• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

I have been extremely  fortunate  to  have been  able to find  all the books  I have.  I have the Mega keys.  and missing a  few smaller keys  at  this point.  I am  hoping to complete the entire run within the next few years.  I have 74  out of the 161  issues and 2 of the 3 annuals.

8 minutes ago, BrianR said:

I was  very fortunate this week and was able to fill in a chunk  of early issues from a long time collector in Mexico.  Issues  1-16  follow  FF  in the U.S.  Starting with issue 17  they  integrated Strange Tales  with the human Torch. 

20190927_170445.thumb.jpg.c7dcedb228b276c5412a43db54b7596d.jpg

Very nice!One of my all timers,no matter the language:cloud9:

I'm not sure if it's just FF you're concentrating on,but have you checked out this thread?Sadly many of the old photos are gone,but there's some FFs in there.People would probably enjoy seeing your books there too!

5 minutes ago, BrianR said:

I have been extremely  fortunate  to  have been  able to find  all the books  I have.  I have the Mega keys.  and missing a  few smaller keys  at  this point.  I am  hoping to complete the entire run within the next few years.  I have 74  out of the 161  issues and 2 of the 3 annuals.

Congratulations!I've never seen the annuals.

1 minute ago, porcupine48 said:

Very nice!One of my all timers,no matter the language:cloud9:

I'm not sure if it's just FF you're concentrating on,but have you checked out this thread?Sadly many of the old photos are gone,but there's some FFs in there.People would probably enjoy seeing your books there too!

I  mainly am focusing on FF  and Kirby Westerns.  I do  have other keys  Like DD 1-3  etc,  Avengers 1  Captain America 100 and more  I have a few hundred  foreign books  at this point.  There  are  several  grails  FF 1    which I have is probably the most expensive and most sought after Mexican Marvel,  5  is a huge Key  and issues 4 and 7 are the rarest  with 4  being extremely sought after this is the first copy to surface in years

5 minutes ago, porcupine48 said:

Congratulations!I've never seen the annuals.

2  is  pretty common  which I have  I just picked up 3  which is the first copy  I have ever  seen.  I have seen a 1-2 copies of issue 1.  My  3  is in this picture from the books I bought from the collection as a lot

20190927_172539.jpg

I  have  9  and 14  coming in  next  week  from this same collection. Once I get them I will take a  group  shot.  I am just missing 6 and 7  from the first 20 issues.  It took a lot of help from  various  collectors who  have connections all over the world.

3 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

Really attractive copy!

Thank you , it has some marvel chipping but the colors were deep and really liked the way it presented  I was looking at 3 different copies , a 5.0, this 5.5 and a 6.0. I liked the 6.0 but the book had turned really brown, especially the back cover.  The 6.0 didn’t have chipping but I liked the way this one looked overall so i bought the book and not the grade. It was tough but i couldn’t turn down these bright colors. I’m very happy to have it.  

7 hours ago, Lamborghinikid said:

Thank you , it has some marvel chipping but the colors were deep and really liked the way it presented  I was looking at 3 different copies , a 5.0, this 5.5 and a 6.0. I liked the 6.0 but the book had turned really brown, especially the back cover.  The 6.0 didn’t have chipping but I liked the way this one looked overall so i bought the book and not the grade. It was tough but i couldn’t turn down these bright colors. I’m very happy to have it.  

IMHO, chipping tends to detract much more from a dark cover (like AF 15) than a light cover like FF 1.  I don't think the chipping on yours is a distraction at all.  The colors are great and the white background is really nice -- that tends to be the first thing I notice on an FF 1.  This is a super nice copy, you should be really happy with it!

On 9/26/2019 at 2:55 PM, First Upgrade said:

apologize in advance...what does one mean when they say, "this book has been the victim of a book doctor"?

I mean someone who has worked on the book to artificially improve its grade, done in such a way that it escapes CGC scrutiny and still gets a blue label. The golden age boards are full of “before and after” examples, and I myself have spent >$50k on a single book, only to discover on the boards that it had been “doctored” despite the blue label. For instance, check out the thread https://www.cgccomics.com/boards/topic/457558-marvel-1/page/11/?tab=comments#comment-10872626

This thread details the backroom shenanigans on the 9.4 Marvel 1 in the upcoming Heritage auction. The Marvel 1 is a much bigger book, but this process is not limited to only the high dollar books. 

when I got this FF3 at such a good price I was suspicious for a minute there. My joy was momentarily tempered by a good old fashioned bout of paranoia!

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost