), WWII and SeaBees stuff, a trombone, wild posters. But most prominently, enshrined in a place of honor on a music stand, Fantastic Four #93. I was transfixed!

I guess I still am. 

from modest beginnings....

20 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

lucky 13!  this is one i'm good not to upgrade, as the ped is worth the .5 [and more] to me.

ff13-1.jpg

The Pacific Coast FF run is terrific.  Here's the original listing of the oldest part of the run from the Pacific Comic Exchange website in May, 1999.  The grades are legit, and the prices will make a grown collector of today weep:

PCFFlist.JPG.0c493bc751417f8b5614ba154d1884e1.JPG

Edited by namisgr

On 12/13/2018 at 11:25 AM, Straw-Man said:

lucky 13!  this is one i'm good not to upgrade, as the ped is worth the .5 [and more] to me.

ff13-1.jpg

one of the toughest covers to find in high grade. This is gorgeous. I guess its the gray background makes it look washed out to  start with.

Edited by bondtrader54
was incomplete.

7 hours ago, bondtrader54 said:

I guess its the gray background makes it look washed out to  start with.

I think it’s more like a subtle blue.

Jimjum12 (I think) has a really pretty one, like Straw’s. Mine’s ok , but badly Marvel chipped.

Edited by KirbyJack

28 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

kj, my copy is jimbo's old one; i know he loves the issue, and may well have gotten his his hands on another purty one since our deal.

I picked up a tightly graded CGC 6.5 from Blazing Bob a while back as well as a nice presenter with a back cover stain from Rick @capt_comics ….. which is the least number of copies I've had in a while. Metro has the OA splash from this issue where the Watcher first appears..... they used to have it displayed in their showroom restroom ….. watching …… :roflmao: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

A couple of pedigree copies I have scans of, with different color strikes.  The Northland copy sports a green/qualified label, deep yellow inks, and the natural look of being unpressed - the pages don't stick out and the top overhang has a bit of gentle bending:

FF13NLsale.thumb.jpg.34e6955bee1372b55146bbfdaf005fad.jpg

The Don and Maggie copy has stronger blues:

FF13ped.thumb.jpg.0af426cdb19c6ed033d426516074ccc3.jpg

Edited by namisgr

On 12/11/2018 at 2:14 PM, Straw-Man said:

tks, y'all.  i love brown covers--so atypical in funny books.  like here...

ff40.jpg

Agreed on the brown covers (gray ones too #13). #50 is king of the brown covers though with that awesome green accent in the top left box. :cloud9: #11 is a choice issue as well with two stories inside. 

Always love visiting this thread. Great books. Thanks for sharing!