• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,603 posts in this topic

If you carefully read FFs 66 and 67, you notice that Jack and Stan are telling different stories. The “Him” arc was the last truly innovative concept Kirby would give to Fantastic Four. After this, it was a steady diet of androids and reruns. Still beautiful, still great, but never again what it was. Fantastic Four (35?) 44-67 are as good as comics get. I keep waiting to run into a collector who targets just this run. 

I really miss being a teen in the 70s. I always had time to read lots (and I mean LOTS) of comics at any time I wished. There was a time when I could tell you the history of pretty much all the Marvel superheroes. I read just about all the silver-age Marvel superhero comics. I never really needed those little notations in the stories that went something like "way back in issue #3".

You know how you were always told to count sheep to fall asleep? With me, it wasn't counting sheep, it was picturing the covers of FF (or DD, or any Marvel comic) from #1 to the current issue.

Nowadays, the only time I can find to read a comic is when I'm sitting on the throne. #reminiscing

26 minutes ago, Gaard said:

You know how you were always told to count sheep to fall asleep? With me, it wasn't counting sheep, it was picturing the covers of FF (or DD, or any Marvel comic) from #1 to the current issue.

I used to have a job cutting grass. I got to the point where I could tell how many more passes it would take to be done. I’d set a number, and then count down FF covers in my head. 
I thought I was the only person in the world to do that! 

Another side by side. Today is Fantastic Four 89 and Los 4 Fantasticos 116. A bright fun action packed cover featuring the Mole Man. I am showing the Pence as its same as the U.S. This one actually surprised me of all the differences. I love them both. Beyond the La Prensa layout there are "7" art differences between the two. This is not including coloring. The finer inks etc.

1. La Prensa has a shadow for Reed.
2. U.S. has a broken picture by Reed.
3. The telephone in the corner of the U.S. is a box in the La Prensa.
4 . There is a object being smashed at Thing's hand.
5. The lamp to the right is plugged into wall in the U.S. copy.
6. There are extra shards by the Thing. (Knowing that the La Prensa was likely the original concept we now know where the shard in front of theThing is from).
7. There in a pen set on the desk of the U.S.

75027886_10215980193317865_1136270496220839936_o.jpg

On 11/10/2019 at 8:37 AM, KirbyJack said:

Fantastic Four (35?) 44-67 are as good as comics get. I keep waiting to run into a collector who targets just this run. 

I’m not a big FF collector but I have 44-56, in varying conditions, so I’m a little over halfway to completing that particular run. My 52, however, is the 2006 second print. My 56 is a double cover so that’s kind of cool. Pics to follow.

Bending the boundaries of the thread a little bit to share this beauty I just picked up.  This book has been hard to track down.

566888990_MarvelSuper-Heroes20CGC9.6.thumb.jpg.e181f3bb74064e9c8d86b9270b5e266f.jpg

The CGC label says it's Larry Lieber art -- it doesn't specifically say it's a Lieber cover, but if it is then it's probably his best work ever.  Sure looks like Buscema to me.

These are the four annuals in my small FF collection. No. 3 is the Canadian variant. This copy has terrible color registration.

Edit: Sorry about the two sets of photos.

C6D5707E-C91E-48D5-9CBE-0052BF44B7A0.thumb.jpeg.063f1ae14df37cc5cf0bb3657f97ec46.jpeg

D9618013-6109-46F3-8671-13450FC16A83.thumb.jpeg.dafe7eaaba43dd15ebeffb95c94f076b.jpeg

3DE67F1F-B120-4B6C-B7CC-3469CBCA6242.jpeg

36C070D7-25DC-4C75-AB16-E3576E06A8AE.jpeg

Edited by JohnH19