• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Don't have time to look right now but ... are #72 and #74 the only books in the Kirby run that don't have any of the actual FF on the cover?  They basically look like Surfer solo books, except for the title and the upper left corner.

I think so. 

We now live in a world where Fantastic Four annual 6 is on the collective collecting radar. Anybody actively looking for the “green” variant? It’s not super rare, and I would have thought that the new popularity would generate some discussion. Mine is bottom right.

C50589B6-F839-4B23-A0B4-8066A642A56A.thumb.jpeg.934c3e754f16c035c003349525891225.jpeg

While I'm at it, I love the cover to FF #2 but now that I look at it, it's pretty comical to imagine the house that this image is depicting.

It's extremely common on Silver Age comics covers, particularly Kirby covers, to see the action playing out on what appears to be a wide-open, featureless plain that leads directly to a densely-populated skyline of tall buildings.  There are too many covers to name like this.  But here we have the same idea playing out indoors, with an enormous empty room that completely lacks furniture.  Where is the table, shelf, or mantle where Sue got that vase?

The room also features 50-foot ceilings, a large opening in the wall that doesn't actually contain a window, and four extremely oddly-placed picture frames that appear to be 3"x5", if that.

But don't get me wrong, it works!

:bigsmile:  "Where should we fight the Skrulls, Reed?" 

"How about that recently abandoned ballroom on 6th where Charlotte Gilman wrote 'The Yellow Wallpaper'?"

"Perfect!  I'll bring a few photos to put up before it gets rockin'..."