• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,617 posts in this topic

21 hours ago, jimjum12 said:

Part cash/ Part trade for this one at a recent show..... mid grade but one of my favorite issues :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

FF 7 (2).jpg

I still remember the awe when I read Kurrgo's story for the first time. I told myself: this is different, somewhat simpler, but it echoed science fiction which I perceived as "classic" (I was about 11 and I had already peeked at a few things borrowed from my father, and some also scared me like the Quatermass trilogy, which of course was British but the "sense of wonder" was there).
That was probably where I realized how much the FF were "contemporary", new, fresh, and at the same time echoing "classic" mainstream science fiction, which of course I would have fully discovered years later (I was 17 when I first saw "The Forbidden Planet", and I immediately thought: hey, the "Krel" probably have something to do with the "Kree"). :)

Edited by vaillant

1 minute ago, KirbyJack said:

I also see Forbidden Planet in FF 7; the walk thru the Krel computers and their immensity reminds me of that cool splash page that shows the FF falling thru the cityscape.

Right! I was thinking about this as well just after I posted my comment. The "sense of wonder" (tinged of a sinister flavor) permeating Forbidden Planet reminds of Edmond Hamilton and the like, from classic american mainstream science fiction novels. Kurrgo has that "familiar yet otherwordly" feeling belonging to that unforgettable and awesome period. :)

34 minutes ago, Bomber-Bob said:

Sid's Luncheonette Copy , anybody remember these ? Although it is 'only' an 8.0, the book was never pressed. Note the plump spine and the fact that the right edge pages do not fan out, they actually align with the cover. 

This is a Sid's Luncheonette copy as well, which I bought when Harry first brought his Marvels to market at the New York Comic Con.  A gorgeous book missing a Marvel chip:

FF9cgc.thumb.jpg.6a9eee0bcdeb3ade31ae2e85dbe7d307.jpg

1 hour ago, namisgr said:

This is a Sid's Luncheonette copy as well, which I bought when Harry first brought his Marvels to market at the New York Comic Con.  A gorgeous book missing a Marvel chip:

FF9cgc.thumb.jpg.6a9eee0bcdeb3ade31ae2e85dbe7d307.jpg

Look at the cert numbers on our two Sid's books, they were in the same submission !

3 hours ago, Bomber-Bob said:

For once, I can nudge out Straw on a cool comic !!

FantasticFour#23.jpg

For once I may be able to nudge you Bob! But it's not really as cool...  Need to send it in and see what happens I guess...

1799778793_8kQzRLMXRkWoougeFgduw_thumb_7a1.jpg.9a0fd146f9232f4e0e402badce532674.jpg

You can see that those squashed out pages have saved me from years of marvel chipping!  But, no I don't think it has been pressed yet, at least not since 1978...

Edited by Karl Liebl

On 12/22/2018 at 8:47 AM, jimjum12 said:

Part cash/ Part trade for this one at a recent show..... mid grade but one of my favorite issues :cloud9: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

FF 7 (2).jpg

Amazing looking books everyone. 

Jimbo, I think I saw this copy in a photo in The Leaders Con report.. Glad to see you grabbed it. 

Such a great far out SciFi story in this one as well! The FF always has that cosmic edge compared to the other titles. I also believe the splash from this issue is the art used to create the Third Eye black light poster. Anyone on here have the poster?