• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,677 posts in this topic

On 11/22/2019 at 2:15 AM, Spaceguy said:

Hope this copies ok.  It did include the BP plus enough wear to justify the grade-guess the stamp is a bonus.  Lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/fantastic-four-1-marvel-1961-cgc-vf-85-white-pages/a/7212-91079.s?ic4=GalleryView-ShortDescription-071515

Beautiful book!  I wouldn't mind the big S at all. I wonder if it's from the newsstand or just some kid with a rubber stamp?

26 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

The end of the Kirby run. The end of the Silver Age. Romita is great, Buscema was great, but nobody could do it like Jack Kirby. 

562CACFA-BB0F-4A0A-A9BE-152E47304717.thumb.jpeg.c39f109271becbe500e60bf4cf6bee01.jpeg

I owe you a 108, too! Forgot the picture.

How very true...you had to be there, I was from #1 to really feel the void that was created when you opened the next issue and said...What happened!....I wish Jack and Steve never left.....well FF1 growing up was my favorite SA book hands down, with Spiderman too, but I thought John's art was great work and there just did not seem to be that much of a void..AT THE TIME...I will grant you in hindsight...what a change...still nobody could fill Jack's shoes on this run.

26 minutes ago, JohnH19 said:

As I’ve mentioned, I’m not a big FF collector but Annual #2 is on my want list.

I’ve often thought that folks like you should collect annuals. Not super into the FF, but maybe you want some representation of them in your collection? #1 is a super early Spidey appearance, 2 you know about, 3 is an unprecedented melee, 4 is from the absolute height of the silver age, 5 is the first solo Silver Surfer story, and 6 is my single favorite comic book of all time! 

Go get em! :bigsmile:

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

I would never forget the annuals!

08CC6904-26D2-4284-AF87-79EB07633D5C.thumb.jpeg.81067b5cc47a4f944024bcfe8347cdcd.jpeg

B68C10E2-2F84-48C1-A0E4-82A9B8A522D2.thumb.jpeg.548ac733c706fd45e20b09f4822be6af.jpeg

The annuals definitely took it up a level...FF1 annual is in my top 3 FF's of all time...the quality of these books are astounding. I started with the big Strange Tales Annual @1 in 62, But  in 63 when FF1 came out it really was unlike any comic book I had seen before...I think 36 pages...what a deal for 25 cents....Buying and reading that created such an impression, I can still remember where I bought, whom I bought it with)my Mom)...and seeing on the drugstore rack....saying WOW

Edited by Mmehdy

18 minutes ago, KirbyJack said:

I’ve often thought that folks like you should collect annuals. Not super into the FF, but maybe you want some representation of them in your collection? #1 is a super early Spidey appearance, 2 you know about, 3 is an unprecedented melee, 4 is from the absolute height of the silver age, 5 is the first solo Silver Surfer story, and 6 is my single favorite comic book of all time! 

Go get em! :bigsmile:

I posted pics of my FF collection a couple of pages back, including Annuals 1, 3, 5 and 6. I only need 2 and 4. (thumbsu

Nice!

Just to be clear, I wasn’t referring to you specifically, but collectors like you, who don’t really dig The Fantastic Four. 

I love all the SA Marvel annuals, even the titles that I don’t focus on. Straw-Man is keeping a Millie annual #1 warm for me!

38 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

The annuals definitely took it up a level...FF1 annual is in my top 3 FF's of all time...the quality of these books are astounding. I started with the big Strange Tales Annual @1 in 62, But  in 63 when FF1 came out it really was unlike any comic book I had seen before...I think 36 pages...what a deal for 25 cents....Buying and reading that created such an impression, I can still remember where I bought, whom I bought it with)my Mom)...and seeing on the drugstore rack....saying WOW

I envy anyone who got to read FF Annual 1 as a kid. What an epic! I can only imagine how amazed you must have been!

40 minutes ago, Mmehdy said:

I love comic memories :cloud9:

I can still remember where I was when I found my first 'annuals'(Marvel Tales#2 Canadian blank inside) and the wedding annual,same day.(Both blank inside).I can still remember the smell of the store,Arthurs-of porcupine tale legend.

2 hours ago, KirbyJack said:

My 108 is pretty beat for such a readily available item. 

An attempt was made to reassemble Kirby’s art for the issue, and to make a actual story of it. 
0430C0AF-67E9-411D-852B-1745D710E1C4.thumb.jpeg.05211c63d1235f153df9626003ee7258.jpeg

This is also essential for the Kirby FF completist.

On the list now KJ!