• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

8 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

lawd, how many times as a kid did i revel in the big fight?  just wonderful. 

it looks undergraded, kj.

Yep, it was a donnybrook!

and Thank you, I agree. I got it from HighGradeComics, and was very pleased when it showed up!

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

The Marvel Universe continues to take shape!

08F03FAE-067F-4EDD-9D2A-572C4BC9902A.thumb.jpeg.4befd5d3d4e2bc0bafe6d067f0cc0a02.jpeg

It's funny how, generally speaking, they never did crossovers within a shared book.  If you think about it, a modified version of this story could have been done as a full-length Strange Tales issue, if they wanted.

(To be clear, placing the Namor / Sue / Reed triangle at the center definitely makes this an FF story.  But you know what I mean.)

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

I get you. But I think the idea here was to create interest for the Sub-Mariner feature that was about to displace Giant-Man in Astonish. FF and ASM were the center of The Marvel Universe at the time; more eyeballs! They pumped up Hulk’s feature just prior, and tried to increase readership in the struggling X-Men. 

Or maybe they just knew that guest stars were awesome, and there wasn’t room in a split book to do it justice.

1 hour ago, KirbyJack said:

I get you. But I think the idea here was to create interest for the Sub-Mariner feature that was about to displace Giant-Man in Astonish. FF and ASM were the center of The Marvel Universe at the time; more eyeballs! They pumped up Hulk’s feature just prior, and tried to increase readership in the struggling X-Men. 

Or maybe they just knew that guest stars were awesome, and there wasn’t room in a split book to do it justice.

Totally agree.  I'm just saying they really missed opportunities to cross over within the shared books.  I don't think Doctor Strange ever meets the Torch, the Thing, or Nick Fury within Strange Tales.  I also don't think Cap and Iron Man meet up in TOS, except obviously in #58 when Cap is a guest just prior to getting his own feature.  Hulk does the same thing in TTA #59, and then after that I don't think he meets ol' Hank and Janet again within that book.  I think Tales to Astonish #100 (Hulk / Subby) is the only example where they did what I'm talking about.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14