• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
31 31

13,410 posts in this topic

Differences in scanners, too.

Not only that, but books look even better when they're not in a slab (especially the older varieties).  Here's the Massachusetts pedigree copy, never slabbed because of a small ding in the upper left hand corner:

FF79Mass.jpg.6503ccf577b637776a4748764452a6f6.jpg

Edited by namisgr

Busy days. Missed yesterday due to technical difficulties.

15B59DDE-391F-45AF-9099-93734EEC6030.thumb.jpeg.4400611969b0afa68712fdd412d54f6d.jpeg

211269FF-7E21-4DF6-981B-A48D2AE894C6.thumb.jpeg.0362d49babccd304a2bce76740c63269.jpeg

73B01B26-E331-4F7C-A116-86D386860211.thumb.jpeg.dcc7ce1fd63bce385f871bf32a6bace5.jpeg

Happy Halloween! The Word of the Day is “apotheosis”. It means the highest point of excellence. It applies to the Fantastic Four when Joe Sinnott inks the title. Not just beautiful; so good that when Kirby saw the finished pages, he had to up his game.

7B17D747-35F9-4873-9C16-9BEACDA22D3A.thumb.jpeg.e290191f57498d78e3c71e164a0c5398.jpeg

23 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

Just one today. I’m behind on my pitcher takin’.

D7E79E15-042E-4CB4-9CA7-C00B7AF30EF5.thumb.jpeg.af46d2a632688197eee3df6d64eee070.jpeg

800ABD7C-5C6A-4C55-A62B-783BAEB28989.jpeg

KirbyJack, how heated up or cooled down would you say the market is right now for FF? Someone just made a passing comment in a golden age post he thought the market was heating up, which surprised me. 

personally, I love em and think Stan got it right when he decided to declare it “The Worlds Greatest Comic Magazine”. But with still no great movie in sight, thought there was no real movement here

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

I’m certain that there was a big jump when the movie rights changed hands, but it seems to me that any current heat the title has is residual momentum. 
I don’t really qualify as an authority. I bought all my good stuff decades ago. I’ve never known the high grade or graded markets.
But, my outside opinion is that, yes, there’s more interest than there used to be before the rights sale. 

42 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I’m certain that there was a big jump when the movie rights changed hands, but it seems to me that any current heat the title has is residual momentum. 
I don’t really qualify as an authority. I bought all my good stuff decades ago. I’ve never known the high grade or graded markets.
But, my outside opinion is that, yes, there’s more interest than there used to be before the rights sale. 

There seems to have been general FF "heat" for the reasons you've described, but also compounded on particular issues with character-specific "heat" (Namor, Doom, Surfer, Watcher, the Inhumans, and let's not forget Black Panther which almost seems like old news now since his movie debut predates the transfer of rights to Marvel/Disney).

Oh, and toss in the Skrulls and Adam Warlock and Ronan and whoever else I'm forgetting.  It's truly stunning how many FF-spawned characters and concepts have shaped the MCU even though the FF themselves have yet to appear in it.  There's definitely an FF-sized hole in the MCU that desperately needs to be filled, and that anticipation is presumably going to keep building.

Edited by Sweet Lou 14

When I imagine an MCU treatment of the FF, I keep thinking the most awesome thing they could do would be to set it in the 1960s and really make it reflect the original feel of the Kirby-Lee universe, with Reed and Ben as WWII veterans living in the whole Cold War / space race setting.  Whoever the big villain is (Doom and Galactus being obvious choices), the FF's victory at the end of the movie could require such a reality-altering solution that they are trapped somewhere -- the Negative Zone, or whatever -- and essentially taken out of play so that they can resurface in a sequel set in the present day, thereby explaining why they haven't been in the entire Avengers arc while still firmly re-establishing them as the First Family of the Marvel universe.

When people ask me about a good Fantastic Four movie, I usually respond the same way. 
That movie has already been made, and it’s called “The Incredibles”. I knew I would never get the FF movie I want after that.